[Suggestion] How would you nerf AV turret?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GSZenith, Mar 15, 2013.

1. GSZenith

Some pic before bed (can't do better no players online on miller almost)
    first. where is the tower?

[IMG]

spoilers.
    There it is 868Meter

Now lets remeber when you are hit for 50% of your hp it will blink red but incase you where facing the amp station that red will not tell where you truely were shot from, it will appear as if you where shot from behind by a HA rocket and not by the engi 800m away to your right, so what do you do? turn around, maybe jump out to repair? if either you are dead within 4sec.

[IMG]

tower PoV

[IMG]

oh and you see the bridge over there? yeah thats 1200 something didn't shot the mark for some reason, np hitting moving tanks over there.
    Incase you are not aware but a moment before the Av hellfire pod hits the ground the area will lit up very white so it is easy to tell when you need to move the turret up to hit moving target 700m+.

[IMG]

The black husks of tanks are all my kills!..nah bugs ftw, although most likely most of them where(were? brain to tired can't think) my kills..
  2. Disparu

damage reduction and/or range reduction, but dont just LIMIT the range, make the rocket begin to wave about more at range so it MIGHT miss, but might be able to sort of wing it. Another option to add into the mix is to make it turn slower and slower the further it travels until after a while its pretty much a straight line and cant move. Basically, lets stop just adding and lowering damage, increasing cone of fire and use a bit of thought with balance, use lateral and more subtle balance changes.
  3. Bape

The dam AV doesn't need a nerf wtf? i think it UP i even stopped using that piece of ****. You guys are a plague in PS2 nerf this nerf that booh hoo boo hoo grow some balls and man the **** up.
  4. Tanelorn

I see it plenty. I dont have a video of it in action but I made this a while back:
    (If you view this on a mobile device you may not see the annotations)

5. Tanelorn

Because the AI turrets have an electro shield and the AV turrets are made of metal?
  6. Tuco

Oh no can't have #2. Hey I have an idea, reduce the inner/outer explosion readius to -1.
  7. Overgaard

ITT: It killed me, make it go away.
  8. notyourbuddy

Poor Zurvan. That's where I saw four AV turrets up on a similar cliff (further to the East) blowing the ---- out of an enemy platoon that had just spawn vehicles and had gathered in the courtyard trying to decide on their next destination. So many kills and the tanks had no clue what was hitting them. A few people who didn't have the turret unlocked tried to break out their HA lock-ons and join in, but the vehicles were well out of their range.

At first it was confusing to watch. You wonder why they don't try to return fire or hide from the missiles, but then when it happens to you realize, "Oh that's why." :(
    • Up x 2
  9. Crashsplash

Because when weapons are introduced thay are often over-powered.

I suppose the issue is that prior to their introduction the 'power' isn't easy to predict, yes the number will be known but how players will use the weapon will essential be unknown.

Once the weapon is being used the devs can gather statistics and make a proper over or under assessment.

You'll recall that the annihilator wasn't particularly powerful but it's flexibility and range meant that players would gather in a squad, all using it and being pretty much invunerable while racking up kills of any air/ground vehicle that came into sight. It had to be nerfed.
  10. GSZenith

very well said.
    Many of the stuff wasn't a problem or very good until you got enough of them.
    e.g. my first 1k cert i bought a burster when the flyboy ruled, and once you had a critical number of bursters it is just over for any air.
  11. FinWiz

They still do render like vehicles and have a arrow on top of them saying AV TURRET. If they don't render for you that is not our fault or AV turret's fault. Invisible rocket is bug so that us no reason to nerf AV turret.
  12. MasterTater

Maybe you just **** - before the AV turrent gets nerfed - the Prowler will get the nerf bat one more time cause the Prowler is still fkn broken OP with its dmg output and complete lack of skillcap.

So there MUSt be a counter measure to that brainfree idiot´s skillreplacement.

