Yet another returning!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ugorth, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ugorth New Member

Long time player of MMO's started off with EQ back in the late 90's and moved on to WoW and other games, but EQ2 always held a place in the back of my mind. I always wanted to get into it, but it never failed I'd level, join a guild, then inevitably the guild would implode leaving me in the mid 30's playing an MMO like a single player game. Don't get me wrong I understand that soloing is a relatively big part of the game these days since most players are well established, but having people to chat with or at least know someone else is on is nice.

I'm looking to start fresh in preparation for EQ Next, and just finding a way to kill free time. I typically play a healer, but healing in EQ sort of intimidates me. I am not planning on raiding later, at least not with my current responsibilities and commitments, but I would like the option of being effective when I do.

I've narrowed my class selection down to a necro/conj for ranged or an inq/mystic for heals. I used to play an INQ and I like the idea of a healer wading into the fray with a big ole 2h strapped to his back. So I am definetly leaning more towards that area.

I am also trying to decide if I should grind to a higher level and comeback and do quests, or lock my combat xp and take the scenic route.

So LONG post coming to an end, looking for opinions between the two class archtypes and a fairly active realm, I've played alot on AB, but for some reason always find the guilds where no one is on, either that or im missing something.

Help and suggestions are very much appreciated.
  2. Snowhaze Active Member

I don't really have opinions on classes other than to play what you enjoy, especially since you don't plan on raiding, but welcome back, just returned about 6 months ago myself and having a blast. If you're on Permafrost, look me up :)
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have a conjy, inquisitor, and mystic. I like all of them. I love my conjy because she's a gnome who likes to watch things explode. Necros are doing more damage currently than conjurors, but I can't stand the smell of rotting dead things.

Inquisitors can be beasts in melee combat as well as great healers. Mystics are also battle priests, and they're in demand, but they cast soooo slooooow. You really have to look at adornments and gear with an eye to adding cast speed. Both these healer classes really come into their own after you get the epic weapon buff... i.e., you do the heroic epic weapon class, then you do the follow-on quest that makes the weapon proc a permanent spell.

Inquisitors have great curing abilities. I think they get more ways to cure than any other healer class. And curing is way more important most of the time than healing. Inquisitors also get Verdict, which smites a monster dead when you get it to whatever percentage at the end of a fight (it varies between heroic and epic monsters). Inquisitors have reactive heals, so that when the person they're healing gets hit, the heal goes off in response to that hit.

Mystics cast wards, which is like a magic shield floating out there. Before a monster can hit the person you have warded, they have to destroy the ward. This, of course, is extremely helpful. Mystics also have a handful of buffs that really help a melee group, and they get some very handy debuffs (the more you debuff the tough guys, the easier they are to kill).

All classes can solo all the way to end game, if desired. If you have plans for raiding, watch the guild recruitment ads that get spammed in channels and over on Flames. People need bards, enchanters, and mystics. Any healer who knows how to play their class can usually get a raid spot. My raid group has me, a conjy, as well as a necro, and we are great on certain fights.

Play what you like. I usually try playing a class to about level 20 to see how it feels. If you hate it, set it aside (don't delete, you may want it later!) and try another.
  4. Ugorth New Member

Thanks all I'm going to go for a inq, just have to find a realm.
  5. Dexella Associate Producer

Welcome back! :)
  6. Councellor Member

Retributions Blade a level 95 guild on the Freeport Server has been active for almost two years now. We're a social, content exploration style guild that has the ability to raid if members want however our style is different than most. We are NOT, repeat, NOT a raiding guild as we focus on content exploration. What that means is our folks love to group, love to converse, and love to assist others reach their goals. We seek to explore the entire game content (zones, dungeons, instances, quests, etc.) For us it's not about quickly reaching the end game but instead enjoying the journey along the way. We seriously strive to remain "drama free" and our "you chose your participation" style gives our members less stress and more enjoyment in-game. Our members are expected to "Play with Honor" and be a cut above the normal character integrity of MMO's. We are open to any class, and level over 10. Players must be 18 years or older to join. If we sound like something you'd be interested in, feel free to look us up on the Freeport Server. We'd be glad to welcome you back and show you a different side to the guild's you've seemed to have experienced in the past. Regardless, good luck in Norrath. May your travels be safe!
    Ugorth likes this.
  7. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Like other posters say: If you aren't planning on raiding, play what you like, the way you like. Because the game is so old, lower levels go WAY faster than they used to. If you are exploring content and lore, you might want to lock in order to finish all the quests in the area you are in, or you will outlevel them. If you like just settling in to a few hours of mindless grinding, that would be a good way to level your AA's to keep up with your adventure level.

Sounds like you are in the enviable spot of being able to do whatever you want :) Should be fun. Guilds on Antonia Bayle are so spread out, that you end up with the situation you are mentioning. There are a few active guilds, but you need to keep your eyes open and see which ones those are. I'm in a guild that has no one in it - and I'm FINE with that :)
  8. Treiko Active Member

I can understand being intimidated by healing - though I think tanking is far worse :p Once you get into the groove of how things are paced in combat it should flow a lot better for you. Inquis is a blast to play, as are the other healers for the most part (though I am partial to the melee healers(Inquis, warden, mystic)). Just have fun, and by the time you get to healing higher content it will be second nature to you.