Why so expsenisve?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Path, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Path New Member

Why is this game so expensive to play? I mean I have to spend $80 for standard editions expansions if I want to get into end game. Then after reading a bit f2p really doesn't allow you to play end game. You need to sub to play the game.

I only bought a box for $1 so I'm not complaining about my investment. For a game this old and listed as Free to play, you think it would be a bit cheaper.

I guess that's to be expected from Sony, their famous for their blunders.

I guess it's good that I found out early, before wasting more of my time.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

Why not just play the game (for free) and decide for yourself when to buy the expansions?

If you're truly new, you won't need to buy Chains of Eternity for at least 80 hours of playtime. It took me about 6 months to get to max level first time round.

You don't need to shell out $80 at the start. Play it, and see if you like it and it's worth it to you.

Ps. It's worth paying $5 for silver membership by the way.
  3. napu Member

free to play does offer a lot of content, prob more than any other ftp game i've played, it's definately more than just a trial. On the other hand when do you reach the higher levels, 70 at an estimation it starts getting a bit more restrictive.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

silver is by far worth paying for especially with plat limitations removed. The inability to trade via broker or use custom chat channels can and WILL annoy you. The game has plenty of content that is F2P and you can even buy membership from other players now if your server has players selling Krono.
  5. Coffeeblack New Member

Unlike other F2P MMO's, Everquest 2 actually allows you to test out the game before purchasing.
    Like others have said, you don't need to purchase the latest expansion nor Age of Discovery right away.
  6. Rattrapz New Member

Haha, and as you may've noticed from my recent thread - DO NOT expect to get any free game time with your expansion purchases - like many other "membership" based MMOs offer. I just found this out the hard way.
  7. randomuser555 New Member

I didn't get any free time when I purchased Mists of Panderia (WoW) and Riders of Rohan (LOTRO) either

The only occasion I get free time is if I purchase the base retail game. Like when I bought The Secret World, I got a free 30 days.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

30 days free game time has ALWAYS been for a new customer. Why would you expect a month free with an expansion if you are an existing customer?
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

As others have said, if you have an existing membership you do not get any free game time with expansion purchases for pretty much any game. I know WOW & LOTRO never give free time for existing customers who buy the expansion. If I read correcting for Trion, you wouldn't get any free game time for their Rift expansion either if you had an existing sub.

And just as a general FYI, just starting out you don't need to buy any expansions. If you really wanted you could pick up AOD but I wouldn't bother buying COE until you were in the level range that could use the content (85+ for the Velious content that comes with it).

You can play pretty much the everything before velious without dropping a dime. You can lift chat restrictions, get more bag space & use expert spells (you won't need better than that before level 80 or so unless you really really just want it) for the equivalent of $5 or even less if you had bought SC during the recent double & triple events. There are no coin restrictions on any type of sub now. You can't mail anything but that is a pretty minor inconvience. You won't be able to equip legendary or fabled items without unlockers but they are like 25 cents so not a huge expense. So really, I am not understanding why you think it is SO expensive.

If a person wanted to go from the 'starter edition' of WoW (basically their free to play trial thing) you'd need to pay a lot more than what Sony is asking here I'd need to drop $20 for the basic upgrades for the oldest expansions then another $70 for the 2pack including the 2 newer expansions (oh excuse me another $50 because it's apparently on sale atm). But in either case it's also very expensive to start from scratch for that game too.
    If you don't catch it on sale to upgrade LOTRO from a basic account is also somewhere around $70 -80 dollars.
  10. ZachSpastic Active Member

I consider EQ2 to be a bargain. Compared to other fee-for-service entertainments (e.g. cable television) then SOE is practically giving it away.