Would you take a cut in DPS if....?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Tinantier, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Tinantier Guest

Was grouping with some guildies last night, and doing my usual large amount of DPS :smileyvery-happy:

It occurred to me that I would happily take a cut in our DPS in return for more flexibility in the style of the EQ1 necro (yes I was one, yes I loved it) where we could do all sorts of things and were very flexible in our methods.

what do others think? Are you happy being a DPS class or would you prefer the old EQ1 flexible but deadly role?
  2. ARCHIVED-schrammy Guest

I have to say i have no clue what the eq1 necro was (never played it)
    But i am really happy with beeing a dps class right now. It beats beeing half of a dps class like before revamp :)
  3. ARCHIVED-edarkcloud Guest

Well I would, I specially would like evac and harmshields along with a direcharm but let's face it , won't happen lol.
    What about unresistable lifetaps? it just won't happen, however, we can dream.
  4. ARCHIVED-Amra-c0d Guest

I miss fear kiting for sure but I definately don't miss being a mana battery.
  5. ARCHIVED-Urbannaja Guest

No I wouldn't. Not counting the fact that NO CLASS in eq2 is anything like eq1, and the entire eq1 system is simply incompatable with eq2's.....

1) I feel we have pretty decent flexibility as it is (and yes, I was an eq1 necro as well).
    2) DPS will always be more needed than flexibility.
    3) The GREAT flexibility we'd need for compensation would be nerfed to hell if we ever got it (don't even dream about fear kiting lol)
    4) "Flexibility" seems to be very tough for the devs in EQ2 to implement effectively and balanced....I'd rather be a kick [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] DPS necro with the current flexibility we have, than have very little solo capabilty and be a buff bot (or worse...a mana battery....)

I suppose it would be better to know what you mean exactly by 'flexibility'....but almost none of the eq1 necro abilities would translate well to eq2...except possibly corpse summoning (which they tried and failed at implementing). I'm pretty [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] happy with our DPS/flexibility now compared to most other classes in the game. We might not have a ton of utility, but flexibility in combat, we have in spades. I can kill things by stun/root... root/rot... pet tank.... all out nuke.... group splitting (with FD or charm undeath)....or a combination. What other classes can boast that many techniques? I can also snare for 91%, fear, and fight underwater effectively.

If this was the chanter forum, I'd say "hell yea!! Give us more flexibility and less DPS!!" but it just isn't.....
  6. ARCHIVED-cainen76 Guest

Hiya guys my first post on this Forum, Cainen, Lvl %4 necro on Nek......

Played Eq1 as a necro as my only toon for bout 3-4 years on Tox, would i go back to what we were back then? NO WAY..... years of being a mana battery and ocassionally DMF'ing the whole raid wasnt my idea of fun in a way, im extremly happy with the added versitility weve been given EG 3 different pets, the ability to heal/transfer health to pets/friends. We still have snares and Fear we can get our pets to taunt and tank, Not to mention our Dots/Nukes are better DPS than ever for us.....DAM how much more do we want....im lovin EQ2 at where we are now.....WE ROCK....NO NERFS NO NERFS

Cainen, Lvl 54 Necromancer of Nektoulos
    Message Edited by cainen76 on 10-13-2005 07:07 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

Our flexibility is fine as it stands... the only thing that bugs me is with the way our utilities work out we don't augment groupmembers damage so we have higher parsed DPS than everyone else. Even though the damage contributed isn't always high as someone else that gives massive damageshields or proc spells, we turn into the new whipping boys of the nerfcallers.
    Our flexibility is great, I do exactly what I want to do in groups which is lots of pet damage. The conjurors have a bit less flexibility but more utility and they can keep it ;) (though I still think we should get a single target concentration buff).
  8. ARCHIVED-Amra-c0d Guest

