Why... Do Guardians get higher damage on bows than Rangers?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kagara, Dec 31, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Pristine Teak Longbow... my max damage is 347, his... is 407. Why or how is it possible for a warrior to hit for more with a bow than it is for a ranger?? How in what world does this become possible??? Both teh guardian and I are level 50. That just doesn't make sense.
  2. ARCHIVED-Filipp2442 Guest

Yup that is total BS.... had a longbow drop in Perma from a named dmg for me was 60-300 or so damage for our zerker was 75-360. Guess who got the bow? the zerker.. if we are supposed to be a bow class we need to have advantages in bows.
  3. ARCHIVED-AvengersEMH Guest

totally agree, i think sony hates rangers cause they are the only class that has to pay money for alot of their special hits(arrows) which gets expensive for good ones.plus the best part of us, the bow isnt even the best compared to clases and alot of the skills we get with the bow, you need to be stationary, some of this has to change.
  4. ARCHIVED-littleman17 Guest

Not that I'm trying to shoot down your claim but, you ever try using that bow with your techs, I bet you would have done much more dmg than the zerker. We aren't suppose to use a bow by its self, that is why we have so many bow required skills.
  5. ARCHIVED-netwerkingyuppie Guest

Newbie to the scout/ranger area here, but a thought...
    Isnt it strength that determines damage on a bow? This seems perfectly fine...I'm sure we greatly out damage them with our skills...
  6. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

I was watching a level 38 Zerker pull with a bow. He hit no more than 5 times in about an hour. Every other shot missed.

So, even if he can outdamage me on a normal ranged attack, at least I hit 98% of my shots.

I still think bows have too wide of a damage range though... at the current cost/damage ratio, bows should do a bit more damage, period.

And as for the zerker getting the bow over the Ranger that needed it.. I hate that crap so much. I have lost 3 medium armor pieces to tanks that think +3 more on a stat is better than +100 AC and better damage mitigation... not to mention that the heavy armor counterpart drops and I pass because I can't wear it and they lot and win that too.. but that's a different story all-together...
  7. ARCHIVED-Ricin-Ratbasher Guest

Yes I have seen people out damage me with a single hit on the bow but as stated before they miss more often and I can spam attacks and pin cushion the mob.
    Remeber we are damage over time not direct damage, personaly when in a group hunting reds I do not want to do any big hits, most mobs are ugly and I have no disire to see their faces.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cetanu12 Guest

-_-'

man, if a tank takes an item more beneficial to another player before my eyes once more....

i will pillage Qeynos.

Happens all the time.. everyday, and when i say "hey man, i need it more"
    they reply "shutup i'm the tank" or similar...

it's ridiculous, i should be getting gold for letting people tank me because i end up losing good items....
  9. ARCHIVED-Gods Guest

I have a level 29 Gaurdian ( Knight ) and a level 26 ( Ranger ) Cong. Both on the Blackburrow server.

I can tell you for a fact that Gaurdians dont do squat for damage with a Bow. I just used it for Pulling and thats it. Normally would miss 90% of the time.

I used Pristine Ash long Bow with my Gaurdian and it claims to hit for like 100 or something... I can assure you I have never hit for more than 1/2 of that on the rare times that I do connect.

When it comes to Bow Damage we are the Heavy waight champs.

Cong level 26 Ranger
    knight level 29 Gaurdian
    Qeynos Tool and Die Co.
    Blackburrow
  10. ARCHIVED-Jowana Guest

Well, they do higher dmg because their STR is higher may be? I am not sure if bow goes into the STR category, since it supposedly deals with melee combat...

In any case, yeah they should at least lower the fighter class' bow skill cap so rangers have an advantage when using bow.
  11. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

You're right, Jowanna. Bows are STR based and any Guardian worth his or her salt would have as much str as they could get, since their power pool is strength based as well.

