Would An Arcane Stat Buff Potion Do the Trick?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jowita, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Hi all,

My lovely level 17 ranger got her tush pounded last night by a green^^^ Timberclaw gnoll in Archer's Woods. She was holding her own until the gnoll started casting Smite for 150 a pop. Two Smites was all it took. Ranger down. :(

My ranger is well-equipped, and has very nice piercers and a nice bow, and good resists for her level. Would a different combination of my combat arts be sufficient to take on this mob? For instance, is there a combat art that helps interrupt mob casters? Should I be using Ensnare, Lunge, Trap?

Or what if I make a translucent Elixer of Comprehension to boost my arcane mitigation (magic, mental, divine)?

Here's the tactics I used last night: Back Shot-->Heated Shot-->Bleeding Cut-->Cheap Shot-->Sneak Attack-->Shadow Fire. Hunter's Instinct was up, poison (translucent Malignant Decay) was up, greater damage shield (translucent Concoction of Adventure) was up.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Jowita (Antonia Bayle)
    Message Edited by Flidias on 04-19-2006 10:19 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

The mitigation boost might help...but if it is still cons green, any ^^^ is going to put up one heck of a fight for any ranger. Especially where you stand right now...you havent really gotten all of your ranger ca's yet (if it still works that way...I think I may make another ranger to level through again).
    I say get a bit of help if you can...this is probably not the advice you are looking for...but likely the best that can be given....^^^'s will be too tough if they con to you.
    Perhaps I am wrong though...see what others say as well.
    Saihung
  3. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Well besides the "dont fight ^^^ they are not meant to be solo'd" line. i assume you are looking for advice. AS that level, I remember that you coudl often take on heroics. Just dont get too used to it.
    You might want to try and kite the mob if it is outdoors and adds are not a problem. Do you opening combo but make sure you snare it right before it gets to you. Then start back up while bow auto-attack is running. Hit your snare each time it comes up or root (not usre if you have one at that level).
    Cheap shot is an interrupt on casters so u can time cheap shot with their casting animation. You might want to try stun poisons as well. I dont use potions that much but they might help
  4. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

I think the timer on Cheap Shot is a bit too long to be viable for more than one casting interruption. I do like the kiting aspect, though. That area of Archer's Woods is fairly free of wandering vermin, so Heated Shot + repeated Ensnares would seem a likely combination, except for the fact that the gnoll will still be able to Smite me as I'm kiting him. At 150 a pop, he'll have me for lunch long before I've run out of arrows. :)
    This was just a chance encounter, mind you. I'm not in the habit of picking fights with heroic mobs. Knowing that the majority of you fine ranger folks have "been there, done that," I was curious to see if there was some tactic I wasn't aware of. I'm always looking for better ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Jowita (Antonia Bayle)

Message Edited by Flidias on 04-19-2006 11:06 AM