Why do monks have less HPs then other fighters?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Blaze79, Dec 15, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Blaze79 Guest

I thought we were all supposed to have a similar HP pool. However at level 29 I have 200 HP less then a 29 zerker in my guild and 75 less then a 29 guardian. I also have gear equal or better then theirs. Why is this?
  2. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Because you get hit less.
  3. ARCHIVED-Santsu Guest

True but you also get hit for more. IF monks are tanks they should have compairable HPs, it seems to me that armor has nothing to do with HPs, My guess is that a monk who trained his whole life in the martial arts whould have a very hi constitution.
  4. ARCHIVED-Sithen Guest

I agree with Santsu that numerically it does make sense that if a guardian mitigates 30% of the damage that he would have taken and a monk dodges 30% (fictional values of course) of the blows, the end results would be pretty damned close to identical... However, tanking ability is not the only thing measured when creating a class, monks likely do a considerable amount more damage than guardians do (I have no numbers to back this up, just speaking in hypothetical terms), thus they should be given a slight advantage in tanking ability. Remember, according to the developers, though we are still a tanking class we are the most damaging class in the group and thus at the opposite end of the fighter spectrum, thus we will take slight defensive penalties, I'd assume at level 29, if 200 hit points was the difference between living and dying, you were likely in trouble in the first place.
  5. ARCHIVED-Leopaul Guest

What would be the point if in the end all the tanks would turn out to be the same...
    This game gives you a situation you have to overcome... Every class has a situation where it outshines others, dont cry because your monk has less HP because this negative is countered by a positive you may not have seen yet.

With a shaman as a healer its better to have a monk and avoid. Does it matter if you lack 200hp when you have a ward on? A guardian who gets hits more but for less wouldn't make a good use of a ward because the dmg taken by the ward is counted before the guardian AC... so as a result the ward of a monk takes the same dmg as the ward of a guardian on a succesful hit. The monk has the upper hand because he gets hit less.

With a Cleric healing the guardian has the upper hand because he gets hit alot but for low damage thus vitae succesfully heals him. A monk on the other hand doesnt get hit much but gets hit hard so vitae isnt as effective.

Different tanks are better suited for different situation if the number turned out to be the same for every fighter class how fun would that be?
  6. ARCHIVED-ReynardTheFox Guest

There could be a whole number of reason. What was their stamina value, what traits did they have that affected hitpoints, how many plusses to health from gear.

Your argument has too many unknowns at the moment for anyone to make a judgement.
    Message Edited by ReynardTheFox on 12-16-2004 11:14 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Zadkiel343 Guest

As far as I know all fighter classes get equal HPs.

Any differences can be down to equipment, traits, buffs etc (Paladins for example get self-only HP buffs)

Zadkiel.
  8. ARCHIVED-Blaze79 Guest

Well as far as traits go I have picked all HP and stamina traits without exception. And I have the best gear that I can find at my level. In fact my gear is better then that of the fighters I am compairing myself too.

Our HP is defintly smaller.
  9. ARCHIVED-Zadkiel343 Guest

Priest classes have concentration-based HP buffs, and can only cast a limited number of them.

As the more widely accepted 'tank' in a group, your Guardian/Berserker friends are more likely to have those buffs on them.

I compared myself naked and unbuffed with an equal level guardian and our hps were about 30 apart, which was explained by his race and class picks which gave him a higher naked stamina stat.

Zadkiel.
  10. ARCHIVED-Norivar Guest

Were you grouped with the Zerker at the time? Did he have self buffs on? Zerkers get Battle tactics prior to level 29 which may or may not have increased his/her hp. There are numerous factors that can influence why he/she had more hp than you. Both of ya take off all your gear/buffs then compare again...I seriously doubt the difference in HP is really that noticable.
  11. ARCHIVED-Blaze79 Guest

I have taken all these factors into account. I am talking about unbuffed HPs and no HP combat arts being used. Note: I only noticed this around level 30. In the low to mid 20s my HPs were the same as other fighters.
  12. ARCHIVED-Norivar Guest

Another thing to consider is weapons. Are you using a two-hand staff or dual weapons? I tend to prefer using dual weapons due to the fact you can gain stats from 2 items as opposed to only getting bonuses from the single two-hand weapon.