Zerker for raid tank?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Xateric, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Xateric Member

recently came back to game and am trying to decide on what to play for main raid tank, are zerkers still good and how does the SK compare.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Well....

Have you done anything with potency in game yet? Let's start there. And welcome back, btw. :)
  3. Moostafoo Active Member

its literally all potency these days.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

I hear what you two are saying, but what does that mean for the OP's question? Is there a significant negative/positive for Zerkers regarding potency?
    Avahlynn likes this.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

My question was not to negate his inquiry but to sort of know where to start. I wasn't sure how long he was gone or at what level he'd left. Sorry if it came across as bad or demeaning. Totally was not being snarky.

I just didn't want to waste his time. My sincere apologies. I was asking with good intentions. Thanks for calling me on it. I'd hate for anyone to feel I was mocking them.
  6. Xateric Member

Well I don't know what that is so....no
  7. Dude Well-Known Member

No, didn't think you were being snarky or mocking anyone. Sorry if I came across that way. I truly just didn't know if there was something about potency that makes Zerker a good/bad choice.
  8. Xateric Member

Well does this potency even out all the tanks.....if so it could.....when I left the zerker, monk and guard where on top the pally was not good.
  9. Xateric Member

Here is why I need to know this potency, I left the game around level 85, came back and just piddled my zerker to level 93 but never looked into anything new in the game. Now I came back and got my free level 95, rolled sk and went to tranquil sea and rounded up 5 mobs on the sk and killed them with 93% health left, went and took out my zerker to same spot and dead, I mean all life saves gone in 5 seconds....never had that happen before, plus I could not dmage them for much....so is this potency the issue?
  10. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

No problem! I know that text can read a million ways and I've accidentally hurt feelings before. Not fun.

As to potency. Hmm...you know how with expansions they sometimes add in a new must have? It's been mitigation before. Potency is kinda like that. It really can make it quite hard to keep aggro in a group of high dps. It's the current stat to have, and tanks are dropping mitigation (yesterday's golden child) for potency. Now this is just my pov, and I don't raid anymore, so please know I'm not the best at raid balance. Basically right now potency is the difference between struggling to do one's job as a tank and doing ok. I've heard some raid tanks say with enough potency they are doing ok.

So that's what's what now. As to where you are coming back, I too noticed my zerker versus my sister's sk was not so great. This was not the case two years (ish) ago. Her skill and mine are probably on par so I don't think I got dumber lately. (But who knows...lol). If I were you and newly back, I'd fall back with the 95 to ToV, and work on ironing out macros and your melee, heroic opportunity stuff. Just you know, shake the dust off, as it were. Are you in a guild? If so, and you are raiding with them, they can best tell you what they need in a tank, and you can tailor make your aa spec from that. If you do pugs, well, you're braver than me. ;) They can be sorta hard at times on healers and tanks.

After you are settled in, run AoM some. Overland should be no problem. It'll get you some gear and coin.

I'll be a bit brutal and say my zerker isn't in that fun a place right now. It's become less enjoyable overall, but that's in part because tanks all have different tricks for each class. Pulling aggro back off sister's high octane caster wasn't what I found fun after the fiftieth time. Yell, establish aggro...oh a nuke....re establish aggro....yell....heal...nuke...yell yell ....my sis on her sk is having less issues. (Again may well be my fault or lack of umph, I'm far from perfect).

That's not to discourage you. It's just you're right as far as I've seen. Tanks are in some weirdo place at lower and mid tier. It seems good raiders can be successful, with their gear and rotations/set ups. All that being said, I'm sure to be flamed or 'adamently corrected' a ton for this post and a new expansion is on the way which may change it all soon anyways. Such is eq2.
    Dude likes this.
  11. Xateric Member

Thank you for the advice....yea when I left the guards and zerkers were in a good place for raid MT, but yes I know when it comes to EQ2 it can change quickly....they have never been subtle with the buff or nerf. :)
    Dude and Avahlynn like this.
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Oh good, some folks are like 0.0 with class changes. I've learned to roll with it and play what I enjoy....but as a non raider I have fewer people who are depending on me. I would see what the top raiders on your server are doing for tanking. We are at the end on an expansion and the new one is on the way, so a lot of folks are geared and have wiggle room to play more cavalierly. Wipes are rarer now than they'll likely be come next expansion.
  13. guard Active Member

i have a guard and a zerker both can be raid tanks althou imo the guard is alot better (personal opionen as guard has always been my main) i only use my zerker for grouping and again found personally zerker is easy with a good group set up i.e having a coers and bard in group without them it can be hard work especially on single targets.
    like other have said it is all about the stats now adays my zerker has just over 8k pot and my guard has over 9k both have about 22k mit which is more than enought for all herioc content and majority of raid content. so to answer your question can a zerker raid tank the answer is yes if you set it up properly
  14. Mandoblast Active Member

I am 100% confident that any tank, with the current gear, can tank any raid in the game. The key is "current gear". I prefer my SK over a Zerker but that is personal choice not "x is better than y".
    Azian likes this.
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

*grins* I have found, as I am an AoE dps SK, that a berserker MT is better since he seems to hit more mobs than our SK MT, so when I start putting down the weapons of mass destruction, I don't get noticed as much until its too late...
  16. ZUES Well-Known Member

Zerkers are the popular choice right now. Mainly because the volume of blue AOE's they have. Most of those blues pump out a descent amount of threat. So, just like the last 3 expansions, zerker is holding large group encounters better than any other tank.

The above statement is correct; any tank can raid tank these days. It's just that DPS classes are pumping out so much DPS that no tanks can keep up with the hate unless they are doing mad DPS themselves. Because of this, zerkers, SKs and bruisers shine. Potency gear makes it so all three can dish out some monster sized parses.