Yet another AA question

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Mronin, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Mronin Guest

So as not to step on another sort of similar thread I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm curious about the last AA spell in the INT line. It seems to me that it's use is questionable for players like me the that spend 98-99% of my time grouping or raiding given that (from the way I read it) it only procs on direct melee hits. So with a proper group or raid I'm not (and shouldn't be) spending much of any time going toe to toe with the mobs thus taking direct damage. I'm curious if those of you who did spend the points for the last spell in the INT line have found it usefull? If not perhaps I should just spend those last eight bumping the other skills in either INT or AGI? Bearing in mind that while I do play the sweet spot 99% of the time I do so only to have the option of doing some damage in between ranged CA's and auto attack if necessary.

My current AA line is AGI 4/4/4 and INT 4/4/4.
  2. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

Read the description of it. I believe it says it only affects SPELLS. It's not a great ability for rangers, more for assassins.
  3. ARCHIVED-RonlaenJeremy Guest

Don't usually post here but I'm a fan of Intoxication. Almost all the time I'm able to cast it inbetween fights so it doesn't take any casting time during the fight. For my play style I never melee auto attack but I start off the fight with debuffs + mortal reminder until that first dispatch is called then go into focus. So right from the get go intox is on the mob. I'm geared a lot towards int and can get 300+ self buffed. From merged parses I've seen Intox account for an average of 5% of my damage with raid wide dps being anywhere between 1.2k-1.6k(still need DT & sarnak /cry). Anyways for my playstyle I think it works great and only thing I lose is 3 points in ranged & 4 points in spell crits.
  4. ARCHIVED-Mronin Guest

I really should have more coffee before posting, I think I just answered my own question.
    Message Edited by Mronin on 10-05-2006 10:30 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-Mronin Guest

Ronlaen:

I don't melee auto attack either and in the sweet spot also start off with debuffs. I'm also geared heavy on INT and AGI on armor and STR and WIS on jewelry. In re reading the description of Intoxication I believe I may be misinterpreting how it triggers. The description says "On successful melee attack" which I initially took to mean it was a reactive spell which cast when I took direct melee damage. Though I believe now that I'm wrong and that it triggers when I either cast a melee CA or would go into melee auto attack.
  6. ARCHIVED-RonlaenJeremy Guest

That is indeed how it works, so when I start off the fight with a quick Mortal Reminder it triggers right away. Ticks every 6 seconds for often times 1k+ on debuffed mob for 48secs.
  7. ARCHIVED-Mronin Guest

Thanks Ronlaen. I'm still not 100% sure that I'll spend the eight points on this or not but it's certainly something to seriously consider now. Especially when in raids with tougher mobs and the battles take a little longer. My only issue with dot poisons is their burst damage tends to not be as good as dd poison and often the battle is over before the dot poison has had a chance to tick again. However in the case with Intoxication given that it appears as though it effects epics and the other effects it does look as if it may be worth the cost of a respec if I do unlock it and find it's not helping.
  8. ARCHIVED-pseudocide Guest

why don't you have any points into ranged crit? ranged crit is the best AA evar.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mronin Guest

Oh no my next AA point is going into opening up the ranged crit and I plan on following the AGI line all the way down to the final skill. I still have a ways to go until I'm maxed on KoS AA points and was just asking because I like to plan ahead :). Currently my AA tree for AGI is: 4 in base AGI, 4 in Point Blank Shot, and 4 in Fitness. Current tree for INT is: 4 in base INT, 4 in poison combination, 4 in Neurotoxic Coating.
  10. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

agi/int isnt too bad... (while i have way too less AA to comment on this one really :p)
    but im determined to reply as many threads this evening as possible, sry, bear with me :p

++Xan
  11. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

yes, you are :smileywink:
    edited. (bah), this is my 100th post, thought i would get an new title/colour.

Message Edited by Gerdos on 10-08-2006 08:18 AM