Why use the DPS pets?Especially the warlock?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Deson, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Just saw the combat revamp DPS tiering, sent this as feedback.I hope some of my peers help me answer this.

Why wouldn't we be in the top tier with our dps pet? Barring huge differences between tiers, what would be it's point over the tank?Assuming a tiering difference of 20% or less and damage scales that are reasonable (IE Sorcs leading the pack with ~300 dps),why would I want to use the DPS pet over the tank? Unless major changes are made to the pets power regen/consumption, the DPS pets burn power faster than I do and regen it a heck of alot slower. The warlock pet currently doesn't melee so I suppose the scout pet will do if it gets properly fixed. The warlock pet AI if it remains the same is dismal and a deterent- why would I want to manage a pet so closely when I can just summon a melee pet and forget it( I assume the scout pet will either auto position for specials or not need to). Neither DPS pet has the health pool to take a sustained power tapping from me and neither one is more than a half second delay between a pissed off mob and me. To keep from slowing the group down too much, I'd have to resummon the DPS pets every 5 or so fights and as mentioned before, they dont have the hp to take my constant power tapping so my own dps would suffer. My tank on the other hand, doesn't really need power unless it's tanking, is largely summon and forget(he's not but he's a heck of alot less needy), is [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] near a limitless battery for a sub par equipped necro and is more than just a minor delay to most mobs when I piss them off.

So, when would I use it? Raids? Low HP and fast power consumption with positioning quirks make DPS pets annoying and more a liability. Groups? Just about the same as raids with the added points that it cant offtank, and cant perform a tank replacement if things go south. My tank pet in groups has successfully performed the role when all tanks fell in average yellow group content and, since its only a pet and I can heal it alittle, it's bought time for crucial revives as a sacrifice. Solo? If the increase over the tank pet will only be 20%, it wont kill fast enough for me to take the risk when the tank pet allows me to do solo content virtually risk free.

Aside from novelty, what would be the point?

Notes-I picked 300 dps because I found that going higher than that or 400 made the dps scales far too great and would require very large hp pools of mobs to compensate so it became unreasonable. I chose 20% because it's was a significant enough jump to make people stop and take notice without being ridiculous like our current distance from warlocks, yet close enough to be somewhat reasonable with the 300dps scale. I only worked this for the first 3 tiers because thats all that was releveant for this discussion. I recognize the changes arent even on test yet but I felt this needed to be asked now. Frankly I selfishly support the current ranking just because it would keep us free of skilless flavor of the month players that just want to be uber.
  2. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

I'm of the opinion that we'll be using the tank pets for most actions after the change. As you note, the DPS pets won't be able to take the constant power taps we require and they can't survive AoE's. Sorcerers and conjurers can tap themselves while we can only tap our pets, since pet heals for necro's are so crappy and we don't have a skill like minions intervention, I have a nasty feeling we'll be using the rotting thrall for most fights.

The developers are saying that they're looking at all spells and pets but from past experience I think our pets will get a dps boost and that's it (effectively, we may get a couple new skills but they won't be able to make up for the low hp's and avoidance skills of the warlock and assassin pets).
  3. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

I use my assassin master pet almost on every raid. It rarely dies except if there is a AoE and even then it dies just a bit faster then the tank pet. As far as power just resummon it and go. Very little downtime to do that.
  4. ARCHIVED-angan55 Guest

Absolutely agree.

Why is it that Necros are being pushed to 2/3 Tier DPS. Mezzers have mezzing to make themselves useful. Why screw us? Was expecting a lot from Combat Revamp. After Revamp lets look again at the Group formation. Tank, Healer, warlock, wiz, assassin, ranger. With spell stacking, any combination of the last four.

What, you don't care about few more leaving, high time you should. Look at the MMORPG subscription charts.
  5. ARCHIVED-URM8K3R Guest

well atm nothing beats the rt aept3 its has all other pets beat on dps and hp. after the revamp our damage pets will out do the rt in dps lets just hope that means they left the rt's dps where its at now and just razed the damage pets dps alot. it could mean they lowered the rt's dps abit and razed the damage pets dps a little....lets hope not.

being i only use my necro on epic raids i'll still be looking at that ugly [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] no animated zombie most of the time because most have a aoe and the damage pets wont stand up to those very well but, there are a couple of epics that dont aoe so i'll get to use damage pets on them:smileyvery-happy:

then again after the expansion comes out all us 50's will be back grouping and grinding and so i'll guess we can use them then. although any necro not doing epics should be fine not too many heroics with aoes.

i'm curious about the scout pets though i'm betting they've just upped the dps prolly got nothing to do with positioning that would be the ez way(the soe way) to do it. i havent heard anything about warlock pets staying out of melee range and just casting instead of running right up to melee range and getting its [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] knock off either but theres always hope i guess.