WIP Grinnuch's Goblet - a little help?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: EverQuest and EverQuest II' started by MasterMagnus, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MasterMagnus Active Member

Came up with another Frostfell related item. Still very rough but I'm wondering...

Thought I was saving a bunch of tris, but as it ends up these three styles of base are very close to the same tri count.

Which is better?
    [IMG]

I felt the footed base was more 'creepy' style, befitting Grinnuch. But the round base is less prone to issues that make it not look so realistic.
    • Like x 1
  2. MasterMagnus Active Member

I took some time and realized the answer to my dilemma. Use the round base and cut a few pieces out to give it a more distinctive shape.
  3. Tim Mathews Member

I would have to agree. the round base has a better handle on it, and if you cut out some of the base it would help make it more distinctive like you said. Love it! very cool.
  4. IceSyDesigns Active Member

I would definitely go with the round base. The other 2 look a little out of sorts. Lookin good!
  5. MasterMagnus Active Member

Thank you all, glad I asked. Super happy with the result.

I always say "when faced with a decision, this or that, the answer is almost always both."

[IMG]
  6. MasterMagnus Active Member

Ok, here we go with diffuse, normal, spec, the whole enchilada. Any thoughts before I submit?

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. IceSyDesigns Active Member

great job! I like it :D
  8. MasterMagnus Active Member

Thank you!

Noticed one detail I overlooked for EQ1. Gonna add a slight shadow around the edge of the gems, EQ1 wants you to paint in shading a bit as the normals don't do a ton in that engine.
  9. IceSyDesigns Active Member

Ah true. I usually do a "shading / highlight combo,. but with in the colors I am using, and only a shade or 2 of from the other. That way it doesn't look like it's an actual "light source" generated shadow, but rather subtle natural contours of the pieces.
    • Like x 1
  10. Tim Mathews Member

Looks great! Much better I think.
  11. MasterMagnus Active Member

Both EQ and EQ2 want to have a larger 'set' of items as opposed to one goblet or such. Mainly housing item count issues and just 'what the customer gets for their buck'.

So here is my ref photo to create a set, as I go I'll decide if there is something on the plate or not. Also I like the knife shape, but it will be much bigger and the 'decanter' will be mainly 8 sided.

[IMG]
  12. MasterMagnus Active Member

Roughed in items, and possible name change. Wondering if I should go for some food in the platter. hmmm....

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. PenfoldShush New Member

Oh wow, I really like what you did with the base of the goblet.
    • Like x 1
  14. MasterMagnus Active Member

Here's where I'm at. Think it's done.
    (512x512 maps)
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  15. IceSyDesigns Active Member

Very nicely done! I'll be buying this once it's in! :D
    • Like x 1
  16. Gnobrin Developer

Nice! Very cool!
  17. Rollen Active Member

Stick a fork in it and it will be done :p
  18. MasterMagnus Active Member

Hah, proud to say we will be feasting on roast grimp wings in EQ1 at least this Frostfell!
    • Like x 1