Sign the petition for a prowler nerf and you can nerf the infantries counter measure against the prowler consecutively.
  13. tbot

easy fix:

its a wired rocket right? So no more steering after 400m. If your target moves and its to far away you will miss.
  14. PeanutMF

Reduce damage done and make missile very visible.

Possibly even change how rendering works so that no matter where it was shot from, and whether you can render the turret or not, the missile will render when within client render range (hell do that for all projectiles please).
  15. FlayvorOfEvil

The missile is very visible. You can easily tell where it's coming from by its V shaped flares.
  16. Tar

Make the missiles visible on radar, like they were in ps1.
    Also reduce the range, it's ridiculous.

Also anti infantry damage should be DRASTICALLY reduced, which actually applies to all infantry AV weapons.
  17. FnkyTwn

The shield would totally screw up the ability to use it at night and when it was darker out. The shield on the Mana Turret is blinding to use at night, and I've always felt that should be fixed or toned down for the user in some way. I'm not opposed to making the turrets more visible, but as a user the shield makes them useless at night because you can't see very far due to the glow.

I think the AV Turret is just really new and people are finally learning to start looking for it.

How i'd fix it:
    -Increase the reward for killing the turret to the same as killing a vehicle
    -Increase cooldown on redeploying them (like once a minute), which would also hurt ammo box deployment
    -Make it so they have to be redeployed after 10 shots
    -Keep damage the same
    -Keep range the same

I think once the new Rocket Launchers get into the game people won't even notice the AV Turrets any more because tons of HAs will have the new launchers, which will also make hunting AV Turrets a lot easier, and with an XP increase for killing them, a lot more viable.

And GSZenith isn't the best person to make a post like this due to his rabid need to nerf the AV turret. I've read your posts in other threads and you're pretty extreme in that regard + mines. Changes can be made without rendering the 700sc I spent on my AV Turret useless, like you're wanting. And part of your problem with the AV turret is probably due to your PC. You can't Alt-Tab without locking up.. we've seen your screenshots with scary glitches.. maybe part of your issue with the turret comes from playing on a 14'' CRT? :)
  18. Kitro

As primarily a prowler driver (despite my profile pic), I have no trouble with Mana AV turrets and don't see why they should be nerfed. They are no more deadly than a Heavy Assault - actually less deadly, in some cases - and much easier to find and dispatch.

However, i do find it a bit odd that the engineer can place a new one every few seconds, allowing them to build a turret, fire and runaway, then build a new one in 5 seconds. Perhaps the cooldown on replacements should be quite long.
  19. NDroid

It's fun to use but seeing as how you can be shot at by powerful invisible rockets fired from 800m away is not exactly fair for the vehicles on the receiving end. It makes the turrets nearly impossible to counter, especially if they're on an elevated position which limits the places where you can try and find cover from them. The stricter placement rules don't really change much in this regard. The range, and the fact that a weapon with this much AV potential is free to deploy (and redeploy again and again) and has an unlimited ammo supply is what makes it seem a bit unbalanced to me.

I don't think it needs a massive nerf but as the Annihilator has shown, getting hit by rockets that don't render is not a good game mechanic. The range should be more limited and possibly the number of times the turret can be redeployed before needing to resupply from a terminal.
    • Up x 2
  20. Crashsplash

Unfortunately for the prowler is that it's hard to get both shots on target and so for a proportion of time it's output is 700, especially with the rankd kick-up, kick-down of the recoil.

In any case the issue with the prowler and any other tank versus squishies is not that they kill but that often grunts have little choice and that down to the design of outposts and bases to be not infantry friendly.

OTOH ..... look at TI Alloys. The outpost was changed so that the route from the spawn rooms to the capture point is protected from tanks and the capture point itself is inside a building. And yet tanks were getting massive amounts of kills because the infantry kept on running into the open - they didn't need to do that. They repeatedly tried to face off against HEAT and HE and unsurprisingly failed. - This is no reason to nerf tanks. At most may want to look again at the building with the capture point and swap it for one of those with an accessible roof.
    • Up x 1