Higby's reddit post.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zib1911, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MichaelS

does this guy even have a PS2 forum account? its such a pity that this forum is used for everything but communication with SOE.
    • Up x 3
  2. RobotNinja

Everyone knows that if you wanna be in the know about the latest PS2 news you have to subscribe to Higby's twitter feed so you can be the first person to know important information like,

"Finally got around to sawing up and throwing away the desiccated xmas tree that's been chilling on my back patio for >6 months."
    • Up x 1
  3. Angry Scientist

I don't always pull a tank because it isn't always time to pull a tank. Or sometimes I just want to foot it. That doesn't mean crushing half my resources every time I do pull a tank is the logical outcome.

And yeah, I call BS on the increased resources on the underpopped faction. No, not in the sense that it doesn't exist - it's fairly clear when you're warpgated and earning slightly more then 10 in every resource per tick. But in the fact that it does anything. If you're underpopped, you don't hold much territory. Without territory, you don't have much in the way of resource gain. I think you can see where I'm going with this.
    • Up x 1
  4. Klondik3

So removing the ability to spam vehicles is a cash grab?
    Hell I wish all cash grabs improved the gameplay like this one.
    • Up x 6
  5. lolitank

how is making tank players unhappy improved gameplay?
    • Up x 2
  6. llPendragon

^This

Playing careful is great, but when your MBT can be destroyed by any single guy out there then playing careful just won't help much.
    • Up x 3
  7. Klondik3

Logic 101:
    1)Is gameplay quality solely determined by satisfaction of those who play tanks?
    2)Will the change make all tank players unhappy?
  8. Garakan

Yo, Bro!
    But making Vehicles rare in their current State is as idiotic as allowing them to Shell the Hell out of all the bad designed Bases that are not defendable.
    • Up x 2
  9. lolitank

yes? lol every tank user i seen on this forums hates it so far

and like someone said on a thread you do not comprise someone else's happiness for someone else
    • Up x 1
  10. Loco

If you think tanks are not force multipliers you are smoking some good stuff. I never play tank, because it just requires less skill. You are guaranteed to get a few kills in a big battle, just aim for infantry and bamb. You can be a total nub who runs 0.5 KD ratio with infantry and still pull at least 3 KD ratio with a tank average. There are so many things you can hit that will kill it instantly or close to instantly, and the AOE component makes it easy to use. Yes if you run your tank near cliffs expect to be c4'd, yes if you run it at a cliff with 20 infantry expect to get 6 rockets at once.

HOWEVER, expect to run into an infantry alone, you will kill it, expect to run into a lighting, sundy, or quad expect to kill it. As an infantry non MAX player, I cannot "expect" to kill anything, every battle if I am going to take on a tank, or a plane, or other infantry it comes down to skill and response time.

So when I hear people complain that planes or tanks are too weak, it makes me laugh. You are not running around naked where everything can kill you instantly. C4 is the only instant killer for a tank, you have advanced warning to bail, back up and heal depending on sitaution. If you are outnumbered well good luck ANYTHING will die when crazy outnumbered.
  11. SteelMantis

Not all tank players will unhappy with the increased resource cost. I've spent more time in a MBT then doing anything else and I'm looking forward to seeing how this will effect the game.

It's not going to stop me from pulling tanks but if I mess up after blowing up my tank twice in a short time who ever I'm fighting will get a break. It's not uncommon for me to go an hour or so in the same tank though in which case all this means is it's time to put away the AP cannon and farm some infantry zergs.

Well that and I'm gonna have to stop using a Lighting as a LA taxi.:rolleyes:
  12. lolitank

uh what tanks are very hard to maintain in battle they are very large targets and everyone and there mother seems to jumps for joy to C4 it
    • Up x 1
  13. Ranik

Logic 102:

1) Is gameplay quality solely determined by the satisfaction of those who zerg with infantry and use free, infinite use AV options or paid half price instant kill options?

2) Will the change further push what was already a dieing playstyle further into the corner since tanks were already considered nothing more than artillery pieces to be kept far away from infantry of any sort. And even at ranges of 150+ they were still vulnerable to all manner of AV Particularly AV mana turrets , ESRLS and max weapons.

Infantry only players are basically creaming themselves over this change. And they are doing so from their complete and utter ignorance. The only reason armor even functions right now is because it is so spammable. In the measure of Infantry vs armor infantry win hands down. The only time they didn't is if you were able to form a gargantuan tarball of armor. Now however that tarball is going to get thinner but the armor won't get any stronger. And thus the already powerful infantry players rejoiced "Free XP pinata's!!!" At least until Armor dies out completely. As many outfit players have said. Nobody really dedicates to armor anymore. Because it's the worst bet to make already and is about to get 3x worse.
    • Up x 2
  14. holycaveman

The sad truth is most of us have a favorite role we play regardless of what is needed on our side. When you log in you usually jump right in this. Making resources harder to obtain(generally) is a good thing if you are a team person. This way a guy with certed passive systems does not just drive a tank all day regardless of anything else, or an esf, what have you. It should in theory encourage organization and team play.

I believe though that people want to just play their favorite more than anything. So it probably will discourage many. But good for Higby to actually try and keep this game from completely becoming another COD with armor.

And from a business standpoint it encourages memberships. Because it will be hard now to spam a tank all day without being a member. Also this will cut down on 50 tanks rushing a spawn point. And 10 max's blowing air out of the sky. 20 esf attacking a base, etc....

Overall I think its a good move.
  15. BreakingGame

Is Higby afraid of this forum or something? I mean what the hell.

they spread all this info around so it's not obvious what the motive is.

in a nutshell as follows....

SOE: "please buy more boosts"

PS2 Player : "i don't need them it's not pay-to-win game"

SOE: "GU011 patch notes: Purchasing of resource boosts or memberships will now be the only way to get enough resources to play the game the way you want kbye"
    • Up x 2
  16. Flavo

I think this attitude is part of the problem Higby is trying to address. There are not meant to be 'tank users' or 'esf users' or anything of the like. You are not supposed to be able to spend the entirety of your playtime inside the same type of vehicle. You're supposed to adapt to the situation and pull whatever helps your empire most at that point in time. Sorry if that tastes bitter, but I love tanking myself and can see that much.
  17. Klondik3

I also spend a lot of time in tank but I also play other roles when needed. I'm looking forward to these changes mostly because of two reasons
    a)It will open up new strategy - attrition warfare.
    b)Ground units will have better chance of suppressing enemy AA which could open up a possibility of efficient air/ground coordination.

You are bound to compromise someone else's happiness to certain extent simply by choosing to play multiplayer game.
  18. lolitank

i drive nothing but tanks cause i suck at flying i hate Infantry i very good at tanking i even told my outfit that i am a tank i will not join fights in bio lab i will keep the sundy safe and keep the outpost ares and they said ok you are in the armor group of the outfit and now what i should do the stuff i suck at or hate cause they want to *stop* zergs? you do know now all the people that zerg will go ESF zergs
    • Up x 1
  19. Morpholine

I'm taking a wait-and-see stance. It's certainly true for my typical play style, resources of any kind are rarely a limiting factor. The only times I can really remember worrying about resource levels were after a prolonged fight against both enemy empires attempting to warp gate us.
  20. holycaveman

Flying is the hardest thing. So I don't think everyone will flock to esf.

You are good in a tank and enjoy it. Thats fine. Now you are either going to have to get better, or buy boosts. Its just the way the game is. Adapt and overcome or get lost in the shuffle.