Vehicle IR/NV

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Seron, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Seron

So i just read this on the more extended patch notes just put in by Luperza:

Can someone explain me another reason to use Night-vision besides highlighting enemies? Maybe to simulate Colorblindness?

Sure some of you will go now: it should only be used to see better in the Dark... See what better?, pray tell.. the trees? mountains? Yea i'm sure everyone used Nightvision to looks at the nightly scenery.

So looks like all and any IR/NV scopes will be useless. Delay and sway to infantry ones, removing of all functionality to vehicle one.

Pretty sure they're working on a Night vision Implant or something and want these pesky scope thingies out of the way.

Pls someone tell me i'm wrong... I love IR/NV scopes how the hell is this balancing? this is not even nerfing, this is utterly destroying the most common used scope.

All those dalton and zephyr gunners, HE-lightnings, Flash-fury's, Harraser-(insert OP guns here)'s.
  2. Morti

cause 50 certs for a optics upgrade that pretty much locates all infantry for you, even in the day, is somewhat OP?

I use it on just about each vehicle. I also sympathize for infantry who are trying not to be detected, only to show up as another "shoot me" white glowing thing.
    • Up x 1
  3. Zamos

Maybe they will not glow so much cause if they blend-in thats full ****** change by SOE :eek: Color Blind simulator LOLOLOL
  4. Seron

Yea i agree that it couldve use some adjusting, especially against the thermal one. But this is not adjusting. this is removing all the functionality it has.. Why else would anyone buy/use it if not to see enemies better in the dark?
    • Up x 2
  5. ChrisLand

...and the rage begins.
    • Up x 1
  6. phreec

Oh who would've thought Night Vision to actually work as Night Vision now and Thermal as Thermal. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  7. KAHR-Alpha

Well, the patch notes also say they have a longer range, so hopefull we got a "massive" increase in the IR range, making fighting at night easier.
  8. Seron

I really hope so, but somehow i doubt massive will truly be massive. Appearantly i'm misunderstanding highlighting as well.. Enemies will still be highlighted (contoured) with the scope but not as those glowy white thingies. Would have to check ingame how that would work out.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

op, you're spoiled from the ps2 game mechanics. a pure nightvision scope should have never highlighted enemies in the first place for the user. no nightvision device does that except the special IRNV scopes, but those aren't pure nightvision. nightvision is only here for helping you (guess what) see at night in dark areas, as the name implies

on the other hand, thermalvision is supposed to highlight enemies and that's what it does in the game right now. hopefully they didn't change/nerf it in GU11 because for 200certs it's already expensive enough and has a very limited drawing distance
  10. Vikingo

I agree with this, however the wasted NV certs still leaves a sour taste.
  11. phreec

Certs come and go. I have NV on most of my vehicles but meh, 50 certs isn't that bad. It still has better range than Thermal though so it still has some sort of use.

Vehicle Night Vision Optics
    • Vehicle Night Vision Optics no longer highlights enemies
    • Thermal Optics still highlight enemies
    • To compensate, Night Vision has a longer range than Thermal Optics
  12. Shinrah

While correct, PS2 Nights aren´t dark enough to make NV any useful on VHC´s. So in this case it simply makes those scopes obsolete. They could´ve tuned down the "glow" on enemy units, lowered the range compared to Thermal optics etc. But this sounds stupid to me tbh.
    • Up x 1
  13. gloowa

the problem isn't NV, the problem is nights being so bright you can see everything.

i remember back in beta there was a time when night were -> DARK <-
    if we had those, NV would have some use.
    • Up x 1
  14. Seron

50 certs * all my vehicles * 75% of all my guns does add up tough.

Now if they wouldve increase the range of the thermal scope to the normal range of the NV that wouldve make up some of it. Now this is basically a nerf to "highlighting-scopes" as thermal doesn't get the range the NV had.

But appearantly enemies will still be contoured a bit (which i also understood as highlighting) so probably best to see how that turn out in game.

and otherwise, have to start saving for thermal on my most used guns
  15. DOXaus123

[IMG]

On the PTS the above is all it does now, doesnt even have the white highlights around terrain/trees etc anymore.
    • Up x 3
  16. KAHR-Alpha

What about the range?
  17. phreec

Aye, but 50 certs is still a fart in the wind compared to the price of Thermals. Now THAT would suck to replace on all vehicles...

* I fail to see the problem with that. They basically work as glorified chamhacks and are too easy to use with no downsides since you can simply toggle it off when you don't need it.
  18. Seron

Well see that is what i tought.. That is the highlights (contours) i meant (not the White glowy thing), this is basically removing all functionality from this scope.
  19. VinLAURiA

Y'know, I hear that a lot. Am I the only one who actually sees the night in-game as nearly pitch black without some sort of light source or NV scope?

I don't mind losing the highlighting of enemies, but I kinda relied on those outlines of the terrain to help me navigate in the dark without revealing myself through using the headlights. Trying to stealth-drive with a Flash at night now is gonna be a real pain in the neck, considering I don't pull Infiltrator often enough to cert into Wraith. Not like I'd wanna give up my turbo module anyway.
  20. Bindlestiff

The vehicle (NV) and infantry (IRNV) are different on the PTS right now (or late yesterday if I'm honest). The vehicle one is as you describe, but the infantry one looks like this:

and