Kestrel Helmet (NC)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Arctorn, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Arctorn Member

Released:

Kestrel Force Suppression Helmet (NC)
    The Kestrel is a 2nd generation proprietary NC design. Developed in response to current field equipment durability complaints, the Kestrel integrates redundant damage control systems, hardened electronics, and concussive dampeners into a reinforced and resilient armored shell.

High Poly Rough Sculpt:
    [IMG]

Low Poly Color Render:
    [IMG]

Concept:
    [IMG]

3D Viewer
  2. Faven Active Member

I like the center one the best, but I think thats alot more TR?

The far right one is the most intresting? could be a fun thing if those circular holes where actually flashlights. Would be a very NC take on what I'm trying to do on my VS helm.

My only "critisicm" on the far right one is that it feels very narrow but thta could just be a personal preference
  3. TheQuaint New Member

If you made the fifth one slightly thicker, I can see that being a very good helmet.
  4. FlippyWarbear New Member

Overall very nice looking designs. :)

From left to right:
    1st is otherwise fine but Im not a fan of the circles on the visor.
    2nd brings that closed foreman helmet to my mind.
    3rd is perhaps the weakest of the bunch, colour the circles in the middle red and call yourself Predator food.
    4th is nice but I get the Dead Space feels from it with the horizontal lines.
    5th is definitely the best one, maybe a bit too narrow like gentlemen above have stated.
  5. ntkrnl Member

6. Puppy Member

With a little work, the fifth one looks the most NC-like out of the bunch. Top of the head needs some improvement, of course. Needs more simple and angular features like the top of the second one.
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

number 3 with the face mask of 5 and slits on the side instead of circles
  8. Arctorn Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'll be bouncing back and forth between this and the Osprey.
  9. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

10. Arctorn Member

Alright, Osprey first.
  11. Arctorn Member

Got a little frustrated with the Osprey due to Maya bugs and such, so I played around a bit more with the Kestrel just to feel productive.

[IMG]

Worked a 5-ish faceplate into the 3, still more tweaking and such to make it feel bulkier/more rugged.

EDIT: Should add that this is all very loose and experimental, so some parts might pull away from feeling NC. I'll try to hammer those areas down better, but for now I'm just looking for general feedback on how the helmet feels.
  12. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

Getting too curvy on the back. Front looks great
  13. Tenebrae Member

The last four comments before the most recent from T-Ray crack me up.

That aside, that's looking pretty wicked as well, looking forward to seeing what you do with the backside. :)
  14. Battleballs Member

T-Ray is right. Try something less rounded and smooth. Here is an example of what I see in your cencept.
    http://imgur.com/K4tNiKv
  15. Arctorn Member

I had actually done something sort of similar, I just didn't post it yet because it's still pretty rough and I'm still tweaking a ton of things, but I'll slap it up just so people can get an idea.

[IMG]
  16. Faven Active Member

best back ever.

almost.

Reminds me a bit of a neck reference I was looking at for a heavy NC helm I was tinkering with between all other stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/9mehvOM.jpg
  17. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

18. Tenebrae Member

Awesome...simply awesome.
  19. BeastBuster Member

Looking pretty awesome there Arctorn! I am amazed at how quickly you can crank out these quality helmets. I would love to see your process in Zbrush haha.
  20. Battleballs Member

That looks perfect for matching the front. Great work. You work fast and to the point before others.