Zliten talks about New Tunaria!

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-EQ2Playa432, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-EQ2Playa432 Guest

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive.vm?id=1001&section=News

Zliten talks about New Tunaria!
    Can you tell us about New Tunaria and all the major changes that took place?

Zliten: Over the years previous, the inhabitants of Felwithe had to endure the withdrawal of the gods, the War of the Fay, and then the Rending and Shattering....

Read the whole interview at the link above!
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Zliten: Over the years previous, the inhabitants of Felwithe had to endure the withdrawal of the gods, the War of the Fay, and then the Rending and Shattering. The survivors worked to protect what was left of their kind, and purify their city…along with their race. The old buildings that had been occupied by the dark elves for even such a short amount of time were demolished to remove all traces of their corruption. The city was rebuilt in the grandiose and beautiful manner you see it now, and the surviving high elves took to repopulating their race. To protect their pure bloodlines and society, they closed off the gates to their city, even as the rest of Faydwer rebuilt just outside those walls.

Felwithe does not exist anymore, what are the circumstances that led to the change of names?

Zliten: As mentioned above, the city of Felwithe had been taken over by the dark elves during the War of the Fay. Once the city was recaptured, the high elves that remained demolished all the structures that had been tainted by the Tier`Dal. When it was decided by the queen and the council that they needed to repopulate and purify their bloodlines, the name of Koada`Dal was no longer appropriate. They were to create a new race of elf more pure and more close to the image of their goddess than ever, in hopes of regaining favor with her and to draw her back. Thus is born the Renda`Dal, better known as the New Tunarians.

Tell us about the fate of the old inhabitants of Felwithe?

Zliten: The old inhabitants of Felwithe were mostly slaughtered in the war, and almost brought to extinction. The ones who survived had no choice but to make use of magic to alter their growth and aging process. That, along with selective breeding, brought the New Tunarian inhabitants that you see today.

Did you work on the original EQ1? and what did you incorporate in EoF?

Zliten: Well, I did not work on the original EverQuest, but it's what got me hooked on MMOs. I primarily play evil characters. You may perhaps notice that I like to make traditionally good things evil.

We all love the beautiful architecture; can you tell us about New Tunaria's architecture, and the difficulty of building it on top of those huge waterfall?

Zliten: It was great working with the artist that worked on this zone. I would like to defer answering this question to him

Alfonso Villar: Working on New Tunaria was challenging and fun at the same time. For the overall design, I wanted to create a city that blend well with nature, buildings and waterfalls that work well together. For the architecture, I tried to create a more grandiose environment, big buildings, huge towers, big courtyard and still they feel like the belong their. Although is fantasy I like to design in a way that still believable. I hope I was able to help you to answer your question.

So Rendal Dal means "New Elf". I guess that takes care of that.
  3. ARCHIVED-RaphaNissi Guest

And you came by that deduction how? We always knew they were called "New Tunarians." Unless "Dal" suddenly means "Tunarian," I don't get how it's an absolute that Renda`Dal means "New Elf."
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Dal means Elf.

Tier Dal - Abyss Elf

Feir Dal - Light Elf

Koada Dal - High Elf

Ayr Dal - Outcast Elf.

Sul Dal - Dont know what Sul means but Dal means Elf.
  5. ARCHIVED-WarreSammontakoja Guest

What about those things in Mistmoore catacombs

Myr'dal or something? NewTunarian Breeding program gone wrong?
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Experiments of Mistmoore, actually, but they used to be high elves...
  7. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

? makes no sense at all,also don't know why "they created a new race.." should mean they call them self new elves.

The ones who survived had no choice but to make use of magic to alter their growth and aging process.
    younger or older(regarding age)? only logicall choice would be longer so they don't pass away since their population is this low.
    And how could all those Elves that went to Qeynos after the war of fay(to aid the people against the rallosian army) but before the shattering still call themself Koada'Dal when those elves in felwithe were alredy renamed to Renda'Dal after the war of fey?
    This becomes realy inconsistent.
  8. ARCHIVED-TheKons Guest

Some that survived the war of fay moved to qeynos to help against the rallosian invasion. Those that stayed behind closed the gates and began to purify the city/race. Makes sense to me. They were called Koada'Dal before they closed the gates.
  9. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

Would be good if it were this way, but it sounds like they started all of this right after the war of fay, not after/during the shattering
  10. ARCHIVED-TheKons Guest

I'm sure ALL of the Koada'Dal weren't inside of Felwith. When the fighting stopped they could have said, We are going to seal the gates this is your last chance to come inside, and some of them went in and some stayed behind to help qeynos. I doubt it was mandatory that all Koada'Dal that were in that vicinity HAD to go into Felwith.
  11. ARCHIVED-PassingStranger Guest

While not necessarily lore-related, I get the impression that "Renda'Dal" is a reference to them being post-rending elves. But it's unlikely that that's supposed to be elvish.

