Will we ever get rid of necromantic spiders?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

Will we ever get rid of necromantic spiders? Spiders aren't necromatic at all. Somehow they maybe would fit to warlocks (even such as the necro level 1 bat).
    There is so much undead stuff in the game. Skeletons, zombies, mummies and ghosts of many kinds and races.
    Btw, couriously there does not seem to be a game where the designers -or the designer/s responsible for- are afraid of spiders.
    But in fact, remove all that un-necromantic stuff from necromancers such as gargoyles, void beasts and esp. spiders and give them skeletons, zombies, mummies, ghosts. Even the level 23 zombie (or whatever is the necromancer's first undead minion) fits so much better than that ugly and unfitting T8 spider. Since it is the mage pet, it is the pet seen mostly with T8 necromancers. A necromancer has no other 'choice', so to speak.
    Suggestion:
    Make three standard pets, such as a armored skeleton as tank, a zombie as mage and something I can't think of now as a scout minion (maybe that shadow hunter). Those standard minions and their upgrades look all the same from level 1 to cap. Therefore add a variety of UNDEADISH illusions that can be casted on the minions only; the number of minion-illusions increases by level.
  2. ARCHIVED-Aurelis Guest

Vampires as well. They are undead, not dead. The purpose of necromancy is to take the dead and make it undead -- someone already got to them before we could.
    Personally -- this will never happen, I know -- I would rather do away with permanent pets and instead use the corpses of enemies. Sort of like the coercer's possess essence, except "Reanimate," and it would give it some kind of green light glow, like the puffs of green deadly stuff that comes off the frogloks in Sebilis. So then it'd become "Aurelis's reanimated servant." Also similar to our Control Undead spell, except it'd truly become our pet, not a temporary "charm." And we could name it. I would be extremely /emo if I could not name my pet that I gave life.
    I also wish our AA were more pet-focused. I picked a pet class to have a pet. I don't need fancy ribbons of this or that ability -- I personally would be just tickled for straight-up pet boosts. Increase to their health, power, defense, avoidance, melee crit, spell crit, reuse, casting, and so on and so forth, bumping their stats that way. Perhaps the fancy ribbons could be adding a ward, or a lifetap proc, or something.
    Mobs have designations as mages / healers / tanks / scouts, right? That aura vision that erudites have (had? did they lose that?) to see the glow? Or was that an old system no longer in use? If it's still in use, then it could give them the basic archetype abilities our pets get now, plus AA abilities. Basically just steal their appearance. Something more dynamic and really necromantic-feeling.
    I know some necromancers play their class like a wizard and would be very sad to not be able to bump themselves, but honestly, that is how I wish our class were. Not "evil," no vampires or werewolves (blighted horde) or spiders. But truly those who resurrect the dead and bend them to our will.
    *drools at the far-off, impossible dream*
  3. ARCHIVED-FireDragon Guest

I personally would prefer it if Necromancers unlocked pet models as abilities as they leveled and gained upgrades of existing spells.
    The tech for changing pets is there in the petramorph wands.
    Just give them the model set abilities as they gain access to the models in different pets.
    Would be nice if Necro's could just choose the pet model that is fitting for their character. Different Necromancers have different focuses.

Same for the skeleton forms, perhaps the same could be done there.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

I'd also like to see leveling up unlock different looks ,and you can choose which one to apply. Personally, I like my spider pet (and the gargoyle, and the vampire.. :p), seems like with that method pretty much everyone wins because they can choose whatever look they like the best.

My conjuror would be happy to see such a change, as well.. she left her favorite fire pet behind, what, 30 or 40 levels ago? :/
  5. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

there are some very necromantic reasons for several of the pets you find 'un-necroish'.
    Gargoyles - do Crypt of Valdoon, and watch how those gargoyles are animated. they rip the soul out of the ether/the living, and implant it in the stone 'casing'.
    the Void beast...I believe your reffering to the shadowy stalker lamia type. the void steals/distorts souls for fuel (you learn this in several quests in OoB, TOoLS)...your simly ripping them from the void rather then from an afterlife.
    the Drachnid - Look at how they were made. their creation is based on necromancy. they are a necromantic construct akin to a flesh golem. a giant spider fused to a dark elf. the lower torso of the elf removed, and the spiders head removed.

See, necromantic creatures that aren't just skeletons, zombies, and ghosts. as to vampire pets...vampires are the epitome of undead grace, power, and deadly intent. But, the only way to create a vampire is to be one and turn someone...however necromancy is not just about the creation of undead from corpses...but the domination of undead already existing. that goes hand in hand with creating them, you have to be able to control them. bending a vampire to your will is probably a considerable feat of power.
  6. ARCHIVED-Buneary Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    NUH-UH!
    gargoyle : is basically a stone statue animated. there is nothing necromantic/undead about that!

drachnid : a spider/elf hybrid, a new "species". its not really necromantic/undead, more like a creation of mad science. by your logic, skorpikis should be necromancer pets too.

void beast : not even close to anything undead. more like aliens/demons!

I really hope that in T9 Necromancers get pet graphics that are benefiting!
    I really love the current T8 Undead Knight (Master) and would be really disappointed if they give us something lousy like the dumb drachnids, vamps and aliens...
    I prob would loose interest in my Necromancer then... :(
    ACTUAL UNDEAD PETS PLEASE!
  7. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

Volkner@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    gargoyles: they were animated and powered useing souls. sounds necromatic
    drachnids: the fusion techniqe was necromatic. same as sarnak and skorpikis
    and if void beasts are aliens then conjoures have nothing but aliens as pets. elementals are from another plane as well.
  8. ARCHIVED-Buneary Guest

shadowscale wrote:
    all I want is for Necromancer's pets to stay within what their class is supposed to be! no more summoning vampires, drachnids, shadows, lamias, etc... thats more for a Conjuror/Warlock...
    @Aurelis's idea:
    getting to raise a minion from a corpse and keep it permantly until you release it would be an awesome idea! it would let Necromancers all have different pets based on their own preferance! it is kinda silly the way it is now with all summoners using the same exact pets... but I guess thats just the way the game mechanics are for now!
  9. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

Volkner@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    thats just the thing thogh. there is more to it then just death and dead things. the soul fusion technices to make the new races was still necromatic in nature.
    and necromancers can enslave souls to do their bidding if they are strong enogh. hence the soul powered constructs.
    i do like that animate a corpse of choice as a pet idea thogh
  10. ARCHIVED-Aurelis Guest

Point -- The whole soul thing... doesn't fit in the realm of necromancy but necyomancy. Necyomancy is divination via souls (usually condemned ones at that).
    Counterpoint1 -- psychomancy, divination/communication with souls and spirits, is considered synonymous with necromancy.
    Counterpoint2 -- This is the world of EQ2 and does not have to abide by RL points/counterpoints.
    I'm so good at tearing myself down... *cries*