Why are names reserved or "Naughty"

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by OP hAZE, Apr 24, 2023.

1. OP hAZE New Member

Tried using my two names I use in almost every game, Haze and Digital. Both are "Reserved or too naughty". Why is this even a thing? Such a buzz kill right off the bat. Guess Ill be Desklamp Oreos or some other random name I generate from things around me.
  2. Finora Well-Known Member

Digital doesn't seem to be one that is allowed (who knows why) however Haze is already claimed on at least a couple servers, possibly one that you are trying to play on.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Jovie Well-Known Member

While EQ2 does many things right, they fail horribly when it comes to character names.
    It is understandable if names are mean, racist, etc, but a lot of what is not allowed is silly.
    I do wish that they would changes things up and allow first and last names at character select, so that more people could get more reasonable names.
  4. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the issue is that there is an NPC with the name...happened to me lol. I have a fury I made back in 2008 named Yrsa. When Velious came out there was a mission NPC named Yrsa, and when I tried to transfer servers years after that I had to change my name because the name was now "reserved". (There were no other Yrsa's on that server, I did check at the time.) I remember laughing when I noticed the NPC and called her a copycat lol.
    Twyla and Breanna like this.
  5. Taled Well-Known Member

That sounds nice until you realize you'd have to type everyone's full name every time you wanted to send a tell, and players would no longer have the option to change their surname as often as they like for free.

As for the OP - 'Haze' exists as a character on multiple servers, so more likely you tried to create one where it already existed. Digital is likely blocked for some inane policy back in the day about using common real words as your name. (I feel like SOE had a rule blocking a lot of regular words) You could almost certainly use the name 'Digitalhaze' without the filter blocking it as long as the server doesn't already have one.
    Dude, Breanna and Finora like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have a character named Hulda, and I had her before the Sanctus Seru character ever existed. I understand conflicts!

As for what names are permitted or restricted, don't guess about it, read the actual Official EQ2 Naming Policy.

Right off the bat, it says, "All of the names you find in the world of EverQuest and EverQuest II should be consistent with the spirit of the game." That would seem to nix "Digital".

A lot of people have problems when they try to use a very overused name. I can't even think of how many variants of Gandalf, Legolas, and Wolverine, to cite a few, are out there. The Noob comic played on this a long while back:

[IMG]

"Haze" is in use on Thurgadin and Nagafen, looks like. You can see what names are taken where by looking for them on EQ2U's Character Search. Names such as Darkhaze and Blackhaze are in use on a couple of servers, but maybe not the one you're playing on? But Nighthaze and Hazekiller don't appear to be in use at all. I'm sure you could figure out other possibilities.

Additionally, there are thousands of cool names out there you could use. I always recommend the Medieval Names Archive as a good place to browse for unusual names.
    Twyla, Finora and Geroblue like this.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

I imagine the devs and GMs reserve names, too, which is fine if they actually play those characters whose names they have prevented the player base from using.
    Geroblue likes this.
  8. Kenn Well-Known Member

I had the name MasterKain and about 3 months later it was changed because it had the word Master lol.
  9. Almee Well-Known Member

I named one of my characters, "Mariam," after the Biblical character and it seems DB later used that name for an NPC and changed my character's name to Mariem.
  10. Jovie Well-Known Member

It is doable without typing in a surname. They could enable a system where you start typing the name and it gives options for the full address for the tell. ESO does it, and it is fast and easy and wonderful.
    Siren likes this.
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

And probably a pain to actually code into a system that was never designed for it. :/
    Aggy, Siren and Taled like this.
  12. Jovie Well-Known Member

Devs can either rest on their laurels or put in the work to at least try to bring the game into the 21st century.
  13. The-Plethora Active Member

I had a character I used to port to at the bottom of Soluseks eye called "ridiculous microtransactions", no problem at all :)
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Right up to the moment a dev spots it or much more likely, some other player sees it and turns in a /petition grumbling about the name.