Wizzy - Temp Buffs and CA Question

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Kaldon, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Kaldon New Member

Hi Guys

Temp Buffs

I'm only level 68 wizzy and I'm looking for a quick bit of feedback in how your managing the temp buffs we get, for example:
    Spellbind
    Freehand sorcery
    Firey blast
    Surge of Ro
    Frigid gift
    Protoflame

I'm trying to cast these before I get blasting away but I find by the time I've cast most of them, there is little time left to squeeze in the damage spells like ice comet. As high level wizzy's are you macroing these together? just looking for how you balance these 10 sec buffs.

Random Spell's
    Another random question the abilities, harvest mana, Auroa, ceast - have you found a good use for them? I'm not seeing the huge benefit from them on my hot bars, just want to check if I've missed something with these.

AA Spell Hail Storm
    The spell hail storm in the shadow tree, as it took a lot of AA points to get it, in a simple way I thought this would be a massive hitter. However I am starting to use ACT to review which spells are hitting/damaging etc and I've noticed that this is quite poor dps. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong as surely for the AA required to get it, it must be a great spell. I still see fireball and thunderclap doing some of the most damage.

AOE Spells

As a general rule of thumb in groups, I cast storm of lightening and glacial wind, hail storm to get the dmg over time going, then casting fusion, firestorm and blast of devastation. I tend not to cast, numbing cold and ring of ice and rooting generally isn't helping much. Do you find at higher level with possibly faster casting times you can cycle through all the aoe's in reasonable time?. I find the cast times seem quite long and challenging to get all the spells unloaded - or maybe that's not the idea, should I be more selective?.

AA - Fireshape/Iceshape

Spells such as ice comet, hail storm and frozen rain (don't have yet) are all powerful and also ice spells, if I select both fire and iceshape, then am I right in thinking all spells are both converted into both fire and ice together to benefit from surge of ro for example?. I realise I'm maybe going to get flamed but I struggle to see why we have both options and why we wouldn't simply pick both of these abilities?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Zal
  2. Syota New Member

I'm definitely not the expert, but just my 2 cents
    Surge of Ro, then Frigid gift I use prepull. There are AA options to extend the duration of frigid gift.
    I will use spellbind and freehand sorcery when I've got a good chain coming up or with FB rotation. FB isn't worth throwing up if your soloing and your mob will die before it expires. It's a waste. FB is really only good if your mob will be up long enough to receive the end damage from it.

IMO - waste of aa.

You will really only see the benefits with group of mobs that live long enough to receive the end damage.

I use glacial wind and storm of lightening selectively. It's not something I keep in a normal rotation. I believe some wizzy's do, but I'm very selective when I use it. End game being what it is, most everything dies so fast that by the time you get the spell cast, everything is half dead or already dead. In Raids, I will use it on large encounter mobs, but again, not a regular spell in my rotation. I don't even have numbing cold and ring of ice on my hotbars anymore.