Why play more of *this* VS ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haya jii san, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Haya jii san

I am frustrated. Yes. As it stands we don't have any strong points and i catch myself questioning why i keep bothering with this faction.

- MCTs : The post-GU2 magrider just does't cut it. (It's just not fun and not because "it's not OP anymore", but because we've been stripped from the magrider's maneuverability and got treated like it was some kind of "bug", as someone "felt this way".
    Current magrider suffers from :
    - Lowest Speed of ALL ground vehicles
    - Lowest Damage / TTK / STK across ALL MCTs
    - Lowest Armor across ALL MCTs
    - Crippled Strafing (Forward movement combined with strafing on a slope results in %^&* movement if not all)
    - Zero Hill-Climbing
    - Biggest Frame / Hitbox (combined with this strafing and enemy MCT velocity buffs ...)
    - Fixed Hull-Turret (forcing us into embracing this strafe-related playstyle, while on the other hand other MCTs can take cover and shoot from behind cover ... etc)
    - Other MCTs buffs (That in conjunction with magrider's nerfs make this even worse)
    - Guns : Our weapons' philosophy is faster reload and zero drop-off. Why reload has the same weighted factor importance as the sheer amount of more ammo per magazine and rate of fire or even damage output ?
    - Pistols : The Beamer (There is and not ever has been a worse pistol in this game & Rebel-wannabe little brother (aka manticore)
    - MAX : Thought out to be the least formidable / UP MAX among the three. Personally not much input there.
    - Population : VS is the most underpopulated faction among the three. That along with the general idea of "balance" makes things even worse.

I welcome constructive feedback and input. If not then please don't bother as i'm gonna ignore you right away.

./thead

• Up x 13
  2. Xarx

Quite frankly, this is a stupid way to start a thread. People will not take you seriously at all.
    What you said is a thinly veiled "agree with me or don't post" ultimatum.

Next time start a thread and at least keep a pretense of an open mind, as what you did stifles discussion.
    • Up x 42
  3. t31os

What's MCT? Perhaps you mean MBT, eg. Main Battle Tank.

You've defied your own rules, where's your own constructive feedback?
    • Up x 13
  4. Ztiller

But hey, Vanu is balanced because we don't have any bullet drop on our LMG and Beamer!
    • Up x 4
  5. Yoda

well.. speaking of MBT's only.. i have a hard time to udnerstand where you are coming from.. your tanks was way stronger then the other 2 factions, and now they are somewhat more balanced.. seems fine to me.. i know kdr ain't all but seeing how the KDR of mag's went from 2x that of van/prowlers to about the same. i'd say the balancing was well done..
    and a side not aout the mbt's, all this about beeing able to drive and shoot sideways.. well.. sure we can in theory.. but our tank isn't floating.. any bumbs/rocks/what ever and our aim jump's all over the place.. only way to get a good shoot off is to stop first.. so.. that's just not even a factor unless we are talking melee range here.. strafedodging is way stronger tbh
    • Up x 4
  6. MadGelo

VS can't compete if their toys are not OP ? and let get this clear, only thing that was a bit changed was a magrider and suddenly all of VS sucks?
    • Up x 15
  7. Ztiller

The problem is not that the Mag was OP, but that it was the only ACE we had. TR have the best ESF, and now the by far best MBT, NC have their ridiculously powerful MAXs. All factions used to have one thing that was awesome Vanu doesn't have that anymore. There is nothing about us that makes the enemy go "Oh ****"
    • Up x 9
  8. †Ashley†

I've had issues with Vanu weapons for a while, i regret picking vanu by far. Though looking at the lore, to me they were the good guys, but i really regret that choice now. I'd love to be able to change to NC the moment i can. Simply because when i play on my lower level NC, i can do a LOT better in 1v1 combat.
    • Up x 2
  9. Idono

OH please mate. NC hardly have the moste over powered maxes. We have 1 thing going for us and it's close range. Whil both VS and TR can dish out a spanking at range with their MAXes, we can't. If we'r fighting at range we'r completly useless.
    • Up x 6
  10. JudgeDeath

My only concern is that magrider even with saron loses all its 1vs1 fights vs similarly competent enemy. Getting outgunned and outlasted.

By design the 3 sides should have similar effectiveness levels on all equipment and this just is one thing that needs to be worked on by SOE. Its not easy, its hard to create something that feels different but works as well as the other. Simply said, its not done yet, Keep at it !

Eventually a good balance will be found and every faction can complain about the other factions being OP. Thats when you have true balance.
    • Up x 2
  11. Grayson

Yeah Mag is the only ACE in Vanu.....
    And the scythe
    And the weapons, with high RoF, low CoF, no bulletdrop, ( so the VS can burst fire at least 3-5 rounds...), and the LMG snipers...
    And the Saron.....
    Did i forgot something?
    Don't cry, NC is still the most UP faction, because of the flinch, and the c**** MBT, and the reaver...
    • Up x 3
  12. Tekuila

10 more rounds in a magazine makes very little difference, especially when it takes forever to reload.

Other than that vanu weapons are pretty much identical to TR weapons.

Also dual cosmos maxes are just as good if not better than mercy maxes.
    • Up x 1
  13. MadGelo

delusional
    • Up x 6
  14. pnkdth

That's the point. You have an area where you demolish anyone, including swating other MAX units like flies.

