WHY IS THE GAME SO COMPLICATED?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Glynt Active Member

Simply put the game is complicated. And as the second person to post said its mainly down to poor game design.

The game is not alt friendly despite what DBG say. Infact the game should be renamed Krono2 it has become pay to win.

An example? I want an orange adorn say Rune of witness. My three choices.. PG but i'll need to do at least 35 pg's to have enough coin. Not many people PG now. Ok i'll go to proving grounds you'll need somewhere near 3000 tokens if you have more than one toon great if not it's 18 per run. That's 166 runs. Ok so your only option is to ask a friend to craft.
    Originally it was 20 planar infusions now its 100 and an essence of magic that drops from your pet plant or you get lucky and find one in POM but it takes a long time. Or alternatively buy one off broker for a cool 399k. So people turn to Krono sell for 1.8 million and PAY TO WIN. DBG know this dbg created this.

I often think the DEV teams a bit like that scene in the movie BIG where Josh doesn't "get it" the only difference is non of them are telling their really dull boss the games not fun anymore because its full of pre-req's, ridiculously rare items that don't even drop and tons and tons of zone content full of utter crap loot. Take duo's what a waste of time. Oh and dumb rules like no trade on ethereal coin and stupid plat for items off npc's because the currency market is totally broken.

Quillyne, Juraiya, Feldon and 3 others like this.
  2. semisus Does not play this game

I dont agree , the runes you can get through gameplay , it might take a while though
    However ascensions are p2w , and so is familiar lviin
    Tbh at this point in the game i dont mind that people can buy their way to advance before others but i feel everything should be able to be gained through gameplay
    I wouldent recommend this game to anyone new though , a new player coming in needing epic/orange adorns/spells / ascensions / familiar etc it would just be to much
    Meneltel likes this.
  3. Stach Well-Known Member

and people are finally getting to the point of the straw that broke the camels back, welcome to my world 6 months ago.
    Meneltel and Feldon like this.
  4. Droll Active Member

This is my issue. I left after ToV. Just came back on a whim to see how things were. Dissapointing is how they are.

Dont get me wrong... I'm still having fun, goofing off, leveling alts, farming drunder raids, tinkerfest PQs, etc. But I cant do what I came here to do. So not sure how long I'll stay at this rate.
    Meneltel likes this.
  5. Lasai Well-Known Member

I don't buy this argument. The base game is still easily done with minimum or no DBG microtransactions.

What has changed is the effort to reach that lofty Perch where you can smugly look down upon the common casual "peon" and declare "you don't deserve nice things, lazy shrubs".

I'm wholly amused by this.

Blame the Devs if it makes you feel better, but since launch a committed, vocal group have demanded that there be an Elite tier with no sympathy for those unwilling to grind out or shell out to get there. A group that jumped upon any post with the words "Too Hard" in it and tore the poster apart for being "casual'. Raid guilds demanding manastone2 loot card from LoN and requiring RMT "pay to win" as far back as RoK. None of this is really new.. it's just become more extreme. Players have helped drive the game to this point while patting themselves on the back for being so gud @ eq2.

Welcome to the have nots. Enjoy your stay. As was said over the life of this game, "if ur not willin to do the work don't cry about not being able to do the content."

Karma.
  6. slica Active Member

Well Idk, I kinda disagree with this outside of the ascension/familiar thing. I came back after 3 years. 1k plat, it took some time and work, but even with limited play time I caught up in about 2 months. And no I didn’t sell Kronos for plat. I just farmed and a bit of luck n made some plat to buy **** I needed.
  7. Glynt Active Member

I have a day job thanks. Why would i want more "WORK".

I want to have FUN when playing eq2, not get into an argument with a raid geared player in a heroic instance moaning because his dps is x 40 more than mine so he feels the need to berate me let alone realise he has nothing to gain from doing the instance because he can't even trade his ethereal coin to an alt!

The time constraints are too much to be a viable player if you are catching up or don't play 5-6 hours a day.

I don't have an issue with the content i enjoy what i've seen.

The issue is this negative persistent approach to punish the players for not completing previous signature lines.
    The disproportionate poor implementation of being able to get adorns yet mythical cloaks drop freely from solo quests.
    The forced structure of you will craft to play this game.

