PS2 - Camo Patterns

Discussion in 'Guides' started by B1ackops, Aug 1, 2013.

1. B1ackops Member

In the guidlines for the camo patterns, it states:

Image must be created with 3 distinct tones, black, 50% gray, and white

I'm assuming this means that camo patterns are limited to only 3 colors, and no fades, is that correct?
  2. Acsriot Member

Correct, In some cases they do accept 4 colors
  3. MasterMagnus Active Member

We are still waiting on absolute confirmation, but from what I can tell there are only two distinct types of camo you can submit (which is why I'm assuming they included two types of examples in the download).

1. 'Grayscale' image with only three colors: Black#000000 White#FFFFFF Gray#808080 They color/tint it for each faction.

2. 'Color' image: up to four distinct colors. They keep this as-is and it's the same for all factions.

This one is the big unknown. They provide a four solid color example, no gradients, so I'm assuming it's safe to do the same.

The one I've submitted this way they only asked for tiling revisions nothing about color issues.
  4. Acsriot Member

I really don't understand how the decide wich ones work , Because I recently had one accepted that had tons of shading and gradient effects , its the NS Hyper

[IMG]
  5. MasterMagnus Active Member

First of all those all look great.

I'm starting to think the #2 catagory is full color, not just 4 solid colors.

Again we'll just have to wait for confirmation. With SOE Live going on it may take a while. But everyone should submit anything up to full color images and see what flies, I feel like.
  6. Acsriot Member

I mean for camos that are NS (Cross-faction) they want a .tga file that is in color, aswell as a grayscale. I'm not sure how there importing system works, they might have to tone them within the ingame engine
  7. MasterMagnus Active Member

Yes there was a mention somewhere, from Tram I think, about the tinting they do does not work as well with major gradients, but a little is fine (for the color camos), if that makes sense and I'm remembering correctly.
  8. Acsriot Member

The thing I really have never understood about the whole grayscale thing is that I can tint almost any .tga file in PS , dosen't matter about any gradiant or tint I can still revert it to the orgnial color, do we assume that Planetsides engine doesn't allow this ?
  9. B1ackops Member

Okay, I thought I was a decent photoshopper, but I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly what it means to be without alpha, and how to ensure that my image has no alpha.

Also, I think I've seen the NS Engineer (or at least something VERY close to it) camo in game, but I have yet to figure out where its at in the store. Is there a special location for the player created items?
  10. MasterMagnus Active Member

I think they mean just don't try and do anything on the alpha channel. There is going to be an alpha channel when you save as 32 bit, which is what they're asking for.

In the other games Player Studio items are sold in the same place as other items, but noted (usually with an icon and creator info in the details) as being PS items. Curious to know what the PS2 'marketplace' (if that's what they call it) looks like.
  11. B1ackops Member

Well, the reason I asked, is because when I look at all the examples you can download, they are all like washed out and transparent.
  12. NightFall998 Member

How did you create 3 distinct tones(black white and grey) with your NS Hyepr?
  13. Drfrozenfire Member

I must be missing something here or I'm late to the party, but are there any examples to look at of what the file will appear as?
  14. NightFall998 Member

https://www.planetside2.com/player-studio/get-started

select the camo

[edit]

I forgot to answer your (real) question:
    You were missing something. Being late to the party is fine :D

Enjoy your stay here forever!
    MuHAHAAhah
  15. Drfrozenfire Member

Okay I have created the submission text file and created the decal I'd like to upload, but it also says it requires a jpeg screenshot.... Is there a way to see the item on a character/vehicle to capture said screenshot?
  16. NightFall998 Member

Can we see your decal?
  17. Drfrozenfire Member

18. Drfrozenfire Member

Also, for the camo patterns it says it needs to be 1024x1024 and have no alpha, yet the samples have a partial alpha and are 512x512... this is confusing, mates
  19. Nuntium Member

Can anyone give me some tips for making camos? I have some good ideas but very little experience with photoshop, and I find tiling in particular time consuming and challenging.
  20. MasterMagnus Active Member

Here's what I do, hope it helps.

Work up your initial idea on a 1024x1024 keeping things within the borders. You may have layers and such, at this point I save the base file, Copy Merged and create a new file to work from (so now you have only one layer 1024x1024).

Then use the Filter -> Other -> Offset set to 512x512 Wrap Around ON.

Now you'll have a tile-able image but there will probably be a noticeable line down the center vertically and horizontally. You want to clean up those shapes so the lines in the middle aren't visible.

I usually tile my image into a 2048x2048 to make sure it's tiling correctly.

That's the short of it. Your ideas will be what makes or breaks your submission (how well you execute your idea will come with practice!) ;)