TR/NC need drastic balancing if VS is to regain pop

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nyscha, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Nyscha

If VS is so overpowered how comes everyone plays TR/NC now?

[IMG]
  2. FlayvorOfEvil

What's this? The VS took Indar last night on Mattherson I think. Or they almost did if I was wrong.
  3. Pac1

Population imbalance can't be solved by buffing/nerfing factions since the problems are different on each server. For example the population on Briggs is typically 37 VS, 26 TR, 37 NC. The right way to fix the problem is to give big enough XP boost to encourage people to play on low pop faction. Current XP bonus ridiculous, nobody will join outnumbered faction for 3% XP boost.
    • Up x 3
  4. Oneth

For ****'s sake drop this as an argument. It has no bearing in battles in this game unless you're a sniper, and all but the starting weps are the exact same stats. If you really think no bullet drop on our weps are such a great thing to have, you're a ******* moron.
    • Up x 3
  5. Twistdlester

One faction is always going to have less people then others . Freedom of choice FTW, and no -way are the VS so UP as you are trying to use as the excuse for them having low pop. I agree with the suggestions of giving the low pop resources in game as a bonus but the only way to get more VS is to have the faction as a whole become more attractive and you can't do that by nerfing the other two. Most VS players in organized outfits do very well. What a stupid post.
  6. Gavyne

This is indeed the truth, it's not about power, it's more about how the factions look and feel. Majority of the planetside 2 gamers are Americans, or at least live in the U.S. What faction do people think Americans most associate themselves with?

-Blue, freedom fighters, big *** guns that sound like guns, tanks that look and sound like M1A1 Abrams, and human looking models.

-Red, republic, big *** guns that sound like guns, a marine guy's voice over ingame, and human looking models.

-Purple, spandex, alien looking, guns that sound like pew pew pew, a tank that hover and sound like pew pew, etc..

Two out of the 3 factions will be favored by majority of gamers in U.S. It's just how it is, familiarity. There's a reason why even in MMORPG's, humans are always a top race played, over elves, dwarves, trolls, ogres, etc.. It has nothing to do with power, in fact if you look at the population graph, VS was losing population way before any magrider nerfs/changes, way before any changes to VS for that matter. And NC gained population way before Vanguard buffs, way before flinching changes.

You are not going to get VS more popular without them making some armors that hide the spandex, this is a big reason why I personally didn't choose VS in the first place. Also as a FPS enthusiast from the early Quake/Doom days, I've always preferred real guns over lasers and plasma, and in CS:S I've always liked M16's. It's just how the guns feel and shoots, and how they sound, they feel better to me in a FPS game.

So asking devs to give VS more power or nerf NC/TR, that's just not the way to go. VS is not underpowered, they never were since launch, and the whole victim portrayal with the magrider changes are just old and tiring. Magriders were ridiculous, just as air superiority was ridiculous, just as NC MAX is ridiculous. Ridiculous things should be nerfed and changed, and yes NC MAX is getting its turn this week. But that won't change population.
    • Up x 2
  7. MurderBunneh

If you took VS guns and put NC skins on them they would be the most popular. I am a man I don't want pink laszers and tights. Just the way it is sorry.
    • Up x 2
  8. pnkdth

What I wouldn't give for a black/yellow/red theme. Bikers in space, shooting hellfire. \../
  9. nubery

And?

Are you complaining it wasn't released in the current state but was buffed to that state a week after?
  10. MonkeySalt

Plain and simple. VS are annoying. Popular with sci-fi geeks, girls, and guys who x-dress. Real men use real guns and don't wear spandex lingerie.
    • Up x 2
  11. GSZenith

only 2 factions sounds good, can we have please?
  12. Zaik

shockingly, purple spandex and bicycle helmet wearing cultists lead by grandpa dubstep are less appealing than the other two factions when they don't have op vehicles

who would've guessed
  13. HadesR

Those with a Star Trek Fetish ?
  14. Nyscha

Going by your logic TR players are all army drop outs which couldn't get past their exams and the NC players are fat morbidly obese people who are gun enthusiastic who whine when their guns could be taken away from them.
  15. Aegie

I think this would go a long way to improving balance in a dynamic fashion.

The idea of an XP bonus if you are under populated on the continent was a step in the right direction. If they added another XP bonus on top of this if you are under populated on the server that may help as well.

Still, I do feel there is an aesthetics issue with the VS in that the designs are very comic in comparison to TR and NC. There seems to be less variance in appearance of the weapons and the visual appearance of the characters is meh. I would not say they need a complete redesign but look at some of these images easily found by googling "futuristic armor":

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]

These look very similar to VS already aside from some minor aesthetics that make them look more realistic and serious than cartoony.

Personally, I think all the aesthetics (aside from maybe a few designs here and there) need more attention. I realize that PS2 probably has difficulty in this department in terms of performance issues but it still seems like every faction is more cartoony than they need to be. I seem to see a lot of fan art floating around, especially things from DeviantArt, that are really quite nice- edgy and artsy without being overblown. I just grabbed some quick images from google to show how easy it is to find similar aesthetics to VS but with minor improvements that may go a long way in the PR department (i.e. these are far from the best examples of what could be done).
    • Up x 4
  16. MonkeySalt

Who knows, that might be true. In that case there are a lot more military dropouts and fat hillbilly's than gender confused Star Wars kids.
    • Up x 2
  17. Xasapis

Actually, VS sniper rifles do have bullet drop.

There are only two weapons that bullet drop has a noticeable effect, the max AV weapon (comet) and the slug shotguns. In everything else it makes little difference one way or the other.
  18. TomaHawk

And since they do 0 damage since SOE broke them, please explain how they've been buffed at all? :)
    • Up x 1
  19. MurderBunneh

Pretty much.
  20. Dethx

Semis have no bullet drop but bolt actions do or otherwise Vanu snipers would be tremendously OP