Another rather important point which seems to get lost in the more obvious results of the magrider nerf is;
    Turret vs turning to target. This problem is twofold as it isn't an advantage anymore. We're not as mobile thuse aiming is even more annoying and, crusially, having a turret is more favourable. Not only from the a turn-speed point of view but its placement. Magriders cannot place themselves hull down because of the location of the main gun.

In other words, the nerf was threefold:
    1. See above.
    2. Increasing projectile velocity of enemy tanks(see 1).
    3. Decreasing Saron velocity.
    4. Harder to dodge.
    5. It refuse to stay put. Seriously, you have to keep compensating for even the slighest of inclines, which, of course, messes with your aim(doubly so for the 2nd gunner).

All the nerfs stack, and each makes the other that much worse. What exactly is the magrider supposed be good at?

Yeah, that's why no one uses extended magazine for the SMGs... Oh wait, everyone does because having those extra bullets is awesome. Also, no one prefers the new SMGs over the old... Oh wait, they do.
    • Up x 3
  15. Nakor

Yeah I don't get why they nerf'd the magrider the way they did. Most of the reason it was so good was the saron. Thats why nearly every magrider you see is double manned with a saron on top. That thing is beast.

Its unfortunate that they went overboard trying to correct the mag-rider. Hopefully they'll nudge back to where it ought to be soon.
    • Up x 2
  16. PaperPlanes

Really? Dude, 10 more rounds is potentially another corpse of an enemy. It's actually a huge factor and a very amazing benefit of being TR. Even if you can't control your kills to reload ratio very well, the fact remains, if a newbie is spraying and desperate for a kill, he is far more likely to get it with an extra rounds to spray. So TR weapons have a huge advantage there for both veterans and newbies alike.

Identical weapons? No, not really, go look at some stats. VS weapons are "kind of" similar in some ways, but in most comparisons, the VS guns are not as good. And don't forget your ADS move speed benefit, that is huge for CQC.

And dual Cosmos are not good as Mercy. It is proven the DPS is 7% less and they have more spread.
    • Up x 3
  17. RobotDoc

1. Buff NC Max AA, AG, AI, Hp
    2. Buff Mag strafing, hill climbing, speed boost, primary and 2ndary guns
    3. Buff Mosquito Hp, dmg, and give them 2 more rocket pod burst thingies

And then have Mr burns yell "Release the hounds" ; P
    • Up x 1
  18. Prownilo1

Magrider was op cause it could dodge incoming projectiles, making it virtually immune to damage at long ranges, the old 1-2 punch of increased cannon velocity and strafe nerf made mag go from taking no shots (or few) to taking every shot.

Unfortunately I don't really see how you can balance a design based on dodging, either you can dodge them, or you can't. If you can, you have 100% mitigation, if you can't you have 0%. Either make the tank really maneuverable with terrible armour (like, lightning terrible) or make it really strong so that it can actually take the hits. Right now it's just a vanguard with weak armour, no shield, and terrible cannon velocity/drop.

In it's current form, mag can dodge Dumbfires quite well, which does give it an advantage in that area, I must say that assuming I have ample room to manuver, I can easily take on 5 or 6 heavies fireing dumbfires, throw in smoke and I even have a good chance of taking out lock on users. But Tank v Tank warfare? I'd rather use my lightning, at least that can flank and hit them in the rear. Mag would get obliterated long before it got in range.
    • Up x 2
  19. Tekuila

I would rather have lightning quick reloads than 10 bullets. But then that is a preference.

And I actually prefer my cosmos to my mercies. :)

75 vs 50 bullets makes a big difference.
  20. GamerOS

The Mosquito is not that much better then the Scythe, now if you had the Reaver you had grounds to complain.

And what is a OP MAX worth that only really shines at Biolabs? Which is 3 bases per map... Besides, the only reason NC MAX seem overpowerd is because they got a niche they are very good at while the TR and Vanu Max suits are just okay at most ranges.
    Not to mention, an 'OP' weapon that is only like that at close range is a lot worse then an 'OP' weapon good at long ranges, like say the magrider.

The Vanu Magrider just simply had to much survivability compared to the other factions and it had to be toned down.

I'd also like to concentrate on this specific part of the OPs post.

Vanu guns generally have the exact same DPS as the guns from the opposing factions, you have on average a higher ROF then NC and a slightly lower average then TR.
    But again, your DPS is almost always the same or close to that of the equilavent of the opposing faction, and generally you make up for any shortcommings in those departments with better Recoil and a slightly better COF.
    The extra Ammo for TR is a bit much in my personal oppinion, especially when it comes to their hipfire guns, but that's another discussion.

Beamer is fine, it only needs one shot more then the Mag-shot but has a higher ROF and a slightly better COF to make up for it.
    The Manticore is statswise a clone of the Mag-shot, so if you think the Manticore sucks then obviously the Magshot will also need a buff...

Vanu MAX does have the best AT guns, but only because they don't have ridiculous drop, as far as I know their are problems with the AP side of things including accuracy issues but I've not used the Vanu MAX at all... Tough from personal experience I know I'm more scared of the TR MAX then the VS MAX.

The VS population used to be the biggest on my server, the combination of it being considerd the FoTM and having some of the nice warp gates cause a lot of the 4th empire to flow to the VS.
    Now that the VS has been put in it's place.... and has been given 2 of the worst warp gates previously in the possesion of the NC... yeah.
    I blame a lack of faction loyalty among your people.
    • Up x 1