Will there ever be a craftable Gi?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Mogthol, Feb 20, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I will probably repost this in tha art section but this is my vision of what the Gi should look like by class or as best as I can do. and yes I drew this, don't kill me on the anime style. *DUCKS* :smileytongue:
    [IMG]
  2. ARCHIVED-Kichigai Daidoji Guest

VERY NICE DRAWING!!!!!!!!!
    you got skillz
    also good vision, i particularly like the way bruiser looks tough w/out looking biker very nice work.
  3. ARCHIVED-SuckingItDry Guest

Most Impressive art work, Zab.
  4. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Thanks, BTW for some odd reason the idea behind the boots on the bruiser kept me singing in my head a variation of a 60's-70's song....
    These boots are made for stompin'
  5. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

No, its because we want the gi graphic to remain somewhat unique, and it won't if you can craft them. I don't even have the gi of the DD and I hope they never introduce crafted gis into this game.
    Just wait until deep into KoS when EVERY brawler you see has a rice paddy hat. The best way to be unqiue then will be not to have one, which then ruins the point of them in the first place, imho.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mogthol Guest

Your assumption Gaige would be that SOE would recycle the graphic for one of the 'rare' gis. Given their track record you are probably correct. This would how ever not be an issue if the common or crafted gi had a different look to the 'rare' gi. You would be able to maintain your prized individuality.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rrawl Guest

Yeah, if SOE would implement more variety in the armor models in general... this would be a moot point.
  8. ARCHIVED-Nerwen Guest

Absolutely wonderful drawing! Please submit a resume to the SOE art department, heaven knows they need the help! :p

They really do need to introduce more armor models into the game, though I doubt they will do this any time soon (considering that even the profession hats are taking a while.) At least having additional armor graphic choices might help to cut down the number of clones around.

I am still about half-convinced that Sony's art department consists of one guy....

(And yes, I do think he is a guy, mostly because of shoe graphics, but that is neither here nor there.)

Are there additional drawings in this series? I would love to see other monk gi ideas! :)

Jen 8)
  9. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

Even I like it, I'm really opposed to "beach boy-party girl" revaling Gi ideas, for being absurd in monk teachings. Being monk is not being semi-naked. Godsake, we are religious fighters. And if you ask what I like, I would like to see more Jedi tunics like stuff..
    And about "uniqueness", more revealing dress = more females or wanna-be-females picking monk JUST because of the look.
    When everyone is monk, there wont be any uniqueness.
    Message Edited by selch on 02-22-200611:55 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Nerwen Guest

While I don't necessarily disagree with much of this statement, the problem is that there is so little gear in the game that we are fighting to distinguish ourselves from druids, let alone looking like a specific sort of monk.

The problem with the "more revealing dress = more females" idea only holds true if there was ONLY monk gear which looked good (which is, sadly, almost true.) If, somehow, more gear were to magically appear, and each class was to have gear that looked good for that class, I don't think we would see any more monks than, say, druids. But yes, if they give one class (any class) good looking gear and put everyone else in potato sacks, everyone will gravitate towards the non-potato-sack gear.

Jen 8)
  11. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

to be honest, I really find "druid" statement kinda irritating in those boards.

What about Mystics / Defilers? Poor them sharing same armor with 8 scout classes...

How about Templars? Sharing Plate armor with 10 other classes...

How about wizards? They wear same purple robe with all 9 classes of mages.

We sharing only with Druids is actually we are lucky and more than that, only we having class specific gear "called Gi" , I mean more "request" for this actually makes us nothing but fashion-kids on other classes' eyes. Why are we sharing with druids? According to your other post, "our Gi that is useful" isnt it?

At least we got specific Gi's, druids dont have that either.

Before asking for more Gi's, I suggest checking other classes. Infact we must be the last class to ask for class specific gear since we are the only one having that.

Message Edited by selch on 02-23-200602:27 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Nerwen Guest

In other words, can my argument (monks should always look like monks) be extended to other classes?

You betcha! Please sell me a ticket on that train, I would like to climb on board! Can I tug on the whistle cord? Toooot, toooot! Here we go!

• Druids ought to have druid-specific class gear. Since they tend to be a tree-huggy sort of class, I would love to see some natural-themed designs, particularly incorporating patterns of leaves or even flowers. Even indistinct swirls might be appealing if they were brilliant green on a muted background.
      • Speaking of which, did I mention that it is a scandal - a SCANDAL! - that the corrupted dryads in Oakmyst forest get wreaths of sticks and berries, and player character wood elves don't? Wood elves ought to have all sorts of wearable wreaths - ivy, flowers, berries, etc. Whoever heard of a wood elf with a HELM? Give me a WREATH already!
    • Furies ought to have a stormy sort of theme for their class gear. Shades of gray would be interesting, particularly if they incorporated stylized cloud patterns (such as was used in minimalistic Japanese paintings, with a sort of series of stacked curliques.)
    • Necromancers and Defilers ought to get some bony gear! Defilers could have armor that is made from the bones of their enemies, like witch-doctors, while Necromancers ought to get stylish skeleton patterns in tones of blacks, maroon, and red, or else muted, somber colors with no patterns at all.
    • Paladins should have bright, gleaming holy armor. It would be great if they had some sort of a diety symbol on it (in EQ1 clerics actually had to pick their diety.)
    • Shadowknights should have dark armor - mysterious dark grays or blacks. Stylized skeleton patterns could work here also if done right.....
    I could go on in this vein, but lets move to races:

• Erudites need to have jewelry, especially since they are bald! What about that loading picture of the erudite with the gem pasted to his forehead? Where is that and how do I get one?
      • For that matter, jewelry needs to be visible, period. Look at all the space on my enormous elf ears! Why exactly aren't my earrings visible?
    • Wood elves need more nature stuff! More wreaths, more ivy, more flowers! How about roses? I love roses!
    • High elves need more crowns. Way, way, way more crowns. I want a different crown for every day of the week, and two on sundays!
    • Barbarians need more celtic things. I would love to see barbarian armor with celtic knotwork patterns in it. That, and more "Conan" gear - as a girl, I do love to look at shirtless male barbarians. Mrowr!
    I could go on there also, but I had better stop myself before I digress completely.