Non of the above if improved would encroach on raid players. If anything it would get things moving. I've never understood this negative approach to the game this almost punish approach. There should in my opinion be an abundance of gear ( not generic crap) an abundance of adorns readily available. Get players moving allow them to join groups ( i'm not talking potions here) give confidence to those players who now chose to solo because the gap between those who can or have is so great others feel completely out of their depth so don't even try to group, especially tanks trying to progress.

I have a tank he has 55k hp 56k potency i can't get a group its not enough, i spend my whole time in proving grounds because i refuse to buy krono to get V adorns that are just so unrealistically hard to get. PG is solo and anti social.

There needs to be a positive approach so groups aren't looking for hours for a tank let alts be viable ( they always use to) Epic 2.0 was so last expac make it easier for players to get.

In Diablo 3 ( and yes i realise its a totally different game) however, in Diablo 3 you get so much gear in such a short time you have this overwhelming sense of achievement. Lots of options lots of specs and you just keep coming back for more. Positive!

In eq2 it use to be like that now i don't think people could even name their gear its all so generic. Look at the top raiders all wearing the same gear the only thing they care about is HP and Pot Stats.. how very very very very very dull. Boring not fun and dull.

Change needs to happen at present there's alot of players like me just soloing, questing pottering about i freely admit i can't catch up.

I cannot get my health to 70k or 85k pot on my own and i've missed the boat on this expac.

When's the next expac? Plane of Krono's.. alone and on your own!!

Our guilds gone from 30+ regulars logged on to around 4-5 i'm sure that's similar for alot of guilds. There must be a reason.
    Aussie_one, Kalika, Meneltel and 3 others like this.
  8. Lasai Well-Known Member

Nice wall of text with nothing to do with what I posted and you edited Glynt.

Status Quo since launch, if you want to run with the top end, you play by their rules and the checks the game has put in to placate them. Nothing has changed but the mechanics. Nothing is new.

If you choose not to, you abide by your choice and accept the limitations imposed by your choice. I have since 2005, and you will not find a post by me whining about what others have when I, personally, have chosen not to pursue that kind of game.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Castegyre Well-Known Member

MMOs in general have always been about getting what you earn. At least they should be. Unless the dev team is incompetent the biggest problem as I see it today is how the cash shop is handled, or mishandled as it were, in some games. /shrug

I've never really regretted my decision to stop raiding in most of these games. I do miss out on cool things for a while, but I have to clean the spittle off of my monitor a lot less from yelling at people. Everything is a tradeoff.
    Meneltel, Lasai and Rhodris like this.
  10. Glynt Active Member

Agreed i use to raid alot on EOF was in a top guild i benefited gear wise from that effort.

I still don't like what is happening in the game at present and actively chose to cancel my account. It ends in August i will play to that point, but not because i'm looking to make a stand. I simply accept i can't catch up to enjoy the game with my guild friends. I just can't do it or give the game the time needed to be either accepted stats wise or be able to play on an equal level.

I could understand that if it was raiding but for expert zones? really?

No other expansion has put that time constraint demand on me like this one.

I'll quote Dead alt account " Too much emphasis on building the character instead of playing the character. Likely because its easier to introduce things like adorns and infusions than actual content to play."
    Aussie_one, Juraiya, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  11. Ashandra Well-Known Member

Way to much gated grinding now , I am glad there is talk of ditching the epic weapon slots,all be it next expac the 2nd epic timeline with all it needless grey grind has got to be the least fun I have had in eq2 and massive turn off to people particularly new blood.

I have a sub still but no class balancing in sight a long with dismal loot tables has got me looking else where.
    Aussie_one, Rhodris and Meneltel like this.
  12. Lasai Well-Known Member

Well. I have to say I'm ok with game right now, happier than I've been since DoV. More solo instance and questlines and more recognition of Solo as a viable play style. Granted, I am not as impacted by group play concerns, coin grinding, infuse grinding and a lot of other things that seem bones of contention like the never ending 'balance" topic. I'm pretty much ignoring Ascension and familiar leveling.

Didn't do Epic 1, didn't like the Fisher Price clown weapons, so, Epic 2 is of no concern in my game, lack of Epic 1 never hampered me.

Crafting.. eh. Don't need the silly MacGyver and "evry crafter is low level arggo dodger" forced mechanics sigs, I've largely ignored them, but it is so refreshing to build Viable MC gear again.

