Helmet: VS - HailStorm

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Frsotforger, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Enig Member

Just letting you know that by toggling subdiv surface it has a side effect revealing some fly-away verts out there. Might need a quick once-over export and import, or freeze/delete-hist. EDIT: P3D just doesn't like that button. I don't like subd's or working with them, I just saw it and figured I'd bring it up. It's not your model, it's definitely just P3D freaking out a little.

Looking good by the way, really looking forward to seeing this one finished. I can't get enough hoods for my VS alt, and I'll be picking this one up.
  2. Frsotforger Member

I have yet to do any cleanup. Just trying to find a design that works. thanks btw

oh also, kinda strange how this turned into a "hood" helm. Originally it was more about a sleek mask with hood accents to protect from the cold. Its just the cold is so damn fierce on Esamir, full wraps are almost essential. On this last iteration I really committed to the hood concept and went with a grim-reaperish pointed cowl. Kinda fits with VS in regards to type of hood. This piece is really about the face-mask and I hope it is unique enough to register for people.
  3. Frsotforger Member

I textured it. Still have not close holes. new p3d: http://p3d.in/x2XkH
    mental ray render:
    with 2 different normal. plain front for comparison <--- probably better
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  4. Enig Member

Hot ****, best use of the provided normals I've seen yet.
  5. eldarfalcongravtank Member

HOLY CRAP! YES MOAARR!!
  6. AfableAutomaton Member

Love where this is going, good use of normal map. Only one thing bothers me, the glowing strip in the middle of the "mouth". I think this older version of it from the nose down was perfect. I liked it flatter with a slight ridge like you have it here

[IMG]
  7. Frsotforger Member

I agree with you and like plain face better. The strip is to resemble the Vanu more, and I would be happy to remove it if people think it looks fitting without. Waiting on upstairs before doing anything else with this.
  8. Frsotforger Member

its kinda like dating. Even if it hurts, an answer is better than a dangle. can I get a yes or no on if i should finish this? http://p3d.in/x2XkH
  9. Nicococo Active Member

You should cap all those holes anyway even if you dont get a response. Atleast it'll be finished and you'll be one step ahead of the game. ;)
  10. Frsotforger Member

probably not as I don't want to waste any more time. I proposed a pretty solid design initially. After responding to feedback the design turned into something very generic. I am rather annoyed with how my response to community feedback led to nowhere on this. ;)

Going to focus my anger into another project that will be better than this. I did my best. moving on.
  11. Nicococo Active Member

You're wasting time leaving it the way it is now and not finishing it. This design is getting better now and dropping it would be a disappointment for the community. You'll need to pick and choose what changes to make on your future concepts, not all of them will work and you wont be happy with some of them but you will have to compromise and go forward with it anyways.
  12. Frsotforger Member

If T-Ray isn't talking, he doesn't want it. This is hours of work to close holes on something he does not seem to like. Am I reading this wrong?
  13. Deans Member

He probably just agrees with what other people have said and doesn't want to repeat them. This thing looks really cool, don't give up on it!
  14. Frsotforger Member

^^ Everyone should know this is my best friend, and comrade in games for almost a decade.
    If this was steam workshop, we submit finished pieces only, and marketing images decide out fate. Since this is a "collaborative environment" I wait on comments and approvals before clogging the pipe with bad designs. Frankly I already forced my way through some designs that are not wanted (lonestar to name just one). Even my TR Esamir helmet was rushed with little to no good support(frostbreaker). I regret doing this and hate seeing the "pending content" on stuff I know they do not like.

@nic - As it stands there is nothing to respond to design wise that has not been discussed. so I am not sure what other community changes your talking about.

I really don't like putting people on the spot, however I worked hard to get it to this point and feel 4 seconds of looking and a yes, no, maybe, is within professional courtesy.
  15. Nicococo Active Member

I was referring to future designs but regarding the completion of this helmet... I honestly dont think closing up some gaps will take that long to do and it wouldn't be wasted time. When it comes to adding in new details or pieces then yes, Tray's approval is needed but just not in this case.
  16. Frsotforger Member

Are you talking on his behalf now? I'm getting confused.

[IMG]
  17. Nicococo Active Member

No, absolutely not.
  18. Enig Member

I don't get it, it doesn't take long to close gaps and merge verts, same time it took to have this convo.

Honestly when I get that far with a model, I find it best to just go ahead and finish it.

Also: My accepted helmet only had one feedback comment from TRay, and my Death's head received no feedback, but I still feel confident of its acceptance.
  19. Frsotforger Member

swear to god this is a wind up...
  20. Frsotforger Member

fine, i'm finishing it. If this gets declined, you people owe me a sandwich.