FNO sneek-peek. Dome shields preventing air attacks over bases.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baleur, May 24, 2013.

1. Macchus

they need to remove jump jets . and the ability to throw c4 . people could boomer(pretty much future c4) vehicles in planetside1 , but they had to place it so it didnt happen all the time plus , i think boomers were alot weaker than ps2 c4.
    • Up x 1
  2. xen3000

This is an excellent mechanic and if implemented correctly could be a blessing to infantry and air (to air due to invincible infantry/max AA from spawn won't work) and greatly improve the game. Unfortunately SOE is implementing, so maybe 8-10 GUs after they are implemented they will fix them and replace it with something else as the most annoying new feature to the game.
  3. Phrygen

they need to add generators to these things, at least on some of the bases.

Its great for infantry and for a2a flyers... but its not great for lib pilots.
    • Up x 1
  4. xen3000

I am perfectly happy with Libs never being able to fire on a spawn building without being in spitting distance.
  5. Delta102

This will be a good change only if they nerf bursters effective range to match the shield. If they leave bursters as is then this will just be a further nerf to air gameplay.

Basically vehicles should be king in the open areas not infantry like it is with currently gameplay.
  6. WalrusJones

I think its them experimenting in restoring bases to their PS1 glory: Infantry battlefields, where as vehicle battles happened inbetween bases and it was a big, HE spam battlefield.

Of course, we currently lack the hybrid anti-infantry, anti-av weapons like the rocklet launcher that made combined arms accessible and interesting.
    It did the following:
    - It was an effective infantry suppression tool, with highly visible rockets when loaded via rocket pods, rockets were very damaging at any range, but it took a full magazine to kill a RE-Exo suit soldier, which was hard because they were easily dodgeable (At range, or with the sky to your back, you would get messed up if you were downhill, at close range.)
    -- They were good at softening enemy armor, making them more vunerable to small arms fire.
    - They could be massed to seriously damage tanks, 20 rocklet shots would kill a lightning, meaning that 2/3 infantry could drive off a tank if they got the jump on it (It would take 5-6 to drive off a prowler with reactionary fire.)
    - They could be loaded with frag grenades to create a short range flack gun that was VERY high skill, direct hits doing massive damage, indirect hits doing very little. A master infantry man with the rocklet launcher COULD Beat an incompitent air unit. A few days ago I beat a reaver (Only rocket pod vehicle in PS1,) 1 on 1. It was at full health (I use an implant that lets me see enemy health, so I know who to shoot first.)

Of course, I am a massive special assault nut who worked for the Vanu in ps1 (In favor of their flamboyant nature.)
    So, anything that lets me see my old suppression-flushing toys return will make me :D
    • Up x 1
  7. NoctD

Wow - and I thought the game couldn't get any sillier. They are really making air operate in a separate bubble?

SOE has reached a total new low level of stupidity.
  8. HadesR

Watching the Stream the Domes look quite high, and with Airs ability to pass through them IMO the only ones who will mostly suffer are Libs .. Those players who did Low altitude podding will still be able to by dipping into the dome . Honestly it might even give them a slight benefit in the sense that once they dip out of the shield again they will be immune to AA from inside the base.

I can imagine the tactic of Shield skimming will be used by a lot of pilots.
    • Up x 2
  9. Purg

You can't fire in and you can't fire out. Bursters inside the dome can't hit air outside the dome.

I thought this was quite an elegant solution to those complaining about Bursters smacking air from hexes away and being invulnerable inside spawn rooms. If an ESF wants to deal damage, it goes through the shield, unloads and leaves. Once it's escaped through the shield barrier, those inside the shield can't damage it.

But as above, a lot of fights are happening between bases where a shield would not cover.
  10. Goretzu

This seems like a brilliant idea by SOE to be fair, should mean any futher nerfs to Air are held off on too.
  11. Cowabunga

Th
    They have created special "sunderer parking" areas, attackers have the ability to drive their sunderers inside and have a more defensible position with it.
  12. Rown

I think they've realized that a proper combined arms game won't arise from purely base and weapons design and they need to put more heavy handed measures to ensure everything has a place. In this case, indoors fighting is something that belongs to infantry, outdoors is the vehicle realm; you can't reach a base on foot because you'll be teared apart by tanks and air, and once you're there you can't park your libs and tanks in front of the spawn room once the point is flipped and instead need to use an infantry assault.

For that to work however they'll have to nerf bursters and ESRL severely.
  13. ArcKnight

NO that would make all the certs people invested in LA worthless
  14. MrIDoK

Well, my autorepair+fire suppression combo is going to be invaluable for farming infantry under the domes now. And with no retaliation it's going to be glorious... :)
    Can't wait for zepher libs going in and out of the domes to farm infantry and repair while being invulnerable.

