[NC] [Helmet] Vindicator Helmet

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Akachi, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Akachi Member

UPDATE: 4/27/14 10:52 am EST

I've made the low poly version and beveled the edges I thought were appropriate (new to the beveling method, so feed back is appreciated). I can't seem to get rid of some of the strangely shaded polygons, does anyone have any suggestions on creating better smoothing results? Moving poly by poly doesn't seem to be very effective.

P3D Model: http://p3d.in/RruHn
    Poly Count: 5720 (tris)

UPDATE: 4/25/14 1:18 am EST

I knew I liked the overall form but it felt incomplete, so I took Arctorn and Tramel's advice and made a few design alterations. Took some time figuring out exactly how I wanted to implement their advice (had a minor design block for a few days), but I think I came up with something that worked.

[IMG]

UPDATE: 4/17/14 3:57am EST

I went ahead and did a high poly sculpt for my concept. Something feels missing however, I don't know what it is though. Feedback is much appreciated.

[IMG]

UPDATE: 4/14/14 12:06pm EST

After KingKellogs suggestion, I realized that I can probably play around with the visor design alot more. I came up with 4 total alterations (including the first edit.) Tell me which one you prefer

[IMG]

UPDATE: 4/14/14 6:28am EST
    A suggested change by KingKellog.

Visor Edit

[IMG]

Original Post: 4/14/14 4:52am EST
    Started a New NC Helmet concept. The name is subject to change. Would appreciate some feedback

Main Concept

[IMG]

Side View

[IMG]
  2. KingKellogg Member

I think it would look more ominous if the orange in the upper right segment was also black making the orange just the center segment.

Otherwise looks solid for a concept.
  3. Akachi Member

I had originally designed it that way, but I felt a bit more satisfied with the full V, which helped inspire the name. However I will post your suggested changed and see how others feels about it.

[IMG]
  4. Vindicore New Member

Looks good, I would change the name as everyone should know that Vindicators are VS ;)

Vengeance sounds good!
  5. McFluff Active Member

sweeeet!
  6. Nicococo Active Member

Nice concept! I would check the submissions forum for the name first because I think its been taken (not sure though)
  7. Akachi Member

Haha, Vengeance was the 4th word on my name list (Almost chose it instead of vindicator), so definitely a good option

Thank you!

Thanks alot, and good advice. Looks like there are TWO helmets with that name, both seem to be discontinued but I think I will scrap the name and go with Vengeance.

UPDATE: 4/14/14 12:06pm EST

After KingKellogs suggestion, I realized that I can probably play around with the visor design alot more. I came up with 4 total alterations (including the first edit.) Tell me which one you prefer

[IMG]
  8. Steveo Member

9. Giz Active Member

10. binarycoder Member

I'm a fan of 2.

Maaaaaybe 3.
  11. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

12. Akachi Member

Well that's certainly an overwhelming Majority. It shall be done.
  13. Seukonnen Member

No one else this looks too high-tech to be NC?
  14. Reddington Member

Oh, man. NC are in for a treat when this gets finished.
  15. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

i'm on the fence about this one, as I want to keep the spectrum broad for all factions. Looking forward to seeing how this translates to 3d
  16. Arctorn Member

The design itself has potential, but a quick color swap here and there and it could be NS, which incorporates influences from all three factions. It can definitely be pushed more towards NC, and it's a great looking helmet, so let's see what happens.
  17. DeadliestMoon Member

I would say a combination of 1 and 4.
  18. Akachi Member

UPDATE: 4/17/14 3:57am EST

I went ahead and did a high poly sculpt for my concept. Something feels missing however, I don't know what it is though. Feedback is much appreciated.

[IMG]

Hmm, I never really considered that. Tell me if you feel the same way now I've uploaded the 3D model

Thanks! Look forward to seeing how this evolves over time

Tell me what you think of the model so far.

Here's the model, tell me which ways I fan push it more towards an NC aesthetic.
  19. Arctorn Member

The sculpt itself is fantastic, great job on that.

I was sitting here staring at it for a while trying to figure out what about it struck me as off, because it's a gorgeous helmet but something kept on nagging at me.

It's a little hard for me to express well, but what I think it might be is that the helmet is almost too "aerodynamic", or the surface of the helmet might be "too smooth". What I mean by this is that if you separate the helmet into large/macro pieces, like the visor, the mouth/chin, the cheek straps that run around the back, and the dome+sides, each of those parts has no major height changes within itself; you could run your hand over it and it wouldn't hitch anywhere.

If you look at some NC concepts, and the NC armor in-game, especially on the HA, there's quite a bit of surface "noise" like ridgelines, overlapping plates, lips and odd square/rectangular bumps. Here's a ****** example I whipped up to try to make myself more coherent:

[IMG]

The right feels a bit more NC than the left here, even though they're pretty much the same piece. I think if you add more dramatic elevation changes like that in otherwise "smooth" areas and can work the visor to be a bit more faceted and less smooth/rounded towards the front, it might help move it more firmly into NC territory. It comes pretty close as it is now, but if you were to simply remove the splashes of blue and make it a color from the NS color palette, this helmet could pass as NS and not as pure NC.
  20. Skooma Lord Member

Looks cool. I like the dark coloring.
    Maybe add a camera to see outside the helmet because right now it doesn't look like it has a visor.