HELMET Creators Please Read!!!!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by TramellRayIsaac, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

When you start a helmet, Please make a new thread with the title of the thread ' NC ' Hellraiser' Helmet'
    Faction_Name_Type. Due to the amount of time I have available during the day. I tend to stay away from 'casual' forum post like "helmet suggestions" or "helmet style test" these say to me that they don't need my immediate attention.

Remember, your geo and textures WILL BE ALTERED after you submit. This is just the way it is for now. We try to make visual calls that we feel will get the most mileage out of the piece. Regardless of our changes, ALWAYS champion your piece. You can effect the sales of the product just as much as we can.

Please NO MAX HELMETS at this time. 4% of players across ALL factions play Max. It's just not worth it at this time. When we open up into new markets, we will reconsider.

Please use this tool when your GEO is ready
    http://p3d.in/

this will help us to evaluate your geometry before your submission. With this, we'll be able to correct and review helmet GEO before it reaches us.

My reference link.. a collection of various helmets
    http://trayisaac.imgur.com/

Thanks
    Keep the good stuff coming
  2. Estred Member

That seems very similar to Sketchfab.com which is also a WebGL based 3D embedding website. Any reason for your prefering P3D? Mostly just curious.
  3. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

i just need to see it in 3d..
  4. Arctorn Member

If I had to wager a guess, it's probably just because of the frequency with which it's been used so far. NinjaPirate introduced it in his Vanu Helmet thread, I thought it was nifty and started using it, other people thought it was nifty too and started using it, etc.

It fits a need and people are already familiarizing themselves with it; that's probably it.

Or that.

EDIT: Just something neato that the forum admins might want to consider if we're going to default to this; might be cool if possible.

Embedding p3d.
  5. Estred Member

I'll keep it in mind if I decide to try and cross over into the Planetside 2 part of Player Studio. Both websites let you view in 3D and view in Wireframe mode so I don't see the real distinction beyond EQ2 artists started using SF and seems PS2 artists began using P3D.

Thanks for the response.
  6. MasterMagnus Active Member

Is the EULA the same? I never used SketchFab because you're supposed to pay for it if your using it professionally, and since we're getting paid I figure we'd be required to pay for SF.

Does the P3D charge for 'professional' use also?
  7. JerreyRough Member

The "P" stands for "Professional" in P3D :p . It doesn't charge, but they will have a "plus" option that will be available that has extra options and gives you far more space. What Imgur does for images P3D does for models basically, except no ads for free users.
    • Like x 1
  8. Estred Member

I wasn't aware of that part of the EULA on Sketchfab. If that is the case I guess I had better swap over to P3D quickly.
  9. MasterMagnus Active Member

I don't know for certain, I never even read their EULA myself, just what I heard on here.

**EDIT** I believe Rollen mentioned he had paid for the full service since he was 'using it professionally'. If I'm remembering right.
  10. ntkrnl Member

P3D is free, make sure you opt into the beta whilst the beta parts are free, you get upto 2.5gb free space and you can put on materials/textures, upload the nc/vs/tr sheets after you conver them to png to your models and you can see how the diffuse sits too.
  11. JerreyRough Member

Another thing about working on helmets, or any other asset for that matter: don't be afraid to post it on the forums! Even if someone remakes it or rips your model from P3D, it won't make it into the game. People will see its similarities and/or the fact that it is a duplicate of someone else's work, report it, then it will be removed. All before it even gets close to making it into the game.

If you don't post it, and someone makes basically the same asset as you, then your asset will probably not make it in. Even if you didn't know about the other asset whatsoever, it will be too similar to that existing one.
  12. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

Added reference links
  13. Arctorn Member

It's funny how most of those pictures are in my super secret reference folders.

TRay y u share my secret stash :(

On a more serious note, a great resource to pull inspiration from, but a friendly reminder to make original works and not re-create things you think look cool.
  14. Nicococo Active Member

Wow. THose are some great references!
    • Like x 1
  15. ntkrnl Member

Yeah i have some of those reference in a folder on my pc too :)
  16. McFluff Active Member

So, I just got back, and read this thread just after I posted Beat. how can I change my threads name?
  17. Cbug Tekshattera Member

are we limited to only one image file for the textures of each object used to make the helmet?
  18. JerreyRough Member

You use the images in the example file for the helmet. So yes you are limited to one image for all objects for a helmet. Remember that you do not make an image! And remember to make all objects for a helmet into one single object with subobjects.
  19. Cbug Tekshattera Member

hmm, interesting. okay
  20. Zokk New Member

Besides the general submission guidelines, are there any program-specific guidelines we should follow when creating and submitting a helmet model? I use Blender to model, but I've seen that the PS2 art department uses Maya, so I was wondering if there was anything I should keep in mind when modeling in Blender to ensure proper import and display in Maya. You know, to make the art department's job a little bit easier.