Will I always be blind as a bat?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Zeniff, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Zeniff Guest

Couple questions from a complete newbie.
    Played EQ1 and trying to understand mechanics of EQ2.
    Made a human and I can't see squat in caves. Am I destined to be blind forever with a torch that lets me see about 1 inch away from my character, or are there items in games like eq1 that will give me near infra/ultra visions (cold/heatstones in eq1). I can't stand being blind like this.
    This info would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide.
    Thank you in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Idoru Guest

Zeniff wrote:
    Change your Ambient Light settings in the options menu. Or use these: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Gnomish_Shades
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Increase your gamma settings.
  4. ARCHIVED-Siatfallen Guest

I've had this problem for a long time now as well. Blind as a bad, jumping randomly in the lower mistmoore catacombs, and hoping to land on ledges I have to remember from times when I've seen others play because I simply cannot see them.

I suspect I either have a very, very old and worn screen (it's getting very dark over all and has been so for the last, uh... Four years?), or it's a graphics card issue. Either way, you learn to live with it or, I guess, at least in my monitor, get another monitor. ;p

And yes, I'm having trouble seeing anything with brightness and gamma maxed.
  5. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

CRT monitors will dim over time. I actually have to turn the brightness on my LCD down a bit because it's TOO bright.
  6. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

I had the same issue, didn't see a thing during the night (ingame) and had to crank up the overall gamma setting, but i had to lower it again when it became daylight. I changed drivers, reset settings, reset monitor settings, max monitor settings...

Although the monitor didn't give colour/brightness issues under Windows desktop, etc... it really was the CRT monitor, I guess it was used up.
    I bought a new monitor (LCD nowadays) and the problem was gone. Nights were dark, but you can still see where you are going.
  7. ARCHIVED-Acterna Guest

I have noticed on my system that if I play in windowed mode the night looks pretty dark and gamma doesn't seem to help but if I switch to full screen I can see fine and the gamma settings seem to work.
  8. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

Gamma settings in games typically won't apply when running in windowed mode. Instead, since the window is just like any other window it falls under your desktop gamma settings.