wrapps/knuckles? and 1h versus 2h

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-mulerman, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-mulerman Guest

I am looking to invest in a weapon (quest or buy - not sure yet) for my lvl 25 mnk. I have heard that the wraps/knuckles are not the way to go - is this true - if so why? I would think they would be very suited to a mnk. Also, what is the best way to compare 1 and 2hand weapons. If a 2hb has a rating of say 20 and two duel blunt weapons each have a rating of say 13 - what is a fair comparison - do the 2 duels end up with a rating of 26 (13+13)?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!
  2. ARCHIVED-woode Guest

disclaimer: dont flame me.. this is my opinion / what i do.. obviously we cant all do the same thing because then the game would be boring if we all ran around with the same gear, stats, race, etc

going solo or if your not the MT in a group.. id use a 2h wep (more specifically a staff)

-they look cool
    -if you time your combat arts right, you can do them "in between" when the 2h wep swings, maximizing your damage (not a huge difference.. but ever little bit counts to some people)

being MT in a group, i dual wield whatever gives the most +AGI and health.. (most of the time you will get more +stats out of dual wielding than 2h, personally i think they need to change this so 2h weps have more stats to balance this out.. but thats off topic :p)
    right now im dual wielding some imbued etched leather spiked cestus' (T4 item, im not sure what the T3 is called..). im not a big fan of there graphics, so i might switch to fists or 2x staves... im still looking into what type of dual wielder gives most +AGI (i think its what im using; the cestus' but im not sure..)

also, as to ratings of weapons.. im pretty sure 2x 10.0 dual wielders are the same as a 20.0 two hander (except you will get more stats outta the dual wielding ..) At least this would make sense, when comparing quest rewards the dual wielders will be exactly 1/2 of the 2h reward etc..
    Message Edited by woode on 04-25-2005 04:25 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-sglanton Guest

I am not sure about the rest, but I take the following into consideration:
    1. Am I tanking? From my understanding, typically, 2h are better for tanking. (higher dmg from single hit maybe?)
    2. Stats. You are 98% likely losing stats using 2h over 2 1h weapons.
    3. Dmg output. I compare dmg ratings with regards to speed and stats. Looking at fists/wraps, they have lower delay, but also, usually lower dmg rating.

I really like the batons. I have a 2h as backup or just for fun when duoing with my guardian friend.
    You cant beat the stats of 2 good 1h.
  4. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

I am pretty darn sure that you can just add up the damage ratings on dual wield weapons and compare to the rating on a 2h. I haven't parsed it, but my observations over a lot of fights indicate this.
    Obviously, the stats on 2 dual wield weapons tend to be better than those on a single 2h. The damage on weapons of comparable levels is usually around the same.
    After dual wielding for a long time, I have recently switched to 2h. Four primary reasons for this:
      1. The bo animations are so d#$m cool.
      2. I have been tanking in a regular group a lot lately. When you are fighting equal/higher level ^^ MoB's, you get a lot of ripostes. Each time you swing, the MoB has a chance to riposte. 1/2 the swings = less ripostes.
      3. I only had one severed cedar and wanted a weapon I could use, so I got an imbued cedar bo. It rocks. I love it. (Point here is that if you are dropping a LOT of cash on a weapon, buying one is cheaper than buying two.)
      4. The bo animations are so d#$m cool. :smileywink:

Message Edited by Morrolan V on 04-25-2005 04:34 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-diamondmage Guest

like morro said u get less riposte with a 2h than dual wielding but u also lose alot of stat bonus's. i dual wield all the time but thats just me. i'd rather have the stat bonus's (which usually reduce the riposte u take anyways) over the decreased chance of riposte. i like the cestii because they are 2.0 speed and leave me alot of room for haste buffs. i'd much rather come close to capping out speed than cap out speed and lose dps. just some things to think bout.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kibbster Guest

Dual weild does indeed hit more often which means you get hit more often with repostes.
    But as people have said you get better stats.
    I have just switched from the Starfall to Fist wraps at lvl 28, and although my damage output may be slightly lowr and I take more hits, I just love the "Martial arts" animations, ducking, doging, diving and jumping around :smileywink:
    So much more interesting than a 1h or 2H to watch.
    Sometimes she moves so fast she's just a blurred flurry of fists and bare feet, combined with the full "White Pj" AQ armour, so cool! :smileyvery-happy:
  7. ARCHIVED-mulerman Guest

Thanks all for the info - so it looks like I will need to pick up both
    - 2x wrapps/knuckles for when I am not tank or soloing easy mobs so I get higher DPS and better total combined stats
    - and a good 2hb for when I am tanking or soloing harder mobs in order to reduce repostes.

Cheers!