Sunderer X-mas Lights Lumifiber

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by EbonNebula, Dec 15, 2014.

1. EbonNebula Member

I was rolling around with a squad earlier today, and someone had the greatest idea ever. Christmas light lumifiber. I realize it's entirely too late to submit holiday items, but I figured it could probably be put on hold for next year, or possibly even released as a non-holiday item(they aren't specifically christmas-y after all). What do you guys think?

http://p3d.in/OwLqM

[IMG]
  2. Arctorn Member

Pretty darn clever, but for the best effect, I'd take a closer look at placement so that the majority of other cosmetics, equipment, and the actual sunderer functions don't impede the lights.

I think the back sides are okay, as just by eyeballing it should avoid things like the ammo resupply attachment; same with the front and front sides, but the part strung over the rear can get covered by certain cosmetics, and the middle bits are right on a panel that swings up to give access to the terminal when deployed. Not sure how well that'll interact.
  3. Shockwave414 Active Member

Two words.

Blockade armor.
  4. EbonNebula Member

I did play around with attachments in the VR before deciding on the placement. The fenders, windshield, shouldn't interfere with anything. The rear side panel strips would be behind the ammo/repair holographic signs, but I don't imagine that will be a problem. The bits on the side deployable panels should be able to just be rigged to move with it(the lumifiber in game already does this).

I will admit, I neglected to check the cosmetic attachments. The string along the back wont work, because there are cosmetics that cover the entire back hatch. I might try to scrap that part all together, and maybe use the polys to make wire for the lights to hang from.
  5. EbonNebula Member

Update:
    Reworked it a bit, to avoid any and all clipping. Also, I think I'm going to call these "Party Lights" to make it a bit more politically correct, and a bit less holiday specific.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Faven Active Member

I wouldnt light up the lines. From a distance (and even more so up close I bet) it looks a lot more belivable.

Question is. How does this look close up in daylight?

Sundies are one of the few vehicles that a lot of ppl see upclose a lot so something that looks flat and unattractive might not fly (I think that's why the camo netting got declined?)
  7. EbonNebula Member

That's a fair point about up close detail. That's kinda why I wanted to add lines tho. Looking at the first attempt up close, the lights are just kinda floating there, and they felt like they needed to be attached to something. I suppose I could make them skinnier, and set up the UVs so they won't blink/strobe with the lights.

[IMG]
    it's hard to get an idea of what they will actually look like in game without having the lumifiber material to render with. Admittedly, the lights are a bit flat. I could try reworking them to give them a bit more depth(this would also give me 1 extra triangle for every light, to smooth the lines out a bit more).
  8. Steveo Member

that terminal door gonna open into it
  9. Notser Member

I personally think this would work better as a cosmetic then lumifiber. The flat appearance of the lights and the strings being the same color makes it look odd up close.
  10. EbonNebula Member

Did a few tweaks and submitted it. Status: On Hold... so I guess next holiday season if everything goes well. Thanks for the feedback guys.