TR Ushanka

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JerreyRough, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JerreyRough Member

Edit: Latest picture will be right below this sentence.

[IMG]

Original post:

Somebody had to make one ;).

Here's a TR Easmir hat concept I've thrown together. Bottom image has an alternate goggle style.

[IMG]

Canada might not be added in by the 30th, but I'm going to make a hat anyway for experience!

The hat is, of course, based off the Russian Ushanka hat. The goggles are based off the square-ish winter goggles, which I can't remember the name of but you can see them here. They're rounded and one-piece to fit the TR style. I'll move the sides of the Ushanka so the ear muff is not clipping.

I know there isn't fur in the game, though if I use a good chuck of my polys on the rims of the Ushanka then I could give the impression of it.

I'm planning to add in a thick neck sock. Basic version of it can be seen here.

My questions to you!
    • Should the goggle strap connect to the ear muff, which then connects on the back of the head? Or should the goggle strap go underneath the ear muffs (higher up above the ear)? If the latter, then should I add in a separate strap for the ear muffs? Or make it seem like it's attached to the hat?
    • I have/will have a thick neck sock, but should I extend it to cover the face? Or leave it open? I'd prefer to leave it open, but we'll see what you guys say.
    • Which goggle trim version should I use?
    Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  2. Calder Member

• Whatever you do with the earmuffs, it should be clear how they're staying on the player's head. A strap continuing around the back of the head would be one way to do this.
    • I don't have much of a preference for open or closed-face. You can easily do one then the other and submit both.
    • First goggle trim is more distinctive.
  3. McFluff Active Member

nice start. Make the lining of the cap furry if u can.

also, have the goggle earpiece strap go all the way around

no rivet things on the goggles. looks cheap, which isnt TR

Neck sock should cover up to the nose, leave some skin showing. mabe even go up to the ears with the sock?
  4. JerreyRough Member

Thanks guys!

I've made two versions: one with a face covering and one without. I think I prefer it with the covering. What do you guys think?

[IMG]

I've removed the rivet-things, at least for now. I think it works better without them, as you can see. I've also separated the goggle strap fro mthe ear and added the ear muff strap. Think I should re-attach the goggle to the ear muffs?
  5. BeastBuster Member

Good call on the rivets. I like the position of the goggle straps, but I am not sure how I feel about the ear muff strap's position. I like it with or without the face covering, but I am leaning towards the face covered one simply because it offers more protection from the cold.

Good progress on this!
  6. Nicococo Active Member

Make everythiing more inflated to make it look like gear you would wear in extremely cold climate. :)
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

looks like it made out of playdoh

you need to work on your structure.
  8. JerreyRough Member

I agree on the face covering, it works better with it. I could easily submit both versions later as well. I've adjusted the ear muff strap a bit. It's in-line with the muff's split now.

[IMG]

Naturally, this is all still a WIP.
    Heh indeed. I think the neck and the ushanka's padding is inflated enough IMO. Though I don't want to inflate too much; it's a winter hat, but not a heavy duty -40 or less one.
    Hey, this is the second thing I've ever made in a sculpting tool ;) . I do agree though, and I'm working on it.
  9. gotimas Member

Make the red top part have more "mass", it loos like its a bandana right now.
  10. JerreyRough Member

Making it thicker!

So I'm trying out making the hat extend over the ear, integrating the earpiece instead of having it separate. There's two hat versions (version 1/top and version 2/bottom) and two facewrap versions (face and full).

Still have playdoh problem, working on it. But it'd be nice to know which version I should go for (leaning towards the bottom with the full wrap).

[IMG]
  11. BeastBuster Member

Yeah I like the bottom with the full wrap as well!
  12. gotimas Member

There's a problem with these new "over the ear" parts, that ushanka is suppose to be folded up, and with this new version it doesnt look like it would go back down to normal... you know what I mean right?
  13. JerreyRough Member

Indeed I do. This may not make it a true Ushanka anymore, but I think the hat works better like this... I dunno. Do you guys prefer the old one? Alternatively I could try out a Ushanka with flaps already down and the metal on top of that.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. Nicococo Active Member

The lower idea could work. You just need to inflate the cloth around those earpieces so it looks like it conforms to the shape.
  15. gotimas Member

Ushankas work like this:
    [IMG]
    So the second version doesnt really make sense
  16. JerreyRough Member

Alrighty, thanks. Here's a replacement for the second version:

edit: Going to integrate the earpiece more.

[IMG]
  17. MasterMagnus Active Member

Yeah, this strikes a good balance (old/new style).
  18. gotimas Member

The version with the headphones looked more interesting, so maybe add headphones or keep that red thingy and "sci-fi it up", make it look more than a hat, make it a planetside hat
    and happy birthday
  19. JerreyRough Member

Okay! I'll try out some sketches and see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys!

Next update will be in a couple days. I should probably do something for my birthday (that's today), and tomorrow I've got a QA job interview at Bioware :cool:
  20. Nicococo Active Member

Happy birthday and hope you get that job tomorrow! :D