Wizard Rotation

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Satarie, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Satarie Member

I was wondering if I could get some advice on the Rotation for a Wiz around lvl 30 and up, and what buffs I would have would be useful for the group and soloing. I'm not clear on some of the buffs I have right now if I should take the time to use them in soloing or group, Most seem to be so limited in it time use that I should take away from casting dmg spells to cast one of them. I'm playing on the Fallen Gate server, Ice shield and Converg, Harvest Mana. and order best used to cast for Dmg and buffs. Any advice would be great and thank you for any advice.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Okies. Look at each spell and note what it does. I'll list just what you have at level 30,and I have no idea what you have in the way of AA spells, so I won't discuss those.
    • Wizzies get a handful of control spells, that do things like mez, stifle, stun, or root a mob. Group these together on your hotbar:
      • Aurora - mez + root
      • Magma Chamber III - DD + Stun
      • Shackle II - root
    • Next group are direct damage, and direct damage that has a DOT component. Group those together on your hotbar:
      • Ball of Fire - DD
      • Firestorm II - DD
      • Ice Spears III - DD + elemental debuff
      • Immolation II - DD + DOT
      • Incinerate III - DD + DOT
      • Master's Strike - DD
      • Solar Flare V - DD
      • Glacial Wind - Group AOE DD + DOT
      • Storm of Lightning II - Group AOE DD + DOT
    • Third group are buffs and reactives, those group together somewhere on your hotbar:
      • Converge - threat transfer, place on a fighter
      • Magi's Shielding - Buffs Health + Defense + Focus
      • Fortify Elements II - Group Buff adds power, elemental mitigation
      • Tyrant's Pact II - Group Buff adds STR, INT
      • Ro's Blade II - Short term buff for one person in group, adds a little damage
      • Iceshield - Short term buff on one group member, damage shield
    • Fourth group are dehate spells, things that lower the mob's aggression towards you. Group those together:
      • Cease II - threat decrease + interrupt + stifle
      • Concussive - AOE dehate + interrupt
    • Last group are assorted utility and special use spells:
      • Absorb Magic - used to debuff certain mobs
      • Cure Arcane - cures the target of arcane DOTs
      • Summon Shadows - makes the target invisible
      • Singular Focus - used to prevent you from doing AOE damage, sometimes you want to very precisely hit only ONE mob
      • Harvest Mana - converts some of your health into power and stifles you
      • Vital Transfer II - converts some of your health into power
      • Portal - self evac
      • Translocate - transport using wizard spires
      • See Invisibility - exactly what it says
      • Snow-filled Steps - See Invis + clear water vision
      • Bind Sight - I have no idea what you'd do with this
    I'd also suggest that if you don't already have Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT) that you install it. I usually set up a guild hall Epic training dummy, set it to immortal, then blast it a dozen times with each spell. I described how to use this as a basis for a cast order elsewhere.

You can also open your Knowledge Book, right click and Examine each spell, then use the numbers from there to calculate DPS and cast order. I described how to use this method of determining cast order in another post as well.
    Eeri and santargria like this.
  3. Melt Actually plays the game

On fallen gate it's a lot easier than live... glacial wind if its a linked encounter. If not, rotate single target spells minus solar flare. Lead with ice spears and get immolation/incenerate ticking. Then rotate between them and ball of fire, firestorm, dots. Keep DOTs maintained and rolling and you should be good. Iceshield on tank anytime it's up. Not as relevant now, but once AAs are introduced you can give it 10% block chance.
  4. Satarie Member

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to use at least the Ice Shield. I'll get them set up better on my hot bars so it might be easier to use each. Also I have tried using the Mez spell and all it seems to do is bring the extra so I haven't used it much.. I try to root as much as I can if I get extras. Thanks again
  5. SacDaddy420 Active Member

Unless things have changed ros blade is permanent, gives the recipient a proc called flametongue that never really added up to anything good, and was usually maintainable on 2 to 3 of your groupmates (and of course yourself).

Bind sight froze you and gave you a first person view of whoever you cast it on. It was only for messing around.

Ice spears was also a small dot, and firestorm is a blue out of encounter aoe.

When you use aurora, if the mob is part of an encounter the others will always come running. If it's single but something procs it will break mez

One of the most important spells a wizard can use of he knows what he's doing is numbing cold. Think it was a lvl 50 spell, but maybe it was earlier. Splitpaw? I don't remember. But anyway once you do get it spend some time and figure out how it works. For soloing and sometimes heroics its godtier.
  6. Vunder Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever cast numbing cold. I assume it is used on the time lock servers alot??
  7. Alexstrasza Active Member

I used the hell out of it in pvp.