MBTs need a health buff and dedicated crews.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Goldoche429, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Bearcat

You're welcome, buddy. I thought I would save you some effort since we already lost this battle, but knock yourself out.
  2. Obscura

So you're asking for MBT's to be giant death machines that rain terror on upon everything they meet even without support? Come on, rolling around with 10 other MBT's from your is NOT zerging, it's called a ******* armor column. Tanks aren't supposed to be able to do well without support from their team-mates.
  3. Obscura

Uhhh no. Your idea is fine up to the point where you mention that magriders will be crap in comparison to the other two MBT's. Less armor, less fire power, and with the same EXACT maneuverability we have now? Why don't you just give us vanguards instead? Now if you increased our mobility and strafe speed by ALOT this might be ok. Sounds like you have some inner fear of magriders strafing your shots and taking out your 3/3 tank with a 2/2 crew. We're the faction of technology, we should have a strong MBT that actually matches our faction niche
  4. Krzysiek85

terrible idea, tanks are ok with 2 ppl crews,

whats necessary is Mana AV turret range and cooldown
    and tank-rear rocketpod instagibbing nerf
  5. smokemaker

Keep the rear armor weakness, after that I see only positives in more crewman.
    :)
    • Up x 1
  6. EliteEskimo

'Of course you do, more XP for your rocketpods:rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  7. loleator

Stop the "dedicated crew" nosense.

Most libs already run 2/3 because of how difficult it is to find decent gunners.

If you want to test your driving skills/you're terrible at aiming you should probably play a NFS game.
    • Up x 2
  8. Chioxin

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Isn't that the same thing as the current magrider? That looks like a fixed main turret on the front and a smaller turret on top. =p
    • Up x 3
  9. Gavyne

MBT's are fine for what they are. They're big giant targets when roaming alone or charging out in front of the line. But when supported by other vehicles & tanks, by other ESF's & Libs, by other infantry, MBT's are pretty darn scary.

I don't really like the whole dedicated driver idea, but I'm not opposed to new vehicles that are multi-personnel. Other games have armored cars with multiple guns on the sides, where drivers drive, and gunners shoot. Heck we have that in this game, they're called sunderers. Sundies are actually pretty powerful when you can find dedicated gunners that know how to shoot and when to shoot. I've seen some drive-by sundies that cause a lot of havoc to the infantry.
  10. Goldoche429

I know my magrider idea isn't the best. The problem is that their non-rotatable turret would be really boring for the main gunner if they'd have the same changes as the other tanks. I tried to make them more like PS1, by having a weak main turret and a good secondary, so soloing becomes less viable. A redesign would be necessary if you want them to share the same changes as the prowler and vanguard.
  11. NietCheese

By "take a beating" I assume you mean survive for longer than 1.5 seconds against a hoverspammer.

I don't think tanks should be buffed. I really don't think making tanks harder to get and making the driver role very boring is the answer. The answer is simply reducing the effectiveness of hoverspamming and doing something about AV turrets at long range.

The infantry vs armor fight is pretty close at the moment, and cautious tankers are VERY well rewarded. I'm not a very high skill player and I can still do well in a tank because I've adapted to their new role. Check my kill list: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618025219601/killboard

Before you shout nerf consider that when I play I do it very cautiously and with respect for the anti vehicle tools the infantry have. I use cover, I am cautious, I don't zerg in without infantry support, and I accept that infantry can kill me very quickly.

Tanks had it too easy when HE spam was very effective and now the fight is closer. Adapt or die, respect infantry killing power.

So yeah, Tanks DON'T need huge buffs. The only issues are hoverspammers and AV turrets at long ranges.
  12. Xale

The fixed turret is a secondary PPA. The primary canon is on the turret. (opposite of the PS2 Magrider)
  13. Goldoche429

They're direct upgrades of lightnings, it's bad game design. Most people don't use them as tanks but as taxis between facilities because they're disposable. They're not strong enough to break stalemates on large battles. Infantry is a hard counter instead of being a soft deterrent. You ignore all these problems, but sure, they're strong when spammed (like everything in the game).
    • Up x 1
  14. NietCheese

I refuse to accept tanks rolling over the top of infantry with ease. It should be a good fight between armor and infantry and they need hard counters.

The main thing off is a hoverspammer getting a 1.5 second kill on a "heavy" tank. It's just not logical, not fair, not balanced in any way.

The infantry fight is a good one at the moment. The next time you see a cluster of strikers, don't think "I am a tank I should be dominating this fight", but think "hard counter here, I need infantry support, need to use cover, need reinforcements and/or need to pick them off from afar".
  15. Goldoche429

Everybody can farm kills at long distances. Are you actually contributing to anything? Probably not much. Their armor is too thin to make significant pushes, unless they're spammed.
  16. Gary

Currently you cannot fill a 3 man liberator and plenty of tanks go round with 1 person since it is not worth taking a secondary gunner unless you are VS. The NC/TR secondaries all require special circumstances to be effective. The Saron on the other hand is great at any range.

The only change tanks need is for any attack based from an aircraft to always be considered a Top Armor hit.
  17. Goldoche429

Infantry should counter tanks around bases and buildings, not counter them in every situation like they are right now. The hard counter of tanks should be air cavalry or other tanks.
    • Up x 1
  18. Eyeklops

My shenanigan got busted! I shall forever leave these forums. No..not really, but good catch though. Props.
  19. Goldoche429

Their main gun was really weak though.
  20. Eyeklops

I would give up the driver's gun altogether if there was an option for a 2 gunner turret. I think SOE has the resources to modify Magrider model so it can fit both weapons on top, they are just busy.

I do agree with you that there should be an option for this playstyle, but I don't agree with your Magrider solution.