why do fistwraps use Slashing skill?

Discussion in 'Bruiser' started by ARCHIVED-CosmicAcidGuru, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-CosmicAcidGuru Guest

could we get a dev's response to this question please?

We have skills like Brawl that increase our fist skill, but no weapons that actually use that skill.

Cosmic Acid Guru
  2. ARCHIVED-Jezekiell Guest

Fistwraps, Cestii, and Cestus all use Fists + Crushing/Slashing/Piercing skill. Where as a Baton would use Staff + Crushing/Slashing/Piercing (I know batons don't pierce/slash, this is for example only), what this means is that a weapon uses 1 skill tied to the type it is, and 1 skill tied to the damage type. Both skills shares a role in to hit, and weapon type (Fist, staff, ect.) plays a role in damage.
  3. ARCHIVED-Opaki Guest

Jez, per usual, gets it right. If I may simply amplify.

Every weapon has two types of skills attached to it. (1) Wield Skill, (2) Damage type skill. (These are my terms.)

Wield skills include: Fists, Staff, Great Staff, Spear, Great Spear, etc. They are maxed out all the time, and wholly level determined. For example, if you have a weapon with a skill minimum of 200, you will not be able to wield that until your relevant wield skill is 200, which will happen the instant you ding 40.

Damage type skills include: Crushing, Slashing, and Piercing. These influence how hard and how often you hit with a corresponding weapon. These are raised through use and only though use. If, for example, you haven't used a pierce weapon at all and have leveled all the way to 50, you could equip any fist pierce weapon in the game (if a Bruiser) but it would take quite a while for you to get you skill up high enough to hit anything.
  4. ARCHIVED-CosmicAcidGuru Guest

thanks for the info.

But what is then the purpose of skills like Brawl that increase Fist skill? It looks useless to me then.

Cosmic Acid Guru
  5. ARCHIVED-Opaki Guest

With Brawl on, your fist skill goes up 20. This means that if you have fist weapons equipped, you're wielding them 4 levels higher than your real skill. Or, in other words, you hit more often and harder with Brawl on.
  6. ARCHIVED-Aeroblade Guest

Youll be happy to know, that slashing skill will be needed for some high end raid mobs that are crush immune.
  7. ARCHIVED-Mandiepal Guest

I think it's an over-sight, because we have Slash weapons already(Cestii) and Pierce(Spiked Cestus), so Fistwraps should be Crushing, I mean they just wrap the fists, and they are blunt, so why do they do slashing? *sigh*

Wish SOE would fix them if they are broken, and if not, make them crush anyway. I hate using Maces, Batons and Staves, I'm not a monk, I like to use my fists to bash someone's skull in. ;P

P.S. Change our 40 and 50 lvl fun combat arts please, I refuse to buy them until they are changed. They are just stupid...
  8. ARCHIVED-Opaki Guest

If you want crushing fist weapons, get some knuckles. They're crushing. There are some very nice ones that are master drops in Permafrost; the ebon player made ones are also nice.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mandiepal Guest

I check the Broker and Black Market several times everyday, never saw any for sale yet. I will still keep looking though. =)
  10. ARCHIVED-Moskito Guest

Can anyone please confirm, that Fistwraps are slashing?
    I am unsing some augmented fistwraps (dropped not player made) and i think they are Crushing.

Could please someone who has the Weapon confirm, that

Pristine tailored augmented Spiked Cestus ---- are piercing ?
    Pristine tailored augmendet Leather Cestii ----- are slashing ?

Thanks !