Other than that, the addition of more walls is nice, but i'd love to see wider areas where vehicles can't get to. It's been a month since i had a decent fight in the open and used my battle rifle :(
  15. HadesR

I also think they are finding a combined arms game of this scale harder to balance than they imagined. By somewhat separating unit types it could allow them greater freedom to tweak things IE: MBT Health
  16. Nogrim313

so now sunderers are stuck out side of 20+ ft walls with little to no cover with all the air that no longer has anything to do.... yeah that will make base assaults fun..

personally i hate the bio lab fights and have always tried to avoid them, thankfully there were places i could go, now every base is going to be a ******* bio lab fight, i didn't get excited about an open world combined arms game to be forced in to corridors and infantry only areas

these shields are gimmicky and just limit the combined arms aspect, let me guess this is so you can add in orbital strikes that are ridiculous out side of the base shields but cant go through them isn't it

we will now have the added bonus of all the AA being ringed around the base stepping in/out of base shield just like spawn shields not to mention the tanks etc. that will do the same
    • Up x 2
  17. HadesR

In the examples they showed the shields do not extend fully to the ground / walls . There is a gap of a few metres which would hopefully stop what you mention.
  18. MaxDamage

Those walls are hideously ugly. Please don't release those blocky walls into game.

The domes look OK but then WTF are liberators for if they can't bomb courtyards?!

I don't mind capitol shields like PS1 over 1 crucial base, but over all of them and satellites is madness.
    • Up x 1
  19. gudman591

What? Did you just propose to remove a class from the game?
  20. Consumer

Hm, this is quite a strange addition. But I'd prefer these domes over every base than no bases at all. I'm actually quite sick of Liberators when protected by friendly ESFs and can hold their own well against enemy ESFs. I think it's rather preposterous that one branch of "combined warfare" can completely hold down resistance. Ground vehicles can't hold down because they're not nearly versatile enough to prevent troops from slipping through. Infantry can't hold down air particularly well with high-altitude or air flying directly above protected areas unless they are expecting air and have the proper air deterrence, but that's besides the point in considering offensive superiority.

I'm not one to complain incessantly about air power because, having flown ESFs and Liberators a fair portion of my total playtime, I know that their defense isn't fantastic. But Liberators can absorb quite a few shots when you're hovering at a steep angle and the only shots you're taking are those from players putting themselves in clear risk by trying to get a line of sight outside of shield protection. ESFs, on the other hand, can take so little damage that they can't quite afford doing the same thing and I almost never have an issue playing as or against ESF pilots.

Really, I like that Liberators exist. But I've really had more battles ruined when a Liberator or two decided to completely lock down an otherwise very interesting and balanced battle even with enemy armor and ESFs. And I've really felt worse playing as a Liberator pilot or gunner and having the maneuverability, defense, and firepower to farm infantry or deter and defeat enemy air. While air is a necessary and fun element of battle, Liberators in particular can ruin so much fun for both the defenders and attackers that I think it's hugely better to completely take them out of the equation of the battle within than have them completely end resistance.

And I don't believe it's going to make Liberators or air altogether useless. Of course it means pilots aren't going to be farming or hunting infantry and ground vehicles with their pants down. But it also means that, while air can't lock down resistance within the battle, they are able to lock down resistance around it, should it be armor or air support.

It's hellishly painful when a battle is 99% ended by a couple Liberators when, previously, enemy air superiority only meant a fleet of ESFs that could be handled and deterred almost as handily as they dealt firepower to us. Then, you might find that Liberator pilots and gunners actually insult you for hiding within spawn doors firing Bursters or rockets while they vaporize any squishy body that takes a step out and isn't lucky enough to get trapped hiding in a neighboring building. It's an insult so entirely unfair knowing their ridiculous K/D and SPM that I can often achieve in a Liberator myself abusing the same tactics while I spend time pointlessly getting "Air-to-Ground Damage" point rewards that ESFs have to actually be afraid of but Liberators can shrug off before retreating to repair for an entire minute.

I don't want to see Liberators become incredibly weak either, because, again, having flown them, I obviously know they're not invulnerable. They're practically invulnerable in a situation where neither enemy ground nor air can effectively counter, but in most other situations, they can go down pretty fast with flak, rockets, or enemy air. So considering that weakening Liberators isn't a smart idea and there is never a perfect solution, I applaud the designers for actually coming up with this idea, because it really is one of the best possible while preserving the integrity of the three corps of combined arms.

While I don't pride myself in being exceptional in air or ground, I do pride myself in actually putting in the effort to spend significant amounts of time in air and ground vehicles as well as infantry. I don't want to see this idea meet seemingly unanimous negativity when it's going to largely come from players who do not spend quite as much time with their boots on the ground. It would mean that I'm not going to get quite as much XP flying around blowing infantry to bits while they're busy fighting friendly infantry or armor, but that's really the least concern in considering the enjoyment of not only infantry but the process of facility capturing/defending altogether.