Why I didn't buy double SC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Penagast, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Penagast New Member

I love EQ2 and had been waiting for a double SC offer for a long time (despite hints that it would never happen again), so I wanted to let SOE know why I'm not buying it.

It's because the SC cost of spell research time (e.g. to purchase Masters) was almost tripled not long ago.

I can't play often enough to earn a lot of gold, so I appreciated the ability to get my abilities upgraded with SC. But it makes no sense for me to do it now with the ridiculous prices.

Still a great game, but not willing to buy SC after that.
    CoLD MeTaL and Feldon like this.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You're kind of hurting yourself to spite them. If you pick up the double SC, that's like getting half off the price. On all-access, it probably goes back reasonably close to its original price and we have yet-to-be-revealed discounts on Monday. Given how rare this opportunity is nowadays, it seems foolish to pass it up.

Some will say some more stuff will increase in price. I don't see it happening because they released all their new products that people bought up before the sale.
  3. Simonic New Member

A rough calculation reveals it would take about $500 cash to buy enough SC to take all your 96-100 spells from Apprentice to Grand Master. I believe the OP has a good point!
    Wurm likes this.
  4. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Is that with or without double SC?
  5. mouser Well-Known Member

And before they put in research you would have had to wait for the drops for all of them. Adepts and Masters still drop, so you don't have to research everything from apprentice. And you will get all your spells/arts to GM eventually provided you keep playing.

Personally, I don't play on spending any SC on research - but I'm glad I saved a SC from one of the old promotions and may buy myself a bit more today. I'm hoping for a discount on the noble Aerykyn on Monday, but even without, the double SC puts them right about the price I think they should have been from the start.
  6. Malleria Well-Known Member

Does it matter? Do you think $250 is acceptable?
  7. Stylish Active Member

If you don't play a lot then GM should not be a "big deal". What is it....a few % increase?
    Having said that, there are other ways to get them.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Personally, I never have and never will spend money on research. That's neither here nor there. My point is if it was acceptable to a player to pay the old price for research. Today's the day to buy up the SC.There are those handful of spells that need to be GM before they can be Ancient.

This so-called calculation needs to show more than it is to be considered rough. Just saying 500$ is very misleading and confusing. Is it $500 spent on SC during double SC today, giving you 100,000 or is it supposed to be 50,000SC, which would cost $250? That's a big difference.
  9. Xiatoris Member

Yeah, I believe it's an acceptable amount for a purely convenience related purchase. If there weren't ways to obtain them in game both via crafting and research, then it may seem a bit steep to me. But this is really just a "how bad do you want it NOW" price scheme.
  10. Nezette Well-Known Member

Wait... people spend SC on GMs? Y'all really ought to roll up scouts... you'll save oodles!

SC is for bunny mounts and transfer tokens, btw!
  11. Wurm Well-Known Member

250 dollars sounds like a good deal to you? No thanks.
  12. Foretold Well-Known Member

Too bad for you, then, OP. I loaded up on double station cash. First double station cash offer in over a year, iirc. It would have been foolish to let that pass.
  13. Wurm Well-Known Member

I got station cash but then didn't find anything I wanted to buy afterwards lol. Maybe the next holiday will have a few things I want.
  14. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

There are people paying it or the price wouldn't be where it is. I'm not, but if some want to pay for more let them.

I didn't buy any $C on double event either because I agree everything is priced too high and refuse to pay those prices for my self. Of course with how this expansion is panning out for me, it is saving me a ton by not upgrading any other accounts etc. and may eventually give me the final shove out of addiction. woohoo!
  15. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I didn't buy any SC on the double sale for one simple reason: there isn't anything on the Marketplace that I really feel like spending $$$ on. The only things on the Market I am interested in, I've already got; the things I don't have, I can get with the free 500SC I get from my SOE cards.