Objects appearing black in player studio

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by CountPoly, Jul 18, 2018.

1. CountPoly Member

I have a few objects that are appearing black in player studio, instead of the usual white, on import.

I can't figure it out. At first I thought the normals were flipped or something, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. The materials still look normal when applied, but I'm curious.

Would these objects be aa problem if submitted?

If you know what's up, please let me know.
  2. AbstractHero Member

If I'm not mistaken, what you're seeing is the 'vertex color' of the mesh.

In PlayerStudio submissions 'vertex color' (a value from 'white' to 'black') determines whether the texture renders with an extra layer of 'dirt and grime' . It's explained in one of the tutorials somewhere. BLACK is CLEAN, WHITE is FULLY WEATHERED. It is recommended to keep most of your item default WHITE for weathered.

In Blender this is accomplished by entering the 'Vertex Color' edit mode. Change your viewport render quality to fill without texture and you should see your mesh appear with it's grayscale vertex color values. If you want to change the vertex color values of the mesh, while in 'Vertex Color Edit Mode' select your desired grayscale value (Left side tool bar of the viewport) then 'paint' your vertices. I think there are some keyboard shortcuts ('k' to fill mesh with selected value?)
    • Like x 1