Annihilator vs Striker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, May 21, 2013.

1. Alarox

Annihilator-
    *DPS: 156
    *Damage/Mag: 1200
    *Damage/Ammo-Pool: 4800
    Lock-On Time: 3s
    Reload: 4.7s
    Speed: 100m/s
    Rocket Drop: 0.5

Striker-
    *DPS: 238
    *Damage/Mag: 2500
    *Damage/Ammo-Pool: 7500
    Lock-On Time: 2.25s
    Reload: 4.4-5s
    Speed: 100m/s
    Rocket Drop: 1

(*): without splash damage

-----------------

Discuss.
    • Up x 4
  2. Zamos

Striker really does 2500 dmg while Glancer and Phoenix do 750 ? ahahhahahahahhaahhahah
  3. Radant

Looks like power-creep. I never use my annihilator anymore, and for good reason... the Striker is a clear upgrade (as opposed to a side-grade).
  4. Morpholine

As I said since they introduced it - it's two annihilators strapped together.

But any second now some TR will come along with a list of reasons why it is weak.
    • Up x 3
  5. pnkdth

I hear it sucks because it doesn't go through terrain :eek:
    • Up x 1
  6. LahLahSr

What is missing from this comparison is the lock-on accuracy.

A moving Harasser or Tank at speed will cause the Annihilator and other lock-on launchers to miss, whereas the Striker does not.

In practical use the Striker is even better than what the numbers suggest.
  7. Messaiga

Actually the Lancer and the Phoenix have damage multipliers against tanks, like the Phoenix has a 2.67 modifier against ALL ground vehicles giving it a damage of about 2000 per rocket without including vehicle resistances, the Lancer has a modifier of 2 without any resistances against ALL ground vehicles giving it a damage of 1500 at full charge. The reason the base damage is so low is to prevent it from doing a 1HKO against infantry.
    • Up x 1
  8. Alarox

9. LonelyTerran

Why should a common pool variant be on par with an Empire specific variant?
    Not even Higbious Prime would do that.
    • Up x 1
  10. KAHR-Alpha

Why should the annihilator perform nearly as well as the striker, thus giving every faction a striker equivalent?
    • Up x 2
  11. Eclipson

Higby actually said on a reddit post that the Striker was SUPPOSED to be straight up better then the annihilator. He said if there were ever NS variants of the Phenonix of Lancer, then those would be worse then the Phenoix and Lancer. What is the purpose of this thread? Whats it trying to prove? That the annihilator is worse then the Striker? Because its supposed to be. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  12. Alarox

So, by your reasoning, the severe Striker vs Annihilator imbalance is justified because NC/VS have a Phoenix and a Lancer?
  13. Ghosty11

You can still dumb fire the Annihilator, so it can still kill turrets, infantry, MAXes and vehicles at short range thus giving it a better score than the lock-on only Striker.
  14. metrotw

I'll trade my striker for a Lancer ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. At least vs\nc can hear it coming and have countermeasures against the striker..the ******* lancer in squad use is flat out ridiculous in it's range and power. Lockdown is TOTALLY NEGATED by the lancer..that is 1700 certs worth of an ability I don't even bother with anymore against the VS since it means instant death. The distance at which lockdown is even remotely viable these days isn't even HALF of the range that the lancer has. That means 1/2 a squad of coordinating HA off to a flank can insta gib lockdown prowlers and they will never even know it is coming.

I've said this before...if we (the enclave) had access to the lancer it would NEVER have gotten the buffs it did and quite frankly probably would have been nerfed to hell and back.
  15. Alarox

If you guys want to talk faction balance...

Why should the Annihilator perform less than half as effectively as a Striker?

I'm not of the opinion that they should be on equal ground. However, I think the Annihilator shouldn't be completely outclassed and in an entirely different league.

Look at it this way:

AV only rockets:
    Phoenix
    Lancer
    NS Decimator
    Each faction AV lock-on launcher

AA only rockets:
    Each faction AA lock-on launcher

Both AA and AV rockets:
    Striker
    NS Annihilator

--------------------------

Every faction has AV only and AA only launchers. However, only the TR have a launcher with both. The other 2 factions have an NS weapon that performs less than half as well.

Basically, the TR can fight vehicles just as well as the NC/VS, but the NC/VS can't fight AA and vehicles at the same time nearly as well.

TR have effective launchers to fill the role of AV. Both the NC/VS faction specific launchers are AV only. NC/VS don't have an effective launcher to fill the role of AA and AV at once. TR faction specific launcher is AA and AV at once.
  16. KAHR-Alpha

The annihilator was a mistake, from the start the AA/AV lock-on launchers were a TR thing. For whatever reasons they decided it would be neat to give that ability to everyone (some will say $$$ at that point). That thing should never have been in the game, get over it.
  17. Alarox

No you can't, first of all.

Secondly, I already posted the statistics showing the Striker performing the best of all Launchers, and about 2.5x as effective as an Annihilator.
  18. Eclipson

Thats SOEs fault. There the smart ones who decided to just copy and paste the annihilator and give us the annihilator 2.0. Most TR didn't even want the Striker. Its their laziness, and deciding not to be creative with TR yet again, that caused this. The Striker has to be better then the annihilator because the annihilator is an NS weapons. The Striker is our ESL, all factions SHOULDN'T have access to a weapon thats even close to as good as the Striker. If you want a weapon thats almost as good as the Striker, then I want NS variants of the Lancer and Pheonix that are almost as good as the Lancer and Phoenix.
  19. Alarox

So basically what I should take from your post is this:

TR: Should get effective AV and AA options
    NC/VS: Should get effective AV options
  20. Alarox

NC/VS have nothing on the level of AA as the Striker. Closest they have is essentially an Annihilator with 300 more damage per hit.

However, TR can use AV just as well dealing more damage than a Lancer at a longer range than a Phoenix. On this same launcher, they can also use AA.

TR have better AA on a launcher than has effective AV as well.

Due this this imbalance, the Annihilator should be a reasonable alternative.