Hardcounter to Tanks - especially Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Strikejk, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Strikejk

Hi guys :)

No i won't say it. Not now.
    I want you to tell me your suggestion what is the hardcounter to a prowler. :)
    I'll tell you the answer in 10min :)
  2. Total_Overkill

Terrain, its the only thing that can consistently take a Prowler out of action.
    Cause Vanguards, Magriders, and Rockets sure cant.
    • Up x 2
  3. Sebastien

pods
    • Up x 3
  4. CaligoIllioneus

Lolpods. Found yourself without a lot of AA for 1 minute? Well, a lolpodder will instagib your tank.
    • Up x 3
  5. Arreo

Nothing. I would argue that Planetside 2 doesn't have hard counters.

A hard counter is something that will very nearly always win against whatever it is countering even if the person using it has less skill or less investment. I would argue there is nothing like that in PS2.

There are a lot of soft counters however.
    • Up x 6
  6. CaligoIllioneus

An average lolpodder can take out a prowler easily. The only way he would fail is if the lolpodder just hovers at close range (gets destroyed by Vulcan) or if the Prowler is surrounded by AA. Otherwise the Prowler dies in 1 or 2 lolpod volleys.
  7. Strikejk

2 of 3 people suggest the same as me, without letting them know the my suggestion :)

Rocket pods.

@ SOE Dev: Now ask yourself WHY 75% choose them.
    It can't be your intention that a ANTI-AIR-FIGHTER is the best Tank-Killer in the game, or ?
    Have fun finding a solution.
  8. Littleman

Yeah. Maybe if the occasional tank driver from all three empires dropped their HE noob-shells for some AP (lol worthy, really) then maybe tanks would start shooting at tanks.

Bleh, AP needs a buff. On paper is sounds good, but honestly, it needs to decimate tanks on top of higher velocities before players start to seriously consider it over the cert farming newb-friendly shell that is HE. Otherwise, the thinking is people will just get by with HEAT, since it's effectively just as powerful as AP anyway.
  9. Strikejk

Don't bother to use /push guys.
    I don't care if it get closen by spamming because than atleast a Mod have to read it.
  10. Brickwalker

Are ESF's supposed to be strictly anti air fighters?
    • Up x 3
  11. Darlith

Good counters to prowlers depend on the situation. If they are anchored the answer is anything that can flank them, in particular AT mines work well (most anchored prowlers seem to have extra armor not mineguard). If the AA coverage is light then aircraft can tear any pack of tanks a new one.

I have seen large groups of tanks work well against prowlers depending on the general skill levels of the two groups and the support groups with them. Large groups of HA works well in ambush situations as well, but you have to use them smart.
  12. Strikejk

NO but not to be the best Anti-Tank.
  13. Gavyne

The answer is that ESF should've never been given rocket pods. Anti tanks should've belonged to liberators. ESF's should've been an air vs air machine specialized at countering all air. While giving Liberators the specialization on using AP rounds to kill ground vehicles.

Had SOE built the game like that from the beginning, we would've never had the air vs ground balance issues, infantry would've been much happier not having to deal with pod spam & zepher spam. ESF would've had plenty of dogfights that pilots wanted, and plenty of air to shoot down. Liberators would've had a specific purpose at hard countering the ground vehicles when there are a large tank column built up.

It's too bad, would've been fun all around for everybody. And they would've never had to add in a lock-on rocket launcher into the game.
    • Up x 4
  14. Total_Overkill

Why not just shoot it with the main guns? Its not like the prowler has a 70* arc capable turret or anything.... >.>
  15. Strikejk

Anchor mode: undeploy and drive away.
    Tank mines: There is a cert to make them nearly useless. Cert it!
    Rocketpods: deleting the vehicle
  16. Brickwalker

they're simply the best because they can fly..

they have few limitations,they fore go almost all terrain/protection due to being able to fly.

the only way to nerf them is to eliminate rocket pods,which wont happen.
  17. Strikejk

If they really love the rocket pods they should let them stay inside the game.
    Just let them do far less damage to Armored or especially Tanks.
    And don't let them be able to hit the rear of an vehicle. Because they can oneshot a heavy tank. And this is OP.

NO 1 seat vehicle should be able to kill a heavy tank with 1 shot.
  18. Tekuila

Anti-air fighter won't have rocket pods.
  19. Prownilo1

I can tell you the hard counter to Magriders - Any aircraft (our AV and AI turrets all have pathetically low angles, you don't have to worry about being shot down) the Engineer AV turret at long range, especially if placed behind (we have no view behind us, so in order to see what's hitting us, we have to point our back directly towards the enemy) the wire guide completely removes the advantage strafing would have, at least we have smoke for lock ons. Tank mine engies (no vision or way to look around) Light assault C4 (no vision or way to look around) or simply a heavy that patiently waits for a mag to turn around (which he will have to do eventually to get a look at his surroundings) or just sneak up behind him (cause he's probably too scared to turn around cause theres another threat in front of him.)

Hard counters to prowlers? None, Prowler has an answer for everything, cept maybe a light assault with c4 or a mine engineer since it would take him 2 seconds to react.
    • Up x 1
  20. Strikejk

troll somewhere else please :)