Harasser Windsheild -Ablative Armor

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by AfableAutomaton, Mar 27, 2014.

1. AfableAutomaton Member

Hey everyone, here is another concept I'm kicking around. My insparation is the ablative tiles they use on aeroshells and the belly of the space shuttle. I want it to look a little like scales but still have a honeycomb pattern. the geo needs cleanup where its clipping a bit and the texture may change,but I think it gets the point across. Please tell me what you think!

OblativeArmor preview1 (View in 3D)
    [IMG]
  2. Shockwave414 Active Member

Are they... see-through tiles?
  3. McFluff Active Member

Amazing!
  4. McFluff Active Member

Dude, Nantes, anything is possible
    • Like x 1
  5. AfableAutomaton Member

haha, yeah... I knew someone was going to call me out on that one. Alot of the windshield concepts arnt very practical in this sense (severely limited visibility) kinda have to take all of them with a grain of salt I gess

Im thinking something like it would have a HUD using exterior mounted sensors. Once I do the cleanup on the tiles and see how many polys Ive used Im going to add in some more details.
  6. AfableAutomaton Member

Here Is another iteration I was messing with. Uses about half as many polys than the original and has some Lidar type sensors for the driver to "see" with.

OblativeArmor preview2 (View in 3D)
    [IMG]
  7. Shockwave414 Active Member

Seems more like snake scales now. Could be a VS only cosmetic. Your original version looked more like sensors.

I also wouldn't do a blanket wrap. Break up the pattern a bit.
  8. Enamel32 New Member

I like the second version, but from the front it kind of looks like one smooth piece. I'd imagine it should be the most noticeable for the dude you're running over, so maybe it would work better angled in the other direction?
  9. gotimas Member

T-ray please tell me faction specific attachments are possible
  10. AfableAutomaton Member

The sensors are along the top of the windshield, based off your comment, I think I might have made them too subtle. not sure what you mean by blanket wrap, are you taking about the textures?

I would have liked to keep more definition in the tiles like the first version but it was eating up almost the entire polycount. I might try flipping them but Im hopeing I can do something with the textures instead. Right now it looks great from the side but it does kinda disappear when viewd head on
  11. Shockwave414 Active Member

I mean don't just use the sensors or vary the sizes. Mix it up.