I'm not on the Bash Daybreak bandwagon. They got what Smokejumper left them, not an enviable job to take on.
    Stach, Spindle, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  13. Julesholland Active Member

I love Lasai's post above :)

I assume it was made in all seriousness and that made me smile, in my mind it sums up as.. if you ignore all the new stuff added over the last two years its quite a good expansion....
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Lasai Well-Known Member

Shrug. It's the stuff KA brought in that seems to be what has people waving the "End is Near" signs.

FYI I have ignored instanced token grinding since TSO, a lot longer than 2 years.
    Rhodris and CoLD MeTaL like this.
  15. Julesholland Active Member

In fairness I don't really have a dog in this fight... I have already cancelled my sub and it expires in 18 days so really only a watching brief here
  16. Orionza Active Member

You know, I know what you mean. But I'm enjoying the heck out of this game, more now than I ever have. If you're a solo player like me, everything is so easy now. If you want to get nitpicky about each adornment and all your gear and all the things that can boost you to the max with every single alt...you'll make yourself nuts. I mostly do that stuff on ONE main character and I still don't have the best gear or adorns etc. I try to learn the best to do for that toon only. My alts are for fun. None have the best gear. Some focus on certain questlines, some are more role-play or I just like to take them out and check out their fun spells a couple levels. If I tried to get OCD about each one I'd be bonkers. Even trying to do Familiars Wild on them all daily is making me nuts. I will be focusing on a few top ones for that, and the rest get whatever, whenever.

For me, I'm at the point where I can go back and do old content I never was able to do before. I can probably run these dungeons naked and still be okay. We got our mercs, and the familiars and all to boost us. We can run tons of stuff alone and just go around and do fun stuff instead of grinding away. Agnostics for books and gear and shinies. My latest fun thing is to do Fabled Vaults of El'Arad for the class hats. I'm sure there are other fun places that have great end rewards...but I've been doing this one for at least three weeks, once or twice a day and still not tired of seeing which hat I get at the end!

I guess if you like raiding you'll want to be nitpicky, but for soloing I really think you could relax on the gear OCD and choose what you like to do in the game that's actually fun. It may help you look at everything differently.
    Spindle, Breanna and Lasai like this.
  17. Glynt Active Member

It too made me smile. Alot!

The way i see it there must be ideas flowing in DBG they are producing some content or remixing old content. What they don't seem very good at is looking at stuff that doesn't work and just leaving it in the past. Lets just forget ascensions ever existed and move on. PLEASE! Other content is broken as is class balance and the fact most classes are so generic. There was a time you wanted a bard in a group for specific reasons or a warden........ oh never mind!

Ascensions springs to mind as does the current system for masters in the game including planar fragments, adornments and the fact crafting isn't really crafting anymore its an extension of adventuring. And you have a choice not to do it but really they put all the good stuff at the end of a crafting line and you do the sig line and get a crossbow you're never gonna use.. /golf clap!

Everyone is forced down a narrow corridor. Why add duo zones if there are no unique rewards to be had or desriable rewards.

No HQ's anymore they've completly gone, the constant grind is dull as is all the SP you have to spend just to buy anything.
    The Plat market is broken but won't be fixed. And it leaves you with the dullest players with zero personality and this insatiable addictive me first mentality. All the fun people have left!

Solo game play is probably working ok to be fair but the grouping isn't. Some players just can't plug the stats gap.

I could go on but i won't i shall enjoy my final month probably visiting some old nostalgic content. And then decide what zone i shall camp my character in for the final time.
  18. Beast Member

There's only one question left then.. Can I have your stuff?

I find it comical people who either "have quits months/years ago" or people who "my sub is running out and i am letting it" spend so much time on a forum about a game they no longer play/enjoy? Makes ya wonder...
    Spindle likes this.
  19. Glynt Active Member

That's just it i do enjoy aspects of the game. I too have probably like most not let go of the nostalgia. However it never hurts to have a discussion about the game. DBG are right on the ball and listening to the community. So here's hoping..they'll fix something anything just one thing... no? anything?............... /silence.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Because they still care and hope their voices can help bring the changes they feel the game needs and if enough changes made that is agreeable to them, they might come back. Doesn't look like that is happening though...
    Juraiya, Rhodris, Ashandra and 2 others like this.