Why does this game take two full days to install?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Mortac, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Mortac New Member

Yeah, so this is the slowest installation I've ever experienced, and I've been a daily gamer for over 35 years.
    While I'm aware my 100 Mbit/s connection isn't fast by today's standards, it's still fast enough that it shouldn't take me TWO DAYS to download 27 Gb. It will actually take more MORE than two days, because after downloading for nearly 24 hours all it got me was 10 Gb.

100 Mbit/s is 12.5 Mb/s which is equal to 750 Mb per minute, or 45 Gb per hour if everything runs at optimum speed. Considering the game is 27 Gb it should be downloaded easily within 2 hours, not two days.

I don't have any issues with anything else and my download speed is fine. It's only this game that is so incredibly slow. That tells me something is terribly wrong with Daybreak's distribution system, and when googling this issue, it seems people have been experiencing the same thing for years.

Any workarounds?
  2. Mortac New Member

It'll actually take 3 days to install. I'm at 62% after roughly 36 hours of downloading.

I've checked my router and the download speed in the launcher is roughly 125 kb/s. Why is it so slow?

Like I said previously, when you Google this issue, people appear to have had this problem for over 10 years.
  3. Mortac New Member

Ok so I figured out the problem. Apparently you have to click the "full download" checkbox in the launcher settings. Way to go Daybreak for having it off as default and then not explaining it anywhere.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

They went with the streaming model for some reason I have never understood, and I hate it. In theory, it was supposed to speed things up. In reality, not so much. I find it's much faster to do the full install so the files are on my computer when I need them, not re-served from the Interwebz each time.
  5. Mortac New Member

I just noticed that the full install really didn't fix it. For some reason it says there's another 27 Gb to download now, and when I check the speed in my router, it's downloading at roughly 125 kb/s again. This is just absurd that it takes 3 days to download the game.
  6. Odibat New Member

I am having this same problem, according to my calculation it will take over 157 Hours for me to install this 27 MB whatever it is. So I've spent my money to sit and watch this thing spin. Maybe I'll just skip this game and ask for my money back since I can't play. I only went to all access yesterday
  7. Malachy Well-Known Member

It's not a solution and sorry for your experience, but it literally took me 20minutes to install the game (the full download). Have you considered going to a public library, a coffee shop or friend's place and use their internet? Even McDonalds has free wifi, just sit in the parking lot with a portable power supply if it's a desktop. It's a one and done situation.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Usually if the download is running long, I stop the launcher. I may reboot my computer, router, and modem. Then I start it all back up and start the launcher again.
  9. Mortac New Member

Like I said before, it's not my internet. My internet speed works perfectly fine for everything except the EQ2 launcher.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm suggesting that Launchpad is banjaxed, reset everything and try again.
  11. Leetha New Member

Thank you so much.... This was the info I was looking for. Now it is downloading nice on my new computer :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Leetha New Member

If I remember well it always did say that.... :and now after the " Full download" is still does, but in the game no downloading more (the "little walking dragon" doesn't show anymore).

I am happy.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one who detested that damn streaming pile of fewmets. It's just that I also agree that we shouldn't have to read fine print to make it work properly, and that the Launchpad shouldn't bork up that much. X-P

Nice to know that's a quick fix, though; how is it doing now, Mortac? Any better luck? :)

Uwk
    who thinks we really need an "I Sympathize, even though I don't Like your awful situation, bro" sort of button in the Forums...
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Beee Well-Known Member

Just tested it by deleting the paks folder. So EQ2 Launchpad has to download 23 GB again

Here is the result:
    Finished downloading 25,512,202,391 bytes in 377.998 seconds (67,492,956 bytes per second)

=> Your slow download is not a problem of daybreak, It's a problem of provider connections
  15. Caladar New Member

Thank you so much! That fixed it. For anyone reading this, you have to click the APPLY button after clicking the "Download All" checkbox.

It has now downloaded 26 GB in less than 10 minutes. Before, I had the same problem as everyone else here. I was about to give up.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.