Would a Monk/swash be an ok duo?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-azger1, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-azger1 Guest

Just wondering My wife is set on Swash I'm kinda on the fence. I really like the monk so far. Do you think we could be ok for leveling up?
  2. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Betweent he two of you, you could probably keep the mobs stunned/stifled for almost the entire encounter. Not having anything but your self heal could hurt some, but it sounds like a fun duo - burn anything you fight down quickly and keep it chain stunned/stifled to minimize incoming damage.
    What other class were you considering?
  3. ARCHIVED-azger1 Guest

Dirge would be my other choice. Well Fury to but not sure I would like to heal.
  4. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Dirge or fury would increase your overall survivability quite a bit if you plan on taking on heroics as a duo. Cons would be: you'll have a lot less damage output with the dirge and be competing for most loot drops. If you ever play without yoru partner, soloing on a dirge can be a pretty painful process. The fury is a great option since it is the most offensive of the healers - you get great healing but do not give up much overall damage. Because it is so safe, it also has been done a lot and might get boring. In addition, if you are not excited about playing a healer, then the overall fun factor is greatly reduced. You should be able to make monk/swash work pretty well. You just might have to wait til heroics are blue con before you can safely duo them. I duoed 1-60 with my girlfriend - she played a warlock and I played a monk. That was a combination that was definitely unfavorable, but we still had a blast doing it. Both of you just have to be adaptable and work out a hybrid strategy that plays to both of your strengths :)
  5. ARCHIVED-azger1 Guest

Awsome. Thanks for the replys. I might just go with the fury and go all out damage :) Or maybe a pally. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Fury, paladin, or shadowknight (pain at the very low levels due to different home cities, but no difference past 20) would make a very potent duo with a swashbuckler. With all the different directions you can go with AAs, you can really mold a class to fit the roll you want to a large degree. You can make it work with any class since the swash can be the tank if you do not choose a fighter.
  7. ARCHIVED-Anjin Guest

I have a dirge on another account and I just set him on follow and have a great time bashing everything to bits. The only problem is if the dirge wan't to be more active (i.e. being played by another player) the debuffs are focussed towards disease damage, so it's not going to help a monk/swashie (an SK definately!). The dirge does a fair amount of disease damage so it's not the end of the world though.
    Basically the dirge is going to over the monk (and swashie) the following:
    • Faster run speed (ooc)
    • Extra crushing, piercing & slashing
    • Increased STR & AGI
    • Increased PARRY
    • Increased DPS
    • Increased incombat power regen
    So pretty amazing for a monk or swashie!
    A fury will offer the monk/swashie the following:
    • Heals!
    • Faster run speed (ooc)
    • Increased mitigation
    • Noxious & Trauma cures
    • Passive damage (Bristle line)
    • Increased elemental resist & health
    • Increased INT and WIS
    Also a fury does some pretty decent DPS.
    Overall, I would go for the dirge as you'll have more of a blast and it'll be a lot easier for you to recruit a healer/tank into your group rather than a dirge.

Message Edited by Herbster on 01-11-2007 10:07 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Xerxess Guest

I 3 box a Warden/Monk/Swash and I find take down mobs in no time, have very little downtime...though If I were to duo I would do it with a druid...DPS is nice but if the mob over powers you, you will want a healer backup...