The problem is there's no additional bow damage modifier for rangers. Maybe this should be looked into ;)
  12. ARCHIVED-Ravi Guest

Oh yes, I have seen a tank lot on a +4 WIS, +8 INT necklace and win it when our mage needed an upgrade. Tanks... I know there are some of you out there that aren't greed incarnate.. but [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] is there a buttload of you greedy SOBs... just because you CAN wear it doesn't mean others won't get more benefit out of it. And NO YOU WON'T WEAR THAT MEDIUM ARMOR SO ****. I would laugh so hard at a tank wearing a medium armor piece...

Grrr... I've had to deal with too much of this...

Bah, NBG is fundamentally flawed because of this. But some drops like Enchanted Black Iron are so rare that without NBG I would never get my upgrades... It's a love/hate relationship. I just hope that when that rare drop happens the tank already has that piece...

Oh, and yeah - an extra ranged damage multiplier for rangers would be excellent.. but it would never happen. -_-
    Message Edited by Ravi on 01-03-2005 01:07 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-Rolarin Guest

I dont care if some1 win a lotto and i can benefit most, i speak up. If they are (or one guy is) being punks about it, ill let it slide once. next time, i take my toys and go home.
  14. ARCHIVED-Shadebringer Guest

Rangers do get extra bonus to damage with their bows, they are called specials.

Yeah a Tank might get more damage out his bow but he hardly ever hits and certainly doesn't have the specials we do so in the long run he doesn't really do any extra damage at all.

if it was a archery contest his bow v your bow you will win every time, so don't go getting class envy just cause a tank is stronger than you, hes supposed to be big n strong and good at using all weapons.

What stands us apart from him is the 'tricks' we can do with a bow by means of our specials.

Anyone can learn to use a bow well and some are stronger than others meaning they can use a bigger pull bow, but not everyone is legolas or robin hood, they got that little extra hence why we get all those rows of specials which require a bow to use.
  15. ARCHIVED-Squidwalker Guest

I would like to see the combat log for this. Seeing as rangers are the only ones that get ranged specials, that means everyone is stuck with autofire. Now yes you can get a killer bow, and the best arrows you can buy/use, but the same equipment in a rangers hands, USING A SPECIAL will do far more damage. I only have up to wounding arrow, but my backshot does 150-200 points of damage. That's just using the ranger bow and foraged arrows. The zerker I group with migh hit an autofire shot for pulling for 30 dmg.
  16. ARCHIVED-Ijiamee Guest

My Sniping Shot, at level 39, has recorded a 543 point hit.
  17. ARCHIVED-pWnZ0r88 Guest

Ever read the "Wood elf tradition" quote? the "Precision in Combat" one? it says something like this,

"We may not have the strength of the bigger races, but we make up for it by knowing where to hit!"

Ranger's will always be the best with bows... just be happy with what you got before Sony goes and nerfs us for some stupid reason -.-
  18. ARCHIVED-Aulerdar Guest

Only have up to wounding arrow?? thats a lvl 20 skill yet u have makeshift and backshot???. As for back shot in my opinion we should be able to do more damage with our bow backshot than our melee backshot which is not the case =/
  19. ARCHIVED-Tevf Guest

Tbh rangery collegues, if the one inviting me to a group isnt a friend I say no. Thats the only way to be sure leader of group is fair and will make sure all loot are nbg.

And for the archery thing, SOE im still pissed that I do more higher hits melee and not with archery. Period.
  20. ARCHIVED-Danariel Guest

I'm truely dissapointed in the Ranger class as a whole. I feel like I'm more of a glorified Rogue. With the LOOOOONG recast timer on Bows, either I only get in 1 shot before the mob is on me (longbow) or I'm nearly within their aggro range when I shoot, and still only get in 1 shot (shortbow.) AND don't even bring up the Pet.

EQ so didn't get the feel of the Ranger right. I like the stealth, and the positional attacks, but I want faster bows, greater range, and a real pet. Unfortunately for SOE, Blizzard has taken away the stealth and the positional attacks, but has given me the things I feel embody the Ranger. Not sure if/when I'll be back to EQ2.