I just remembered one thing that I would kill for from EQ1: Monk pets. There was nothing as cool as the jump kicking skeletons. Pre-luclin crappy models anyway.
  9. ARCHIVED-ironpanther095 Guest

idk about eq1 never played it but i did play eqoa and humm....yeah id trade just about anything for the devs too mess up like they did with necs on it...incase you dont know what that means heres the story...before the 60 cap /odus continent expansion we basically were the worst class in the game ...lame nukes lame life/pwr taps lame pets basically came down to if you were a nec you stood round all night beggin for a PL or group then expansion comes out and BOOOOM everyone is a nec they fumbled so bad and made necs gods(and never nerfed us afterward)decent nukes unresistable life/pwr taps that were non damaging with right gear 1/2 the old recast....and pets (bread and butter) pets got uber procs damage ..hp upgraded and 60 pet basically tanked better than a average 60 tank ...could equal if not surpass a 60 wizzy on damage ..went from soloin LBs and dien to solo farmin raid mobs...yeah id trade anything to have my brutal ...swarming death....back
  10. ARCHIVED-armus550 Guest

DPS cut? Dude we spent 10 months begging for DPS and we're certainly not over powered now. We went from 250 dps to 400-500 dps. Don't forget we still wear a paper armor. And as for me, I don't steal agro so I'm not doing so much that the tanks can't handle it. If you'd like to see someone steal agro, drop a 3,500 hp ice comet on it.
    I've heard rumors some were complaining about necros and after lobbying for 10 months to get us help, I'm not going to keep quiet when someone starts screaming nerf.
    Want proof? Try grouping with two wizards and a warlock. I get one to two spells off that do 340 damage (1 sec cast snare, dot with lich proc) before a white-con heroic dies. If I try to cast siphon, it's 90 percent dead before it goes off. And don't even bother on a grp of down-arrows. Warlock's AOE ruins that fast. Sourcers have high up-front damage but as always, necros win on long fights. Before DoF I could steal agro on a raid mob after a few minutes when all my dots and crap added up. Same situation.
  11. ARCHIVED-XBrit Guest

a 1900 hp Shadestrike from my scout pet will do the job sometimes too. Several tanks have told me they hate necro scout pets coz of that. Conjuror pets actually do more dps but it's steady so they rarely pull aggro.
  12. ARCHIVED-Nibblar Guest

like kitting a mob I assume?
    Maybe if we could snare kite or fear kite, BIG MAYBE!
    The EQ 1 necro allowed and sometimes required the use of several different tatics to kill a mob.
    I kind of like the dps and different play style of the EQ 2 necro, but then again I like the EQ 1 version also.

Right now Im happy with what we have as necros, but the game will evolve over time, will see.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zald Guest

Agree 1000% !!

EQ2 Necros are extremely fun and very flexible. We're a Jack of all trade master of death type class, and thats great!

Lets see..
    - We can root, stun, and fear for crowd control.
    - We heal groupmembers in a pinch
    - Our Tank pets can tank pretty nicely when needed
    - DPS... Got that covered
    - Supply mana when needed, but not to such an extent that we're earmarked for it in most situations.
    - We get FD as our get out of death free card
    - DPS... Oh did I mention that already?
    - We're self sufficient in the self healing and mana regen categories.

I mean daaaaaaamn, what else could ya ask for!?
  14. ARCHIVED-ZyNellan Guest

Define flexible please. Give us a better idea of what your talking about instead of assuming we've all played eq1

15. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

You're OBVIOUSLY referencing Kiting, which I never liked in EQ1, be it agro, reverse (fear), quad, ping-pong, or ANY other method you've seen/done (and I've done ALL those types on various EQ1 characters). I did it because it was SO much better than any other method, but it was NEVER fun. So if you want that back, I won't say what to do with your suggestion, as it'd get me suspended from the forums. Yes not very nice, but I feel THAT strongly about it.

And on the off-chance you're referencing other things, what exactly do you want back? Corpse summoning? Exactly how would that balance off a dps nerf? Mana battery? No thanks, I'm quite happy only summoning hearts every so often. Charm? Already have a pretty useless form of it. Enough for sympathy for Coercers, for whom it is a mainstay (kind of).

The only "other role" I can think of that might balance a DPS nerf is a drastic CC increase, but do we really need it? Root works quite well when people keep their hands off, as does fear. I don't think it's necessary to see a return of anything like Screaming Terror, and thus what's left?

I'm quite happy with our current state. Just enough "nerf" calls to know that we ARE powerful, but not enough (or with justification) to promote a widespread perception of overpowered (since we're NOT overpowered). And as others have said, we STILL have variability of what we do, and aren't just one-trick ponies.
  16. ARCHIVED-XBrit Guest

Well, I'd like to be able to summon a cute girl Templar as my personal healer. She'd be wearing this really skimpy... oh, never mind.