Why don't certain abilities upgrade to T9?

Discussion in 'Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Loladen, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Loladen Guest

Have been wondering about this for a while now.
    Abilities for Swashbucklers like Spurious Bravado, and Perfect Finesse only make it to T7, while Hurricane only has one rank.
    Would they be too powerful at T9? Were they forgotten about?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

They weren't forgotten about, the devs just don't want to upgrade them further. Some things like feign death already has like 97% chance of working, and the devs obviously want to keep a small chance of failure so they don't make it 100%. Some things like Rescue scale to level. Other things like Honed Reflexes would probably be too good if they were upgraded further, because it would devalue haste buffs from other classes and gear with haste.
  3. ARCHIVED-glowsinthedark Guest

Lots of the stuff that doesn't scale also has percentage based effects, you can't make those a lot better with out making them way overpowered
  4. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

Guardians have quite a few like this, while percentage based skills are understandable others are messy, like the sentinel strike end line TSO ability that just does pure threat, damage went up at 90 but this ability stayed where it was. Even older ones like reinforcement have a mish-mash of scaling abilities (increases the threat by one level) and increases the threat by a number which have not changed since level 45 ish.
    I think the main reason for not upgrading everything is that it would make us too overpowered, although when I see the threat SK's can put out its clear that they've not fixed every class so I guess they scale each one seperately.
    The other problem is that we just have too many abilities now, upgrading all of them means that each one cannot be too strong so they're all getting kind of weak, reinforcement is a case in point, its still good now but when it first came out it must have been awesome adding 1k threat per a hit, now the threat is kind of meaningless when we hit for so much more.
    A player back in 2006 had a lot less to deal with then 2010, and although its cool some of these abilities add depth to the gameplay (make us think what to do and when) the more diluted the power gets spread amoungst them the less important each one gets.
  5. ARCHIVED-Vulkan_NTooki Guest

Imho.. an upgrade doesnt have to be a upgrade of the current effect.. add other effects to it would also be considered an upgrade..
    Especially to buffs.
  6. ARCHIVED-ShadowMunkie Guest

Akuu@Runnyeye wrote:
    I whole heartly agree with this statement. Instead of increasing the % of the spells other effects could be added onto them, however that is case in point where if they did that effect would deminish gear more depending on the type of effect.
    So all in all I honestly wish all spell got upgraded however, I understand the hesitation the developers put into upgrading them even slightly. Up until the last GU, Potency and Crit Bonus had caps on them. If the game gets more in line with few and few caps then I could see the developers being able to upgrade and give each effect something useful.
  7. ARCHIVED-NamaeZero Guest

I'd be happier if some of the spells that didn't upgrade didn't grey out. It kinda makes the whole mechanism for showing your spells need upgrading worthless for that purpose. For example, Monk's Tsunami is only available at level 55 and once you get to 65 or so it visibly greys out, even though there is no Tsunami II. In addition, some level 75-80 spells don't grey out at level 90 so I don't know what this mechanic is supposed to be doing.