Will there ever be an Assist Target command for pets?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Suraklin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Suraklin Guest

I don't group a whole lot because of hours I work and the fact I have to afk alot. It sure would be nice if our pets got an assist target command though for when I do group. Having the pet run back to me and having to send him back to the next target gets really really old over hours of grouping. It shouldn't be that hard to make the pet command I wouldn't think. So come on devs do it please.

*wonder how long it'll take Magus` to post something.*
  2. ARCHIVED-sunmagic Guest

I would have to agree. That would be a nice feature. What I have found is if the MT can target fast enough the
    pet stays on target and with the group. But if the MT does not target fast enough the pet will return and you have to
    re-engage him. It's an annoyance I've delt with but sure would be nice so I don't have to micro manage him.
  3. ARCHIVED-urgatorbait Guest

/agree wholeheartedly!
  4. ARCHIVED-Tharangus Guest

One thing that I usually do in groups is I park my assassin pet in melee range with the "stay" command. That way the pet isn't always running back to me. One thing that always caused me grief was whenever the MT would change targets to maintain agro but then I would neglect to retarget my pet to the new target. So to compensate I find myself spamming the sic command. I really don't mind micro-managing the pet so much, but an assist command of some sort would be beneficial with respect to this aspect of gameplay.
    This is a subtle thing that many summoner types neglect and therefore cause the false preception that we are agro magnets. Not true. We generate as much agro as any other dps class, but the tools we have at our disposal to manage it and to prevent us from crossing the line are limitted. I think this would be beneficial in this respect.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zerebro Guest

Is it possible to use a command like:
    /pet attack <selected target>

It's merely a replacement for clicking on the attack button and using it for a macro, but still, easier when you've selected the MT.
  6. ARCHIVED-Eirgorn Guest

You can do
    /target Maintanksnamehere
    /pet attack

or
    /assist Maintanksnamehere
    /pet attack

I have an assist hotkey made right next to my pet attack hotkey and just cycle those, and when a mob is almost dead I usually tab to the next in the encounter and send my pet on it for a few secs till the MT chooses his next target.
    Message Edited by Eirgorn on 02-28-200611:24 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Zerebro Guest

Aah, indeed. There are several macro's to be made. Thanks for these suggestions :)

PS: I hope there won't be an auto-assist attack, we don't want bots/idle/afk people in the group, do we? :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Uanelven Guest

Lots to go wrong when you start giving a pet a brain and you know how people love to blame pets for things. Perhaps in the right setting but if I were to just spam pet attack implied through MT(basically the same) it would cause me grief in lots of situations.
  9. ARCHIVED-Tharangus Guest

Right... because the MT may not have settled on a target, for various reasons. Don't want to smack something with Shadestrike that hasn't been taunted. Altough it may be beneficial if you have a MA.
    Message Edited by Tharangus on 03-01-200609:44 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-Bexylady Guest

Yeah, I have horrible visions of my pet running off to agro a mob all by its lonesome because the tank is tabbing through targets.

I really hate it when the tank does that. Screws up dumbfire pets too. Soooo annoying.
  11. ARCHIVED-sunmagic Guest

I sent my pet into combat one time when the tank was deciding which one to attack. Never going to make
    that same mistake again being mouse button happy. Didn't end so well for me. DIED! lol... I now wait for
    the tank to engage before sending pet on. Just the things you learn about your class after makning those
    kind of mistakes.
  12. ARCHIVED-Usildor Guest

Just a suggestion. I don't like combining the assist and pet attack commands in one macro because I haven't figured out a way to put a delay between the two. So what can happen is the pet goes in on the wrong target or you have to hit it twice because the assist doesnt take effect fast enough. So I use two macros:
    /assist Tankname
    /pet attack

Seperate macros. Hotbar 1 and 2. It also helps that I use a NOSTROMO. If you don't have one and can, get one. It makes gaming wonderful. You can program its buttons to anything you want, including custom macros.
  13. ARCHIVED-Spockmaster Guest

what i do is keep the MT perma-targeted, and just click pet attack when he has agro, and the pet will attack the mob he has targeted through the implied target system. assist isnt necessary anymore with that system.
  14. ARCHIVED-Tharangus Guest

Right and that is what most of us are doing these days... we just have to be careful that we don't have our pet do a Leeroy when the MT is tabbing around.
  15. ARCHIVED-sunmagic Guest

I always keep MT targeted...But when you make a mistake and send in pet before MTs ready that's
    a real problem...Then everyone has to fight before being ready. Of course when pet dies target comes after
    me and then I die...lol
  16. ARCHIVED-Spockmaster Guest

almost never happens to me, i usually dont send the pet in right away. only times i get agro and die is if i have my grim spellbinder out as opposed to my adherent, and it decides to off-tank a mob on its own...
  17. ARCHIVED-KBern Guest

Well I think they broke tab again.

Tab was fixed to tab within an encounter when engaged, but now it seems to tab outside the encounter again.
  18. ARCHIVED-Eirgorn Guest

I reset my toggle targets keys to N and M, so not sure which one correlates to TAB, but my N key seems to just cycle the engaged encounter, while my M key cycles everything in view.
    Either way I usually dont cast on anything I cycle to unless it has a group member targetted in the targets' target window (phew - hope that made sense)
  19. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

They are seperate commands. They're both in the targeting section in options. One to target next in-encounter, another to just "target next", which goes both in and out of encounter.
  20. ARCHIVED-KBern Guest

Cool!
    I will look in my options and see if I can fix this.