Connery's newest fail favorite "A2AM"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SNAFUS, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Tasogie

or they could jsut use what they have an be happy. Remember this is a simplistic game an it will never be complicated because SOE's target audience are young an generally not.... old enough.... to understand diversity.
  2. smokemaker

I use A2A missiles if the situation fits.
    I see no issues with them.
    Just whiners.
    • Up x 2
  3. CNR4806

Wow, one sleep and this has already turned into an Egopolis of Certain Self-Proclaimed Ace Pilots. I feel the need to quote myself from earlier in this thread.

• Up x 1
  4. Tasogie

Corwin sonshine, you are making yourself look a bit silly wityh all this grandstanding. Do yourself a favor mate an ease up, you are not some sort of elite warrior, you are just a computer game player, a "geek" like rest of us. Hell I was a Deep Sea Trawlerman for over 20 years, (Deadliest Catch without the Americans :p ) an I am a geek to, but the difference between you an I, is I dont see myself as something special an keep telling everyone that I am.

For last time today, jsut play your game mate, an stop worrying yourself about how everyone els plays.
    • Up x 1
  5. Corewin

How am I lecturing YOU on skill? Not to mention the fact that I do agree that those types of "hacker" situations do happen. However, there are those who are actually pretty darn good at shooting people down in single clips, sometimes even while the enemy is moving. You've probably only experienced a hacker killing you maybe .1% of your deaths tho.
  6. Corewin

Tasogie, I get the feeling you are misunderstanding where I am coming from here. This isn't about chest beating or wanting everything MY way. It is in the interest of this game that I make the argument that A2A missiles (arguably all missiles) need to be entirely gutted and rebuilt from the ground up as a weapon, that through active involvement of the pilot or person using them, would only then be able to strike targets. Fire and forget needs to be removed from this game, but those in the air feel it the most. I am not about to involve myself in an infantry vs infantry discussion or tank vs tank. What I do know, extensively at that, is how the air game works from all angles. If I make a point, it is grounded in fact and experience, not hearsay and wishful thinking.
  7. MykeMichail

So A2AM are noob... but Striker spam from invisible infantry 500m away isn't?
  8. phreec

Tired of being bad? We've got the perfect solution for you: AIR TO AIR MISSILES!

A2A missiles are the perfect tools for tools. No skill required.

Get yours now for only $7!
    • Up x 2
  9. Sledgecrushr

I dont think a2a missiles are good enough. They need to be more inline with what a modern jetfighter can do.
  10. CNR4806

They are fine as they are right now if you ask me. Good enough to give you an edge in A2A combat, not good enough to make guns next-to-useless like they do in real life.

If you insist though...

To make A2AMs more "real-life-ish", there are only several ways to go:
    1. Extend range
    2. Shorter lock-on time
    3. More damage
    4. Make flares not 100% fooling a missile in-flight (Nevermind, just remembered that people hate random chance in game)
    5. Salvo firing (ie. Ability to fire more than one missile at once)

And in return the counter:
    1. Faster aircraft in general*
    2. Occasional missile failure (Same as above)
    3. Free usage of flares (ie. Release flares as you see fit without time limit, but flares are finite and needs to be supplied like ammo, which the amount you carry can be upgraded)

* This will require another AA buff, mostly on flak RoF.
  11. SNAFUS

It would probably take a platoon of you A2AM bads to pull off a kill.
  12. SNAFUS

That flare gives you five seconds of reprieve and in a high alt dogfight that is far from enough. And again why should we cater to players that lack the skill to aim with his nose gun. Flying takes skill, one of the few remaining things in PS2 to require it. But the A2AM pisses on that as it gives players a near 100% chance of hit if no flares are deployed. Giving a to large of an advantage to players who rely on them to stay relevant.
  13. San

I'm mostly amused that the whine is so strong from a TR primary.

The rest of the factions have to deal with the striker zerg so they are far more likely to have their flares already on C/D. Oh also Strikers still tend to hit even if you flare them off so there is that little joy...

A2AM feel lame but they are a decent trade off for the ESF and remove a significant chunk of its ground attack capability.
  14. FuriousSquirrel

I've used A2AM after the buff, and honestly I have no problem gunning people either. I find the missiles useful for taking down dangerous Lib pilots as they can easily be fired out of Dalton range.
    Secondly, I've used them against pilots that get out of the effective range of my rotary and start wobbling to dodge my rounds, all I do is lock them up and there wobble is no more.

To say people are nubs and have no honor in dogfights is stupid SNAFU, I have no problem dogfighting with or without them, so if I kileld someone with it, does that instantly take away my honor of dogfights? Far from it, if I get into a dogfight with another pilot, A2AM are the last thing I will use as they are far from effective when your dancing in the air with them.

They are a great support weapon, I support use of them, I've still killed morons using them on me by simply turning dodging the missile and blasting them away.

In my opinion, if you can easily gun people down and I lock someone up, it encourages to think I'm a A2AM noob like you so eloquently put it and they turn to fight me, leads to their death.

The only real pilots I've ever had trouble killing were 2 Future Crew pilots (one being Barbacua, the other MetalFig), if I can't keep them in my effective range then I'll lose the dogfight head to head, they fire quite accurately at range and I've used A2AM on them to help close the distance by forcing his hand.

If you think I have no honor for using them well too ******* bad, I'll keep my teammates alive, keep the skies clear, and laugh at everyone while I gain certs.
    • Up x 1
  15. SNAFUS

I have fully supported the castration of the stryker as it is another skill less lock on weapon. And just because another weapon system has ****** with game balanced doesn't mean another one is justified. But A2AM current form give way to much capability with no demand of skill to use correctly. It only gets worse as the start to fly together and just spam away with no worry about missing a target.
  16. CNR4806

My offer to bring you to a lockon-less MMOFPS is still valid.

You have been attempting to resurrect the "BUT THEY DONT HAVE MY 1337 SKILLZ THEY SHUD NOT FLY IN THE SAME SKY AS MINE BAWWWWWWWWWW" point way too many times, and I just got this perfect solution for you some pages ago because lock-ons are to stay.

Let me stress this again: An A2A weapon being effective at A2A is justified, and frankly they aren't even that effective. They are an assist to rotary at best at their current state unless they're scavenging kills.
  17. KaneSeere

Let me put it this way, why should we cater to your level of elitism?
    • Up x 2
  18. LT_Latency

I understand the point but i think it's fine.

This is a FPS and most people focus on ground forces and need something to give them a chance in the air. If this was a flight simulator or there were more people that took flying very very seriously I would be more incline to agree with you.

Most people can barley fly around without crashing into the ground, they will never even try to fly if they don't have a tool that at least lets them do some damage
  19. KAHR-Alpha

What was the buff exactly? I can't seem to find anything in the patch notes =/
  20. SNAFUS

Any game that continues to dumb down its mechanics will be short lived as there really is no obtainable goal. PS2 already has meta game issues and a complete lack of reason to fight. Giving players a difficult aspect of the game that takes hundreds of hours to master gives players something to strive for. Though EVE is not a perfect example it has in my opinion one of the largest learning curve of any game. But yet it does very well and it has a down right cut throat elitist attitude. People want a challenge and they want goals. Giving an easy mode weapon that takes minimal brain functions to operate successfully will only destroy the last bastion of meta game in PS2.
    • Up x 1