In short, yes, all classes need new gear, and they need it badly. All races need new gear, and they need it badly. However, these are the monk boards, so it seems to be the appropriate place to grumble about the general lack of gis in the game. If I wish to bemoan the lack of druid gear (and I should) then I would surf over to the druid boards to do so.

The difference I perceive between monks/bruisers and all other classes is that the other classes have no hope of getting different gear. None whatsoever. Will I ever see my woodelf wear a wreath of roses? No chance. Will I ever find armor that has a pretty, curling ivy pattern on it? Not going to happen.

These things would require not only recoloring, but entirely new armor models to be introduced in the game. I believe that new armor models are a very low priority on a very long list for Sony. Even the hats which were advertised for this expansion will take some time to be finished. I anticpate we will see a surge of new armor models in... hm, when is the game-that-shall-not-be-named due to be released again?

Monks, however, are a supremely fortunate class in that there are gi models in the game. Even better, the gi models are cloth armor (no annoying reflections to deal with) and seem to have a base color of white. The potential is there. The art department loves to recolor old armor sets, and the gi is an armor set that ought to be easy to recolor. It could happen, because I believe I will see thirty old, recolored sets of reused armor before I will see one new, sparkly hat. If gis became common, monks wouldn't look unique, but we don't look unique now, so what is the difference in that? Given the fact that I will be the clone of someone else - there is no avoiding it since armor is so limited - I would rather be monk all the way!

Jen 8)
  13. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

I think it's not necessary to bring in other classes.
    If they are happy with their shared armor, fine.
    If they are not happy they should start their own thread and discussion.

But, I think it's totally irrelevant to say that brawlers should be last in line for class specific gear, just because there are a few lootable Gi's and we opened a thread for monk defining armor.
  14. ARCHIVED-bluefish Guest

I too hope they never allow the craftable Gi ... the game is already too easy .. I got a Gi of the Ahen disciple when I was level 53 which is VERY easy to get .. and I wear that instead the scaled leather tunic .. I prefer the look of the Gi and honestly 5 stats points are not gonna save me either ...

PLEASE DON'T MAKE GIs CRAFTABLE
  15. ARCHIVED-Kichigai Daidoji Guest

ok i noticed most of the people that are against craftable Gi's are higher lvls and everyone assumes that craftable Gi's means Ashen Graphic. which doesnt necessarily have to be the case. i for one think that the ashen graphic should be a little more common since its been established as the basic look for a monk (go to Eldar Grove if you dont believe me)

SOE is going to have to start giving its players what they want, there are lower lvl folks that want to look like the monks in EG then when they find out that they cant (until lvl 54) they might quit. while normally i would say "good riddance" we need new players. i dont know if you realize this but WoW is kicking this games a55, and why is that?
  16. ARCHIVED-ryuen Guest

Yup paying that 14 gold on the broker for my ashen gi sure makes me feel like I achieved something, 2 more lvls till I get to wear it around town too... will make a nice change from my AQ gi that I keep on me for show.

I'm in favor of more gi's yeah, crafted or quested doesn't matter much to me but I want more gi choice. Now as far as you raiders wanting to keep the look rare and unique well... offcourse you do and you're bloody right too.
    Fabled gear from raids, including gi's, should be unique in looks and should look better than normal gear, to me this would be only logical.

So give us more gi's BUT ensure the fabled ones are recognised as such, even at a glance.
    I don't want my normal gi to look the same as what that raidmonk is running around in... that would just be silly.
  17. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

/ROFL
    OMG its obviously because EQ2 doesn't have craftable gis!
    What are they thinking!!
    Hurry make craftable gis and save EQ2, millions of people will subscribe and we'll be the most populated, lagtastic, queing MMO ever.
    BRING ON THE GIS!!!
    No. Please don't. WoW is beating this game because its easier, its Blizzard, and it released to multiple Asian markets.
    I'm all for giving players what they want... when those players are right.
    Message Edited by Gaige on 02-23-200608:23 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Kichigai Daidoji Guest

i like how you got that from what i wrote, or are you being sarcastic?:smileyvery-happy:
    thats just one example, there are many other reasons why WoW is beating this game but the main one is SOE knows best and usually doesnt like to listen to its player base. they keep adding content to the end of the game hoping that it will give the players something to strive for but that doesnt work people will get bored and play something easier (WoW) now before someone says "Kichigai go play WoW" i have no intentions of playing that game i prefer the game im playing now thank you. i just want to see that it survives and has a life like EQ1 and becomes the predominant MMORPG out there. this game should be crushing WoW because IMHO its ten times better (graphically, gameplay wise) SOE just has to learn to listen to its customers better.
    also take a drive to a martial arts dojo sometime all the students are wearing the same uniform the color of there belts usually indicate their rank. also on a side note i doubt any of those students had to get a group of them together and kill something in the woods to get their gi's they probably bought them and they were made/crafted in a sweatshop in india.