On a side note, someone mentioned the Sul'Dal - I'm fairly certain the Sul is because of their goddess, Anashti Sul.
  12. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

Sul'Dal does indeed combine a lost goddess with the elves. But who is Anashti Sul and what, if anything, would Sul translate to? I can tell you that 'Un' often means all or whole, depending on its position. Things we have learned on our expeditions into the Living Tombs and the Silent City have not gone by the wayside. Their importance to the Age of Destiny slumbers.
    As for New Tunaria, we shall undoubtedly learn more of what transpired in this ancient city between the Age of Turmoil and the Age of Destiny. When a new crusade is given, many answers will be revealed.
  13. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Annnnnnnnddddd...the winner of "The Most Cryptic" post award goes to!!!

VHALEN!!!

:smileytongue:
  14. ARCHIVED-Zagats Guest

Vhalen's post translated into english :
    Ya know, I'm not quite sure of that one... let me go look back into my many spiral notebooks and see what I wrote down.
  15. ARCHIVED-RaphaNissi Guest

Undead/Undeath might be a possible translation for Sul. She is the goddess of undeath who grants unlife or undeath to her followers. I noticed in the other thread about her that she is worshiped by vampires. Maybe she is the true first one and another of Mayong's flings :smileytongue:

Some people have mentioned about when Felwithe closed their gates to outsider and how close it was to the War of Fay. According to the History of the Tunarians, it seems to have taken a bit of time before they closed off their city to the rest of the world. They did some rebuilding and created family trees to find out who had the purest blood in them. Both of those things would have taken quite a while. I thought I had read another source that made it sound like it had happened only in the last century or so. I can't remember what that source was, so I might be off there.

The History of Tunarians mentioned they wanted to create the perfect elf because they saw the Elddar Elves in their old history books and realized how different they were from them. They felt the Koada'Dal and Feir'Dal were perversions of the ancient race that was so close to Tunare. They wanted to be perfect and pure. Those two words would be a more likely translation for "Renda" than the translation of "new." They were trying to recreate an ancient race, not create a new one.
  16. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

"The ones who survived had no choice but to make use of magic to alter their growth and aging process."

I actually like how they only made themselves worse since thier lifespan is now less than that of humans.
  17. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

*starts preparing for the trip crusade into my homeland!*
    < Is the purest elf in existance of course! (I was the last Elf to be born before they decided to differ betweenHigh Elves and Wood Elves) No one could ever be as pure as me! Therefore I must take it upon myself to cleanse those that have followed the wrong path. (The Renda'Dal of course) and the Queen probabbly remembers me, but I don't think Mistmoore would like it if he saw me alive today!

Calling all Elves! We must rush into Felwithe and take back our city! Afterwards we need to rebuild Fayspire and uncover Takish'Hiz. Once this has been done I can die in peace. (or continue aging for that matter, because I haven't aged since I was last in Felwithe under peaceful terms...) Probabbly would have been all diferent if I was there to stop them, but I was researching the fateful night when we uncovered the Plane of Time. (wow Im roleplaying too much and apparently I have found a legacy for me too!)
    Message Edited by Josgar on 12-14-2006 03:56 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

Well after listening to some NPCs in castleview(+ reading some lost dialogs inside old screenshots) and reading some other stuff again.. the most important changes(renaming to renda'dal, altering of age, renaming felwithe) couldn't happen right after the war of fay, more 100-150 years ago to be in line with several dialogs and texts. They weren't even on this purification/no contact to outsiders trip before the rending, lenya thex leaded both races to rebuild felwithe and Kelethin(listen to Tayare in willow wood).
    But why should they wait rougly 250 years(after the war of fay)for all those changes?Can't take this long just to rebuild the city.
    Message Edited by Zarafein on 12-14-2006 05:39 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Its the Rending, not the Shattering. The Shattering happened 15 years ago.
  20. ARCHIVED-Zarafein Guest

Ah yes, replace shattering with rending..(just fixed this in my previous post) anyway this doesn't change the facts(that all those changes must be very recent to be in line) and the question.
    Message Edited by Zarafein on 12-14-2006 05:38 PM
    Message Edited by Zarafein on 12-14-2006 05:39 PM