Why cant Brawlers have double attack? Plus some monk improvement suggestions

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Ramius613, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Ramius613 Guest

Ok, 2 GU have come & gone since the "FIX" of KoS AAs. My question is, Why hasn't anything been done with the brawler STR line? The initial change was ridiculously stupid, and received A LOT of negative feedback, along with constructive suggestions as to what we, as a community, thought would be a good alternative. The result, they(devs) just rolled back the STR AA line to what it was originally. At first, I thought, okay, maybe they are going to fix it with the EoF AAs, as a late thing since the rollback change didn't take place until like a week before. GU 37 came, more "FIXES" to EoF AAs, with no mention of the STR line.
    Now here we are at GU 38, and they give us a watered down, nerfed to hell version of what could have been a class defining, not to mention raid defining, and all around pretty cool spell. At least the monks, got away clean, they took away the brawler DPS buff and gave them +CA damage. Why aren't they giving us something? Our class is one of the most broken in the game, from low dps and HPs(which they have said we should have the most of all the fighters), to the totally jacked up way our avoidance works for tanking.
    In conclusion, I'll list off a number of the suggestions that have been made on the numerous pages of threads(100+) that would help fix our class in many ways. This is also to help people get a better idea of what has been suggested without having to sift through 40+ page threads.
    Tanking:
    Give us more uncontested avoidance than Plate wearers. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 35% in def, 27-28% in spider, and 20% in off stance. I dont think that would be too "Risky."
    Make our dragon stance have the ability to proc an AE taunt. This could be done via AAs, or just changing the spell altogether. Somewhere along the lines of 15-20% on a melee attack. We have Mongoose stance for when we're not tanking, and if you don't have it, you can always turn off Dragon Stance.
    DPS:
    Give us(monks) some DPS buff. Maybe a split of DPS & Haste for Everburning flame. We have enough haste (I'm referring to monks, sorry I don't have enough knowledge of bruisers to comment accurately). Give the bruiser back his DPS buff, and throw in some haste while you're at it.
    Utility:
    I think this issue has been addressed fairly adequately with some of the recent changes. Although I would like to see the ability to cast mongoose stance on a raid ally as mentioned in GU #37.
    KoS AAs:
    First and Foremost, DOUBLE ATTACK WITH WEAPONS, and remove the barefist requirement from the STR line. I don't think 3.5% dbl atk per rank would be too out of line.
    Replace Crane Twirl(I think?) AE with a multiattack that would scale with weapons.
    Return us to 22% crit chance like all other fighters.
    EoF AAs:
    I don't have much on this part, as I can't remember specifics of how to fix them, only that they are inferior to other AA trees.
    If I have left out any suggestions, feel free to add them. I would also like to thank all of my fellow monks that have made these suggestions(both on this board, as well as the In Testing board). Also if there are any bruisers that happen to be cruising this forum, bring your suggestions too, as we all need help in the brawler community.
    Once again, these are suggestions that have been put forth, and I would like to see more. Please keep them constructive, and not a bickering-fest that some of the other threads have become.
    I think I doomed this post with that last part
  2. ARCHIVED-MadBarman Guest

Ramius613 wrote:
    Some nice suggestions there. The change to crane twirl to being a % chance to hit multiple targets with our autoattack is something a lot of monks and bruisers have been wanting for a long time. Interesting you mentioned the critical hit chance achievment. I was talking to a friend the other day and couldn't remember the reasoning that was given behind this being reduced, although I think it had something to do with us doing more DPS than other fighters (which we are meant to I thought).

Thinking about the strength line I had an idea almost like double attack. Going along the lines of brawlers hitting quickly and unexpectedly you could have a % chance to get an extra autoattack after using a combat art. E.g. at rank 8 it would be a 20% chance to get an extra auto attack hit after a successful combat art attack.

As for the EoF lines one thing I'd ask for is a change to the enhance: soaring dragon (monks DoT attack). I believe this was changed recently to actually increase the damage on every tick, which is a lot better than just being the initial strike. The only problem with this attack is the duration. To make it worth using you need to be sure you are going to get the full 24 second use out of it. So I would propose the following change to the Enhance AA: decrease the damage increase from 5% to 3% per rank (applying it to every tick) and add a further effect of reduce duration by 2 seconds per rank (similar to several other class DoT acheivements). That would give a total of 15% extra damage and reduce the duration to 14 seconds, with a tick happening every ~2.3 seconds.

Then there is the enhance: dragonbreath achievment. Whoever thought adding 2 meters to the range per rank is a good idea is certifiably mad :p. As it is you have to be careful and position both the targets and yourself just right to avoid getting adds. Increaseing the range to 20 meters makes this even worse. While I like the reduction in recast this increase in range has kept me from spending any points in the acheivement. I would prefer having an increase in damage (2% per rank) instead of increased range.

I can't think of anything else to do with the rest of the achievements at the moment. I'd like to see what other monks think.

[edit for spelling]
  3. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Brawlers used to have a higher auto attack damage table than other fighters, so our melee crit AA was nerfed in an effort to equalize the received damage boost. However, several updates ago, crusader and warrior double attack tables were changed to be equal to the brawler table. For whatever reason, brawler crits were never revised to reflect the change, though.
    I've worn myself out showing where/why I think changes should be made, so I'll refrain from doing it again here.
    My basic wishlist is:
    Uncontested avoidance - We should have more uncontested avoidance than a plate tank in any equivalent situation. It is mind-boggling to think an avoiance tank has the least avodiance out of all tanks.
    DPS AA's - Our static proc AAs should be changed to AAs that work off of weapon damage to match what other fighters have. Specifically: Crane twirl should be made into the same 8% per rank multi attack ability that is standard to other fighters. The str line should be revised such that we can get riposte and double attack mods with weapons. Either a 25ish% double attack without weapon restriction, or a 60ish% double attack with a one weapon restriction similar to what rogues have would work. No weapon restriction at all on riposte is necessary. Finally, now that all fighters have the same base attack table, brawler melee crit AAs should be restored to their original fighter values.
  4. ARCHIVED-LTrav2k Guest

If they're not looking to fix the uncontested avoidance for us, maybe we should look into a different method of utilizing our defensive stance. We have all said the main reason it becomes useless is because it lowers our attack bonuses so much that we can't benefit from our taunt stance. If solely from our defensive stance alone had a method of counterattack in order to compensate for our reduced damage output, would that make a few things easier for us? It could be something like this:
    While in their primary defensive stance, a monk has a chance to counterattack with karmic blow whenever he deflects, parries, or ripostes an incoming attack.
    On a successful riposte, this stance has a 25% chance to apply Karmic Blow to attacker:
    -Inflicts 350 - 500 damage
    -dazes target for 1 second if not epic
    -Increases threat by 300
    On a successful parry, this stance has a 20% chance to apply Karmic Blow to attacker:
    -dazes target for 1 seconds if not epic
    -Increases threat by 300
    On a successful deflection, this stance has a 15% chance to apply Karmic Blow to attacker:
    -dazes target for 1 second if not epic
    -Increases threat by 300

This makes more of a our defensive gear worthwhile, and I don't think the percentages would make tsunami or superior riposte broken. I really think it should debuff in some way shape or form also, bu I'm not sure what would keep balance.