Wizard

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Leloes, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm currently play a wizard level 22. Can anyone give me some advice on how to better play him without a healer?
    suka likes this.
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Manually spend your AA points, go for the mitigation and regen wards from Sorcerer tree and dragon tree. Upgrade your root spell, buy totems of the succulent from the broker, do quests to keep up with gear.
    suka likes this.
  3. Naneeje Well-Known Member

^^^ Most importantly, upgrade your root spells, this way you can stay distance from the mob and kill him before he get's close enough to hit you. I would add that they did give us Mercenaries to make soloing much easier. It's really a good way to quest.
    Jeeshman and suka like this.
  4. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

Hire a merc and have him solo you up to 95. You don't even have to cast spells.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

Hire mercs, do quests, keep up spells......where do I find mercs and how much do they cost?
  6. Tyman Active Member

Mercs cost $15-20 I think to buy access to use them. Then they are a trivial amount of plat to hire and use them ingame.
  7. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

You need to make sure you have purchased the ability to hire mercs through the Marketplace. Afterwards, mercs can be hired in all the major cities, elite mercs are found in overland zones / dungeon drops, and special mercs have come with expansion packs.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

No problem. I can hire mercs.
  9. Entropy Well-Known Member

If you have the CE version of newest xpac, the defiler merc that comes with it is pretty beast.
  10. Leloes Well-Known Member

Don't have the money to buy it yet. Hope to soon.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

like i told you earlier, go to Qeynos, buy the templar. really good for a beginner. at your level you would have a hard time hiring the inquisitor Stamper in freeport but i can take you there if you prefer. he is really easy to get to, i will just have to kill any guards that bug you

but only when you are ready. i won't push you. however, doing the quests in qeynos is an excellent way to practice playing without a merc. no mercs are allowed in the instances
  12. suka Well-Known Member

kk guys, you are getting sidetracked here. Leloes knows about mercs. we have been talking about them for days. the first answer was excellent and right on target. he wants to know what he has to do to fight solo. without a merc. he knows he can get a merc, but he wants to survive without one.
  13. suka Well-Known Member

excellent answer. forget the broker. he doesn't have money. i will make your totems. in fact there are some at Jfai's Jump training for anyone in the guild.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

i like this answer too. it is important for him to know things about rooting and using wizard pets and about their little buffs. and he needs to know to follow Solusk Ro and get his quest from the diety guy in Butcherblock.

rooting is a good thing to get to understand. if you are not a strong player before hiring a merc, you will be a weaker one after hiring. he doesn't want to be weak, he wants to build a strong player. getting input from the forums gives him more than one person's perspective. i would tell a new player about the mercs, but i would never discourage them from making their character strong and learning their class before getting one.
  15. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Money for the optimal solo stuff like totem of the succulent and adornments of mending can easily be made from farming fertlized treasures in the ruins, lots of weak Orcs there who drops them pretty frequently, very new player friendly way to get money for stuff that will make life in norrath easier. Also the new lvl 100 33min food and drink scale very well and will provide a massive boost if he can get that in some way.

As for root spells, its a good tool yeah. But nowadays I don't even keep root spells on hotbars on my sorcs, even when lvling up. Wizards can be made extremely durable at lower lvls with AA, mitigation, dmg reduction and regen wards coupled with totem of the succulent is all he needs to be "godish" at current lvls. I remember back when PoF launched when root spells mattered, my wiz was the only toon in guild soloing nameds in clefts of rujark by rotating roots snares stuns and nukes. Then roots was nerfed.

With that said, I cleared FG solo on a warlock starting at 23 at the top, mercless, 6months ago (with enough AA). Using totem of succelent and adorn of mending. In your face tanking style :)

So start by getting those things and things will get a lot easier.
    suka likes this.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

awesome. i was trying to remember ways to tell him on how to make money too.

just remembered though, i save all of my fertilizer, water, and soils because i give them to the gardener in the guild hall. she gives me shinies. if non of my toons need them, i can then sell them for personal status in the guild hall.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

Thank you to each of you for your help.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  18. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Np bud, GL!