White adornments - which ones take priority?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by VeilShard, Dec 10, 2014.

1. VeilShard Active Member

I am looking at the greater adornments 96+ and I dont want to make the wrong choice since they are expensive. Which ones are better for casters to prioritize? Crit chance adornment is 12% I believe but is there a soft cap on crit? INT is 92, and then there's also magical skills and ability mod ones. How can you tell what max ability mod is based on potency again?

Thanks!
  2. Dedith Well-Known Member

Crit Chance - no cap. 100% gets you crits, but the higher you get the more likely you'll get legendary, fabled, and mythical crits. Note, this is an AoM expansion thing and older zones still may have critical avoiding that you'd need to be over to get base critical hits.

Ability Mod - The cap on this is different for each spell. Your spell tooltips in game are showing you the base damage times your potency plus your ability mod (at it's cap for that spell). With spell values at present, it's likely rare for ability mod to cap the average spell, so the (spell/CA tool tip max damage - your current ability mod) / 2 would be close to your ability mod cap for that spell. Note, Green or Blue AoE spells divide by 1/3 instead.

White adornments - Personally, I prefer to use casting speed adornments to let me reforge out of casting speed as that stat is heavily weighted in the reforge system. However, I make sure that I still sit at 100% casting speed when I'm done. Electrified adorns from AoM Solo and Adv Solo are 10% casting speed and work on lvl 95 gear. Otherwise, I'd go for Sta > Skills (magical here) > Crit Chance > Primary Stat (Int here). If you're low on Ability Mod, you can add it in there, but frankly the adorns do not give much.
    VeilShard likes this.
  3. Laiina Well-Known Member

I have to agree that the adorns do not add a lot. Seems they have not kept up with the general stat inflation on gear. Adding 5-10% to a stat that is already in the 700+ range simply won't do a lot. IMO all empty slots should be filled if possible, but white adorns will not be a game changer.
  4. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

TBH, I seem to get the most mileage out of Cast Speed/MA Adorns on my lower level chars, and after looking over my main (hilariously) I realize I could probably fix my stats up a LOT better if I just focused on those adorns over what I have.

I imagine it's the same up there at 100 as well :p
  5. Lare Active Member

You are asking such an open ended question it sort of tells me that you really not sure what you are reforging into or what you are doing with your White Adornments.

Simply it depends on what caster class you are playing, what gear you have now and what your other stats are and what u want them to be.

Some whites allow you to reforge into other stats but there is no right answer that fits everyone it really depends on your stats currently and how to manage them.

I am forever reforging and rethinking what adornments I can place where.

But class and gear really can make a difference to what you choose in each slot.
  6. arturos Active Member

Then you add in the purples and that outta blow thier mind.
  7. arturos Active Member

ability mod is crap.. cast speed/primary stat if your a pure caster get the magics. If your a hybrid get the weapons and magics prismatic resists for the ears wrists and fingers. crit bonus/potency for the weapons after reforging you can adjust with dps or attack speed adorns and what not.
    Jodiph likes this.
  8. VeilShard Active Member

Ok let me elaborate, I play a necro, I primarily craft and solo/duo so Im in the process of crafting and experimenting to visionary mastercrafted. I don't do much heroic content so this is probably the best I will get for a while. (depending on when I get the rares needed) So I cannot reforge. I have used mostly the ability mod peices but have had to use a couple of the peices with a lot of casting speed to get it to 100. There seems to be wayy too much re-use speed on crafted gear but there's not much I can do about those unless they add reforging.

So far Im wondering what extra white adorns to add, like if there's an option between crit chance and magical skill, ability mod, int, etc.. which one is the most bang for your buck
  9. VeilShard Active Member

Thanks! But I am a bit confused. In your first paragraph you said Crit chance but later you say magical skills is more important. If its a choice between the 2 which is best? Also I am a necro and in the process of crafting visionary MC armor and gear for myself (as funds and rares permit) so I cannot reforge the extra stats unfortunatly but am making sure to be at least 100 cast speed and re-use is already way over cap=( But since I don't do much heroic it's the best option now.
  10. Nezette Well-Known Member

Since you're putting them on mastercrafted, I'd avoid casting speed because the whole point of those are for reforging out of it. Since you can't reforge mastercrafted, this solves this problem.

As for CC vs. magic skills-- that depends on your skills. CC is what I consider the bonus stat-- the desert, if you will. If you've capped all your other stats, go with it. If not, get your other stats.
    VeilShard likes this.
  11. Dedith Well-Known Member

You had asked several questions. The last paragraph is talking about the order of taking the adornments, but as Nezette mentioned, MC or Handcrafted gear cannot be reforged so going over cap on anything is wasted stats.
  12. VeilShard Active Member

Thanks, I guess I should ask what magic skills should be at at lvl 100? I don't fully understand how they work even though I know it's important. Like how much extra magical skill should I get before putting the rest into crit chance., thanks again for the info
  13. arturos Active Member

my disrupt is over 2k and im pretty sure thats on the light side. I do that so i can still use previous tier masters and not worry about hit rate.
  14. Lare Active Member

For starters I would not have bought the Master Crafted gear its not value for money.

You can buy the Windjammer gear from the Tower at the wanderer Dock. It can be reforged and gives you more choices. Its stats are slightly lower but the benefit is you can actually reforge it. (meaning you get more to play with)

What I would suggest even though you are a necro I would go read mogrims guild to warlocks Mage forums and look at what blue stats he is talking about because they are very similar to what you would be looking for.

Because life burn is meh atm you really will be focusing on just getting the basic stats as high as you can.

Don't bother with Disruption and CC can be gained via food and even green pots.
  15. VeilShard Active Member

Well, I harvested and made it all myself so it didnt cost me any extra at least. Also it would be quite some time before I got enough ferrins since I don't group that much so right now its the best I can get. Also Im kinda saving ferrins for war runes since they seem to be a huge bang for your buck. But I can always upgrade later to better gear. Ill check the merchant though to see what I need to get it

Thanks for the advice I will check out Mogrims guide!
  16. Lare Active Member

The gear I was talking about you can buy for like 2p each
  17. VeilShard Active Member

Oh I thought it was ferrin gear, my bad, Ill go check it out.