Wind Walk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-kcirrot, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

Wind Walk is an invisibility art. OK, I get that. But help me out folks. Does Wind Walk drain power so long as it's on? Is it more than out of combat power recovery? Does it have a time limit or is it limited by its endurance cost?
  2. ARCHIVED-Woodpile Guest

It drains power rather fast. The few times ive used it I would say it would last maybe 15 seconds before I was fully drained. I dont remember having a reuse timer though. Course at that point it wouldnt mater because you are already out of power.
  3. ARCHIVED-Karamonde Guest

wind walk is wonderfull, it really drain power yes, but with a Totem and some drink you are really fine
  4. ARCHIVED-Kainsei Guest

Wind walk is handy sometimes but....

Why would you bother buying a totem and drink for mana regen when you can just lvl up to 30 and buy a chameleon totem which do the same thing, lasts for 15 min and costs no power at all. :smileyhappy:
    Wind walk is nice, but most of the time, train+feign death or totems are better.
  5. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

Thanks for the help guys. So it's more of an emergency invis; totems gone, naughty mob up ahead, don't want to train the whole dungeon, etc.?
  6. ARCHIVED-IrulanDunedancer Guest

*shrug* At 54 with lvl 60 drink and the higher level improved power regen trait (the second time you get an option for max hp/max pow/hp regen/pow regen as a trait), I can have Wind Walk up for a pretty respectable amount of time at a stretch (especially for someone used to random duration invis from EQ1 :smileytongue: ). I think it *might* be as much as a couple of minutes, been a while since I really tried seeing how long I could keep it going before I run out of juice.
  7. ARCHIVED-Crashhn Guest

Hmm, when in the 50s in the Living Tombs for Peacock quests, using drink and mana regen totems, I could invis for a long time. I don't remeber how long, but I'm pretty sure it was 5+ minutes. More than enough time to do whatever I needed.
    The reason I like this over chameleon totems is simple. Unless things have changed, a mob seeing through your chameleon totem invis meant you had to re-use the totem... The invis enchantment was removed.
    With Wind Walk and a mana totem, I just had to FD or kill the mob, and use wind walk again. The mana regen enchantment did not get removed, only disabled while in combat.
  8. ARCHIVED-Supple Guest

Wind Walk does have a feature that no other invis has. It instantly cloaks you. If you drop it, you have only to wait 2 seconds before it instantly goes back up. That's the fastest invis in the game. Since youre a monk, you prolly only need a short duration invis since you're likely training a lot. I find it to be fan-freakin-tastic, along with everything else that's monkish (well, except for that pesky mit thing).
  9. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

I prefer using windwalk to wasting totems. If something breaks my invis with windwalk, all i need to do is move away from it, feign, stand up, and recloak. Burning totem charges annoys me.
  10. ARCHIVED-Microphage Guest

I have never been able to get my recovery rate to match the drain from windwalk, I can't swear that it is impossible, but I've never managed it. If I need to be invisible for an extended period, I just use a chameleon totem.
    Edit - As others have said, windwalk is good for general sneaking around stuff. When solo as a monk I just train/fd to get where I'm going. Invis totems are handy when following someone else around, you never know how long they want to be invis. Heck, i've even been in groups where we've gone invis and taken a 5 min bio-break surrounded by mobs.
    Message Edited by Microphage on 08-31-2006 11:42 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Gustuv Wynd Guest

In the lower to mid 30's, with only a good drink and no totem, i can wind walk from the entrance of RoV to the bottom and have about 1/3 power remaining when I get to where I was trying to go. I honestly think it lasts as long as it needs too. Even if my Wizards Invis used power to maintain it...I would probally be ready to cancel it in most cases well before the power ran out. The same is true for my Monk. I've never came out of wind walk due to running out of power.

I've always kinda wished we had a surprise attack CA similar to a rogue. We are sort of a Fighter/Rogue hydrid...
    Message Edited by Gustuv Wynd on 08-31-2006 06:52 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Kronadin Guest

I do the very same thing. :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Spidubic Guest

I love Wind Walk. I use a Power regen totem and rarely need to worry about running out of power. What I have discovered and need to get some input on is that as you level the power requirement seems to go up. So when I start out I can use the totem and Wind Walk forever. But at each successive level power seems to drop faster. Has anyone else noticed this?
  14. ARCHIVED-Crashhn Guest

Wind Walk uses a percentage of your power each time it ticks. So the more power you have, the harder it is for your regen to keep up. To get the most effecient use of Wind Walk, you could remove any items that give you power or STR boosts. Of course if Wind Walk breaks you'd be less prepared for battle.

Your power is not dropping faster percentage-wise, but your regen has not increased enough to keep up.
  15. ARCHIVED-Perfidious1 Guest

I trained all the way down from the zone in in temple of scale and zoned into the harla instance without invis and no deaths. who needs invis?
  16. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

Windwalk is not supposed to be "perma" invisibility like scouts, so I feel it is quite understanble it drains power. So best is to use in short terms to by pass mobs, regen and continue to do so...
  17. ARCHIVED-Keshaan Guest

In my 70 lvls of being a monk I have used it maybe 20 times. Now that I'm lvl 70 I never use it anymore. It's a bit more useful in the lower lvls when the succes rate of FD isnt so high, but now I dont see the point in using it anymore. It's so much easier to just train and FD. Then you dont have to worry about power and see invis mobs, which there a lot of at least at lvl 70. Train and FD can also be used to get your groupmates deep into dungeons fast and makes us the most effective harvester.
    Message Edited by Keshaan on 09-07-2006 01:07 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-Perfidious1 Guest

yup, I train people down to the forge in SoS all the time. and also train people up to the second floor in AoAx4 if the raid should totally wipe or summat