will Windows 11....

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kotter, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Kotter Legendary Member

force an EQ2 reinstall?

if so, is there a way i can keep the spells on my hotbars?
  2. Obano Well-Known Member

Not sure about Windows 11 but you can save your hotkeys to a file and then reload them after your reinstall.

The commands are:

/savehotkeys <name>
    /loadhotkeys <name>
    Hartsmith likes this.
  3. jbc1948 Well-Known Member

Since Windows 11 isn't even ready seems it would be tough to know what it would do. Personally I wouldn't even bother with 11 until/if I got it as a preload for a new computer. Then of course you would need to install EQ2.
    Lateana and Hartsmith like this.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

You don't ever need to reinstall EQ2, just copy the file folder to a new machine. I haven't installed since 2004 from the CD.
    Lateana and Pixistik like this.
  5. Svenone Well-Known Member

What I heard was that Windows 11 is going to drop 32-bit support entirely. Maybe there will be a way to still run "legacy" apps, but it sounds like native 32-bit support is going the way of the Dodo (like 16-bit did years ago). Maybe a virtual machine will be required? Or, you know, we just stick with Windows 10, which should still be supported for a few more years (I heard until 2025). 32-bit has been around since the 386, so it is a bit long in the tooth as far as technology goes.
  6. Melkior Well-Known Member

Hotkeys are stored Server side not client side. What is on the client side is the layout of the hotbars. As for reinstallation, to the best of my knowledge, the game doesn't really install the way some programs do. It doesn't modify the registry, just puts the files it needs in the right places for the executable to access. That's why you can just copy the folder to a new computer and have everything work correctly. What I don't know is whether EQ2 accesses any Windows functions that are getting a change in Windows 11. If that's the case the client would need to be updated to detect the version of Windows, and ensure the proper interface with those functions.
  7. EnvironmentalHazard New Member

Windows 11 will only install on a 64-bit PC. It will still support 64- and 32-bit software, including EQ2, just like Windows 10 does currently.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

And install only on certain CPUs.

And you have to log into a MS account, in order to log into your home computer.
  9. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see that (MS account) requirement get dropped before launch.

I mean really, are folks actually worried about this? The Windows 11 announcement was literally like a week ago, and there's months before the official release date. It'd probably be a more productive use of your time to submit bug reports and mine for info on the next expansion then to pontificate on how it will or won't impact a 20-year old game that has a boatload of other, more pressing issues.

Just count yourselves lucky that Microsoft hasn't done like Apple for the past 20 years and periodically stopped supporting older Mac devices when updating MacOS.
  10. Taled Well-Known Member

I'd be less worried about the lack of 32 bit support and more worried about potential lack of support for DX9, personally.
    Wulfgyr likes this.
  11. Bludd Well-Known Member

lack of 32 bit support is only for a 32 bit only os. 64 bit os can run 32 bit software no problem, if you are on 64 bit windows 10 you are using 32 bit software right now most likely

what you lose is 16 bit compatibility with a 64 bit os
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

If it doesn't I can see a fair amount of 'goodbye M$. hello Linux' going on. I'm pretty tired of M$ trying to run my life for me.
    Jaden likes this.
  13. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

That may be true and an option for some folks, especially those with a good understanding of privacy concerns. By the way, did you know Microsoft is a platinum member of the Linux Foundation? o_O You can also use Powershell on Linux (and Mac), and even install a Linux subsystem distro on Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10. Needless to say, this is not the Microsoft of old. Note: I am still running FireFox as my daily browser, because of all the previous issues and concerns I had with IE. I don't mind Edge, just haven't messed around with it enough to get used to Chromium-based browsers. For those that know how to navigate a CLI, or change between Gnome & KDE desktops, etc - Linux wouldn't be much of a stretch (if they aren't running it already). I *think* EQ2 will run on Linux as long as Wine and the requisite audio/video drivers are installed, but haven't personally tried to.

But let's be honest: A decent chunk of the folks hollering about "Why do I need a Microsoft account to use Windows?!" are walking around with a smartphone in their pocket that tracks them in countless more ways than Windows. Let alone the ones that have wide-open Facebook/Twitter/Insta-snap-chat-gram/whatever other social media accounts. The Oculus 2 VR headset requires a Facebook account - well, you can buy one without that requirement, but it's aimed more at businesses and costs $500 more... plus a $180 annual fee. (Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-will...-doesnt-need-facebook-for-an-extra-dollar500/ )

*shrug* But that's just me. I can still remember the furor when the original Xbox One launched, from gamers that decried the digital license and download feature. Especially from those that traded in used games at Gamestop, etc. Fast forward a few years, and now we have consoles that don't even have optical drives. Huh. If having a MSFT account to log into a MSFT product/service is the hill that some folks want to die on, more power to 'em. I just think it'll all be pretty silly when we look back on it in a few years.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Anytime MS tries to get me to do things that are completely unnecessary in order to log into my own computer, they screwed up.

I've worked with other OSes than just Windows and Linux.
    Tkia likes this.
  15. Dockter Well-Known Member

Windows 11, Microsoft's attempt at Windows 8, version 2.
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

If I am wrong about Windows 11 going 64-bit only, great, I would be happy to be wrong about that.
  17. EnvironmentalHazard New Member

At this moment that's only supposed to be for the Home version. If you use Win 11 Pro on your home machine you will still be able to do an offline/no-account install. Unless that changes. It probably won't.

But rejoice, the Start menu is now "cloud powered" (i.e. more telemetry) and defaults to the center of the screen instead of on the left!
  18. EnvironmentalHazard New Member

I also seem to remember MS initially required the XBox to stay online continuously, but that got nixed after significant uproar. Gamers with a Kinect were getting creeped out.
  19. Beee Well-Known Member

Only if you make a fresh Win11 installation ;)
    Kotter likes this.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I typically get the Home version. It's a nonsense requirement. I doubt very much I'll upgrade to 11. It is like MS wants everyone to abandon Windows.