[VS] Mutant helmet

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Tomus, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Tomus New Member

One night i just got bored and tired to sketch a TR helmet that i could potentially wear on my char. Since i had no concept and basically i was just trying random stuff it ended as helm fit more for VS. Anyway here is the sketch that i have now:

[IMG]

I will be gratefull for any critique (expecially honest one).

Thanx
  2. Giz Active Member

- That vents are a bit big may want to reduce the size, also you don't have to put that honeycomb texture in there. You can use the textures, off the texture sheet that they gave us. Plus it'll save you some polys. That's all I have right now, I'm working on my helmet at the moment so I can't really think of much to say.
  3. Tomus New Member

Thanx for reply : )

The vents are the main characteristic of the helmet... the honeycomb is just for ilustration, this is highpoly sculpt so i dont really count any polygons here. The retopo will come after i incorporate all comments.
  4. Reddington Member

This is so creepy and disgusting. I like. :D
  5. Elrobochanco Member

I don't know if I think the vents are too big, but the "lips" on them are quite thick. I mean the distance from the face that they protrude not the width of the lip itself. Though I don't know if just making it less protrudy would be better. I think their shape needs a little tweaking, from the side it's almost grinning.

I like the insectoid look, especially the "visor" transition into the almost musculature cheek part of the face. Really interesting concept. Any ideas for material usage at this point?
  6. Tomus New Member

I have made some adjustments.
    [IMG]
    Mainly extended the visor a bit lower and pushed the mouth a bit to the center.
    The honeycomb and other details were just illustrational, i ofc couldnt make them into real geometry within our poly budget.
    Ill work with the materials after i retopo and unwrap this.
    Btw, do i need to cover the neck aswell?
  7. Tomus New Member

8. Steveo Member

Looking good sir!
  9. JS ibanez Member

I like it! I'm not sure that bulge in the visor at the top is translating too well though.

Define the edges around there more to give it more purpose. Getting rid of it entirely would be a safe option too.
  10. Tomus New Member

Better? Btw, I wont be able to post it untill my country is enabled so i guess i have quite some time to tweak this to acceptable level. Give me your worst guys. https://p3d.in/F0QhT

[IMG]
  11. Fuzz Active Member

not a fan of the blob on the top of the head.
  12. JS ibanez Member

Neither am I to be honest
  13. Tomus New Member

i guess ill work out some variations then
  14. Kato Drakkar Member

Sorry for this not necessarily being related to the helmet, but what program did you use to make the sketch?
  15. JS ibanez Member

Looks like he's using Zbrush
  16. Kato Drakkar Member

17. Tenebrae Member

What about sticking a sphere in each of those mouth vents? Hell, I'd go as far as to say four...with one being large and the other small, the larger spheres near the front of the vent with the smaller back further. It would give a little complexity to the vents themselves and keep it from looking like a sucker orifice.